Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
Rookie

Default New Build

Good Evening,

I am looking to build a new desktop for myself. I've decided to give my daughter my old one, that I had built last year. I've compiled a list of parts from reading various articles and looking at other builds on this and other forums. Too be honest I haven't a clue what I am doing. I hope to build this computer with a friend of mine.

Of the parts below, I will be using the Storm Trooper case, and at least two Hitachi 2T or two 3T drives, if the 3T is better. I would like to use at least one SSD no less than 120GB for the C drive. I presently have a Corsair 850 Pro Gold in the comp I'm giving my daughter and would like to stick with that. I would put Corsair pro gold 1200 watt in as a possible choice, as some day in the future I want to go SLi.

For motherboards & CPU. I haven't the foggiest as to what I should use. My old comp has an ASUS P6X58D-E with a i7 950. I have listed some items I thought that might be what I need. I pulled the prices from Memory Express for a rough idea of cost. Also before I forget, would the choice of RAM I put below be sufficent or should I put more or a different type?

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Cases:
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower $189.00

Motherboards with/without CPU:
Asus Rampage III Extreme w/ TripleDDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN,1394, PCI-E, CrossFireX / SLI. $ 364.99
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard w/ Intel Core™ i7-2600K Processor $524.98
Asus P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard w/ Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor $424.98
Asus P8Z68-V PRO w/ Dual DDR3 1600, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 1394, $204.99
CrossFireX / SLI
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard w/ Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor $374.99

CPU:
Intel Core™ i7-2600K Processor, 3.40GHz w/ 8MB Cache $319.99
Intel Core™ i5-2500K Processor, 3.30GHz w/ 6MB Cache $219.99

PSU:
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX 850W Power Supply $199.99
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX 1200W Power Supply $289.99

RAM:
GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-17000 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) $94.99

Hard Drive:
OCZ Vertex 2 E Series 2.5in SATA II Solid State Drive, 240GB $309.99
OCZ Vertex 3 Series SATA III MAX IOPS, 120GB $269.99
Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K3000 SATA III Internal Drive Kit w/ 64MB Cache $129.99
Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K3000 SATA III Internal Drive Kit w/ 64MB Cache $129.99

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing. Work, Painter 12, Photoshop and some gaming.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread. Price doesn't really matter if I want it, I'll get it, but for discussion sake lets say $1500.00

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. Canada

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture. I prefer Intel, nVidia, corsair, ASUS motherboards, but I'm open to something else if need be and I will be using a Coolermaster case.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. I wil not be reusing any parts

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads. I have, mainly here and Memory Express

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. I think I will run at default speeds for now, but in the future I would like to try overclocking. I don't much about it.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? As soon as my CM Storm Trooper case arrives.

9. What resolution do you use? I use an ASUS PA246Q at 1900 x 1200

Last edited by Mr.Atomic; October 27, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: more info and hotel internet crapped out. editing wth cellphone.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Hello,

I was hoping for any suggestions or ideas. I really need some help here.

I was wondering what motherboard and CPU I should use, as well as video card. When it comes to games I would be looking at BF3 & Skyrim, as well as learning how to use Painter 12 and Photoshop.

I mentioned I am going to use a Corsair Pro gold 850, but wasn't sure if that would be good for Sli, which is what I hope to do, down the road.

Again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much for any time anyone can spare.

One question, what is the difference between an LGA 1155 board and a LGA 1366 board?
Old October 27, 2011, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey there:
A configuration like this i think would suit your needs very well

GTX 570 ~$360
---------------------------------------------------------------
$1080
not including drives, case, cooler etc.

A solid psu like the corsair AX850 would be fine for sli (2-way). Also, socket LGA 1155 is the latest socket from intel, supporting the latest chips. 1366 has been around for a number of years and isn't worth getting into at this stage of the game. the 2500K (LGA 1155) chip is great for games, and anything else you might throw at it. Not to mention they overclock very well.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks very much dandelioneater, I great appreciate the advice. I will check it out. For the video card what is a good brand. I remember a few years back I had an nvidia evga and that was nice.

