Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old November 7, 2011, 08:09 AM
MVP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 265
Default

The Marvell controller is allegedly pretty awful, just so you know. Awful as in awfully slow transfer speeds, somewhat of a PITA to configure properly. For a straight up storage drive, probably not a big problem, but it'd still be better on the (4 of them) 3G ports that are part of the Intel chipset.
__________________
2600K @4.6 for now, still tweaking.
P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
Patriot Div2 Viper Extreme PC3-15000 4GBx2 (1866 9-11-9-27-2)
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old November 7, 2011, 02:51 PM
musicman's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 29

My System Specs

Default

If money is not a factor go for the Corsair AX1200. And for a case Corsair Odsidian or Silverstone Raven
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2011, 12:04 AM
southbay's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 56

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.y.wan View Post
The 6990... at a price point of 770 dollars, I would suggest you to just buy two 6950 2GB and unlock them to 6970s... They are 260 dollars cheaper, "quieter" and out performing the 6990... (Using more juice though)

6950 2GB:
NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5.0GHZ DDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DP Dual Fan PCI-E Video Card - PowerColor - AX6950 2GBD5-2DH - in Canada

I am very impressed with your courage to buy the bulldozer, even knowing how much it is outperformed in various benchmarks and reviews. (I didn't say it is a very wise decision though)

As far as PSUs, I have 2 from coolermaster, very solid and quiet so far.
NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster GX 750W 80+ Power Supply SLI ATX12V V2.31 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 120MM Fan - COOLERMASTER - RS750-ACAAE3 - in Canada
Two words... Micro Stuttering.
__________________

Corsair 550d
Intel i5 Quad Core 2500k @4ghz
GTX 570
Asus
Corsair HX 750W
G.Skill sniper 2x4GB
OCZ Agility Series 60GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,383

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbay View Post
Two words... Micro Stuttering.
You forget that a 6990 is just two underclocked 6970's in crossfire and are just as likely to produce micro-stuttering.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2011, 05:30 AM
odis172's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 683

My System Specs

Default

For how expensive 1tb black drives are these days, I would drop one and get an ssd. Intel 320 I would go for. NCIX.com - Buy Intel 320 Series GEN3 120GB 2.5IN SSD SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive OEM - Intel - SSDSA2CW120G310 - in Canada
You may be able to find a better deal for the ssd if you look at sale prices. Consider dropping the 2nd 1tb black and going 2tb green, depending on price.
__________________
Laptop: Lenovo T420 - Core i5 2520 - 8GB DDR3
Server: 2 xeon E5530 - Asus Z8N-D6 - 12GB DDR3 - 8x 500GB raid 50 - Perc 6/i - Compucase RA448A00
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old November 9, 2011, 08:01 AM
southbay's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 56

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
You forget that a 6990 is just two underclocked 6970's in crossfire and are just as likely to produce micro-stuttering.
I didn't forget that at all... I never suggested either of those things?
__________________

Corsair 550d
Intel i5 Quad Core 2500k @4ghz
GTX 570
Asus
Corsair HX 750W
G.Skill sniper 2x4GB
OCZ Agility Series 60GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old November 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 25

My System Specs

Default

Here is my udated system most likely be building in about 3 weeks need $600

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD 2.5"
HIS Radeon HD6990 4GB
Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500 Laser Gaming Mouse
Intel Core i7 2600K
Antec High Current Pro 1200W Power Supply HCP-1200
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3 Motherboard
Corsair Obsidian 650D Case
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH (4x4GB) DDR3 7-7-7-21
Samsung SH-B123A 12X Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
WD caviar black 1TB x 2 in raid 0
Samsung 27" 3D Widescreen LED, 1920x1080, 120hz, 2ms, HDMI, Display Port, DVI

all up its costing about $3675 Aud
Samsung 27" 3D Widescreen LED, 1920x1080, 120hz, 2ms, HDMI, Display Port, DVI, 3D Glasses Included
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old November 14, 2011, 11:21 PM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 159

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.y.wan View Post
The 6990... at a price point of 770 dollars, I would suggest you to just buy two 6950 2GB and unlock them to 6970s... They are 260 dollars cheaper, "quieter" and out performing the 6990... (Using more juice though)

6950 2GB:
NCIX.com - Buy Powercolor Radeon HD 6950 800MHZ 2GB 5.0GHZ DDR5 2XDVI HDMI 2x Mini DP Dual Fan PCI-E Video Card - PowerColor - AX6950 2GBD5-2DH - in Canada

I am very impressed with your courage to buy the bulldozer, even knowing how much it is outperformed in various benchmarks and reviews. (I didn't say it is a very wise decision though)

As far as PSUs, I have 2 from coolermaster, very solid and quiet so far.
NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster GX 750W 80+ Power Supply SLI ATX12V V2.31 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 120MM Fan - COOLERMASTER - RS750-ACAAE3 - in Canada

Only the first revision reference design cards can be unlocked, the newer cards have the cores laser cut so you cannot unlock them. If the 6990 is $770, may I recommend 2 560ti's? they are neck to neck with 6950 at stock speeds they overclock very well(beats 6950 easily,can beat gtx570)
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2011, 12:28 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 25

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103194 View Post
Only the first revision reference design cards can be unlocked, the newer cards have the cores laser cut so you cannot unlock them. If the 6990 is $770, may I recommend 2 560ti's? they are neck to neck with 6950 at stock speeds they overclock very well(beats 6950 easily,can beat gtx570)
i will enventually be running 2 6990 in in crossfire when the 700 series comes out cos they will drop in price drematicaly.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old November 15, 2011, 01:32 AM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
i will enventually be running 2 6990 in in crossfire when the 700 series comes out cos they will drop in price drematicaly.
I get a kick out of seeing these statements.....from what I have seen, particularly with high end GPU's, even after they're officially EOL, the price does not go down....any left over supply is still priced high until they disappear.....the only way you'll get em cheaper is used.
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
build , linus i need help , new pc

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building my first rig... RareformEX New Builds 10 January 12, 2011 03:27 AM
Building An i7-870 Rig... nashx New Builds 8 January 9, 2011 09:10 PM
Building first rig austmart New Builds 8 June 30, 2009 11:41 AM
Building right now... need a little help somecanadianguy New Builds 44 April 4, 2009 05:36 PM
Building my first rig for under $700 Vethrik New Builds 12 February 10, 2009 02:53 PM