Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2011, 04:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I would go with an nVidia card if you want to use two. The drivers are much better and support is better. Get two GTX 570s, that will save you some money and get you better performance (and it will fit in the 750 watt power supply that you have, though get something better than coolermaster.) Compared to the "6950 unlocked to a 6970", that is probably not a good idea. It will void your warranty (if it works), and the 570s will overclock above what these warranty voided cards will do.
Old November 22, 2011, 12:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

does anybody know if the Gigabyte G1.Assassin2 Motherboard will fit in the Corsair Obsidian 650D Case and if the Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler will fit in it i will be building soon and i like this case if any one could help it would be great thaks
Old November 28, 2011, 01:48 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

updated pc components i have quie a big budget i wold prefer around the $4.500 ut if i need to spend more i will

Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD
Corsair Obsidian 800D Case
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with Battlefield 3
Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M4X1600C8 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 ( may change depens on what latancy comes out )
Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7 3930K
Antec High Current Pro 1200W Power Supply HCP-1200
HIS Radeon HD6990 4GB

does any know of a good soud card and raid controller
Old November 28, 2011, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've a few points here. Obviously your free to do as you will but please take what I say with some consideration and as genuinely friendly advice.

Unless your folding, overclocking the ass off it, doing large video edits / rendering etc, then your insane.
If you really want such a high end machine then I suggest you save a bit of cash and get a better monitor as 1080 won't push any of the hardware you have listed for quite a while.

On the GFX card..
Seriously don't waste your money on a 6990 when your monitor is 1080.

Get a single 580 and add another later if you see a dip in your performance.
You would be as mad for buying it as if you'd gone for an amd or a 990X intel cpu..

Can I ask what you going to be running on this build?
Also, are you going to be over-clocking it?

If it's gaming and not over-clocking (many people plan to but never do) then your seriously spending ALLOT more money than you need.

With a gaming rig ( especially at 1920 x1080 ) a few points.

1 ) an i7 2600k / 2700k is overkill, you will see NO difference in 99.9% of games. Get an i52500k.
2 ) SSD and raid on HDD's. Someone else mentioned it.. drop the raid and get a WD green 2TB.
3 ) GPU, 6990 is an insane choice. It's 2 GPU's on one card which means it's basically X-fire already and 2 6990's will be quad x-fire.
You would be crazy to go down this road as the radions have SHIT support for x-fire in comparison to Nvidia's SLI.
Again, add to this the res your playing at and your in need of a head examination.
4 ) your motherboard. Unless your going to OC the pants off the rig your wasting your money(if you spend over 200$ unsure of it's price but saw your budget for it)
5 ) Ram, 4X4GB is again insane for a gaming rig.. you will NEVER use it. (in this generation or next)
Running win 7 Ultimate with lots of shiz in the background (steam, skype, live messenger, ts, chrome with 15 tabs open, music, utorrent and 5 gadgets I'm currently using 4GB
Unless you want to use all that and do video editing at the same time then you'll never touch 8 GB never mind 16.

PSU, I actually agree with getting a nice and good larger than you need PSU.
Same goes for the case. I have the CM 690II and it's a good case if a bit loud and some awkward filters to get.
The 500R carbide looks properly sweet though. (The PSU filter is a pain in the 690II)

It looks more like an show-off build than anything.. bragging rights to a pair of 6990's?

Your shopping list (initially by mentioning 1200watt psu, pair of 6990's, intel990x, 300$ mobo etc) looks like you either just want the most expensive bits or simply the best bits from various reviews.
Doing this without thinking about what your going to do with it is silly and an enormous waste of money.

With ALL that said, what are you going to use this for?

Last edited by Dzzope; November 28, 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With the budget you have stated above you would be far better to get yourself 2 things which (like case and psu) will hold you in good stead for years to come.

1) Monitor. 27 inch at 1080 is.. erm... well not a great resolution to be honest.. it's the bog standard these days.

2) Speakers + headset/phones, Good audio equipment will, like a monitor, be a great asset for years to come.

Be it gaming movies music or graphic work browsing the net (basically anything to do with a pc) spending some money here will last you a long long time and improve your pc experience by a large margin.
Also a good monitor with a nice res will actually give you a reason to have such a high end pc.

(High quality audio requires a good sound-card)
Old November 28, 2011, 11:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Your shopping list (initially by mentioning 1200watt psu, pair of 6990's, intel990x, 300$ mobo etc) looks like you either just want the most expensive bits or simply the best bits from various reviews.
Doing this without thinking about what your going to do with it is silly and an enormous waste of money.

With ALL that said, what are you going to use this for?
I will be overcloing this pc and getting as much out of as possible and why im going so big is i will be doing alot of video edditig and i am currently learning programmig and wil be moving on to creating my own games in the not to distant future. the only reason i was going to go with a 27" monitor is at the time thats al my budget could afford now im waiting till after xmas to build im gong for atleast a 30" 3D, do you know of any good monitors. for now i will be using m 42" tv and get the monito in the later on

yes i will be doing alot of gaming (Cant wait for diablo 3) aswell but its mostly going to be a work pc trying to expand my knolwedge and hoping to become a games programmer/devloper (My dream job)
Old November 28, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The new "Samsung SyncMaster 27A850D, 27 PLS Monitor" looks super sweet (review released today here)

That makes more sense too.
With video editing, rendering and compiling your choices are more sane.
Though it's still a VERY high end box. Hope you'll get the use of it.
(it's well more than you need for learning on)
But hey, if you have the budget and it's what you want then why not. :)

But still I would go for a single 580 for now (and a second later) + a nice monitor
(the 27" is probably right up your street if not quite as good as a 30" IPS but at a good price point and good for all the things you want it for)

/edit,
As your doing video, a good set of speakers would be great too (little worse than getting a good edit and the sound letting you down)
Others here will be able to point you in the direction of some good quality speakers better than me.
Some low end studio monitors would be best (good reproduction rather than anything else)

3D monitor ?
Generally a 3D (not 100% on this) monitor is tn panel (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) which isn't going to give you good colour reproduction which, like the sound, is pretty important for any kind of visual / multi-media work.
The bonus of that particular monitor is it is excellent (from the reviews) at everything you have listed and has a decent resolution.

Last edited by Dzzope; November 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old November 29, 2011, 01:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

3D monitor ?
Generally a 3D (not 100% on this) monitor is tn panel (correct me if I'm wrong here guys) which isn't going to give you good colour reproduction which, like the sound, is pretty important for any kind of visual / multi-media work.
The bonus of that particular monitor is it is excellent (from the reviews) at everything you have listed and has a decent resolution.
I dont rl need 3D monitor would like one tho id oly use the 3D aspect when gamig or watching 3D bluray bt i was thinking of upgrading my tv to a 3D one anyway so i willost likly just go with a 30" monitor as for brand probably samsung, but im going to do more research on that coz under no sercumstace do i want a glossy screen i hate them with a vengance gorram reflection drives me nuts

Tags
build , linus i need help , new pc