How does the ASUS fair against the evga brand?

Also does the motherboard you suggested, support 2TB or 3TB hard drives, as well as SSD?

Thanks again for your help.

Edit:
Sorry dandelioneater; I should have read about the card first before I posted the above. As I see has SSD capabilities and will run 3TB, as well

Last edited by Mr.Atomic; October 27, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LGA1366 is in general more expensive, for more powerful CPUs, is older generation also. What will your daughter use it for? If I were you I would keep that i7, overclock it if you really need more horsepower and build her a smaller PC, a core i5 should do the job. You don't tell us what your daughter will do with it so is difficult to make an idea.
Old October 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
Rookie

My daughter is taking Education at University and she writes a lot of papers and prepares presentations for her classes. Also she has her own part-time Photography company and uses Adobe Creative Suite a lot, with her Mac Bookpro. She does weddings, family photo shoots Music Album shoots,stuff of that nature. It's her hobby, she has a flair for it, I guess you could say and I thought I would provide her with something that might help her out. The computer I thought of giving her was a Supped up Overdrive PC, that I upgraded last year, after I set it on fire.

I was going to put in an SSD drive for her and maybe a Hitachi 3TB drive as the secondary. It also has a LG Blu ray burner and a HIS 2GB 5870 Vid Card in it. she always liked using that for her photos stuff.

This is going to be a Christmas present so I could put whatever is required in the Lian Li Full Tower Case that i7 is in now and move the components from that case over to the CM Storm Trooper Case I just purchased, but don't have yet.

Thanks very much MARSTG for the information, it is much appreciated.

Last edited by Mr.Atomic; October 27, 2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old October 27, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Atomic View Post
Thanks very much dandelioneater, I great appreciate the advice. I will check it out. For the video card what is a good brand. I remember a few years back I had an nvidia evga and that was nice.

How does the ASUS fair against the evga brand?
I think the general consensus is that EVGA cards are very good. They have great customer support service etc. I've never owned an EVGA video card, but I have bought, palit, pny, sparkle, msi. I usually go for the least expensive reference cards I can find because they are all the same IMO.

I think the i7 system would be fine for your daughter and would last her a long time. An ssd and large storage drive would be great for storing her data. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Old October 27, 2011, 10:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I think the general consensus is that EVGA cards are very good. They have great customer support service etc. I've never owned an EVGA video card, but I have bought, palit, pny, sparkle, msi. I usually go for the least expensive reference cards I can find because they are all the same IMO.

I think the i7 system would be fine for your daughter and would last her a long time. An ssd and large storage drive would be great for storing her data. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Excellent, thanks again dandelioneater. This is greatly appreciated.

I am going to go with your suggestions and some other items. Do you have a recommendation for a 120GB SSD and do you notice anything else that maybe required for my build? For the Daughter I just need the new SSD. I will have a 2 TB put in for her and if she needs more space I can always add it later or get her a stand alone drive, whatever she prefers. I guess I could taking everything for her and put it all in a smaller case, as the Lian Li is not only big, but heavy.

Cooler Master Storm Trooper Full Tower $189.00
SSD??? (my daughter)
Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K3000 SATA III Internal Drive Kit w/ 64MB Cache $129.99 (myself)
Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K3000 SATA III Internal Drive Kit w/ 64MB Cache $129.99 (my daughter)

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked (Fermi) 1280MB GDDR5 $359.99
D-Link Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter (Wireless) $49.99
Old October 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
Rookie

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what 120 GB SSD I should pick up and what would be a good cooler for the cpu?
Old October 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have the Crucial M4 128gb SSD, and I love it, I got mine from NCIX for $179.99 (Price Matched) so they are very reasonably priced when you can find a good sale. However with the supposed fix to the sandforce controller an OCZ Vertex 3 will be a faster option.
Pretty well the go to CPU cooler is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 or 212+ if you aren't going to be pushing lots of voltage at the CPU.