Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Going to upgrade, just wanted to double check (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/47573-going-upgrade-just-wanted-double-check.html)

penguinsandpearls October 22, 2011 11:23 PM

Going to upgrade, just wanted to double check
 
Hey,

I'm pretty much set on an upgrade for BF3, Arkham City, and all the other new games. I'm just looking for some words of encouragement so I can go into the store and buy something with confidence, knowing it'll be worth it.

Right now, I've got:
AMD Athlon 7850 BE Kuma (OC'd to 3.0GHz)
Asus M4A77D
2x4GB + 2x2GB DDR2 RAM
ATI 5770
OCZ ModXStream 500w PSU
Case.

I'm planning on going with a 560 ti (this one: Newegg.ca - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card). Just wanted to check that my CPU won't be bottlenecking it TOO much? I want to play BF3 with nice frame rates without having console level graphics. I know my cpu is an oldie, and I'm going to be upgrading, but I'm trying to hold out until the new Intels come out next year for a complete overhaul (you know, with that newfangled DDR3 RAM). And the 560ti should still be relevant next year, right? Cause I know it has been on the market for almost a year already, and I figure atleast this way I can get a bit of gaming in before a complete overhaul.

So great members of hardware canucks, want to help convince me that this upgrade is the right one for me?

dma0991 October 22, 2011 11:56 PM

Since this is a dual core and a pretty old one I'd say the bottlenecking will be pretty bad. Those games you're playing are quite CPU intensive as well and these days quaddie are the norm with games. The current rig you have there should be able to play all the games you've listed with at least low to medium settings and I think it is best that you wait it out till next year for a complete overhaul of the rig with the new HD7000 series and GTX600 series cards coming out next year. The cards coming out next year should be the lower end ones but it could be comparable in performance to the GTX560 Ti.

GT7R October 23, 2011 03:04 AM

That CPU will bottleneck the 560Ti considerably (depends also on your resolution).
That being said, the CPU won't affect the visual quality you'll be able to run. Means lets say if it will be able run BF3 at 40 FPS, the CPU will do 40 regardless your GPU & IQ settings.

penguinsandpearls October 23, 2011 09:18 AM

Oh, I should have added that my resolution is 1680x1050 with no intention on upgrading my monitor.
I should revise my initial statement: I would *like* to overhaul my system next year, but if there is something I can do in the present that might eke out another year of performance, that would be even better, since an overhaul would be quite costly (almost new everything given my system at the moment).
If my CPU is bottlenecking it as much as it will, do you guys think I should pick up maybe an AMD X4 955 processor for about $110? It's a bandaid solution, but if that means I won't HAVE to upgrade next year, then that would be great.

Thanks guys.

dma0991 October 23, 2011 10:52 AM

If you wish to do a minor upgrade then just get the Phenom II X4 955, just remember to update your BIOS before swapping the CPU. Probably a good idea since AMD might EOL the Phenom II series for their Bulldozer series which is not even better than Phenom II.

GT7R October 23, 2011 11:38 AM

A straight answer - With a 955BE you won't HAVE to upgrade at the next year or so, especially if you'll OC it.

Bond007 October 23, 2011 12:03 PM

My opinion-

560Ti is excellent bang for buck right now, and should be a fine GPU for another 1-2year at your resolution.

Your CPU WILL bottleneck the 560Ti, but it will depend on the game to what extent.

My opinion is to buy the GPU and see how your CPU does with the games you play. Then its your call to either go for a 955/1090 (IMO the only AMD processors to consider) if you feel you need it. Another factor to consider is that these CPU are becoming EOL soon and may become harder to find the longer you wait. If you plan on keeping the system for a while, then grab a new CPU. If you think you may have the funds to go to a new MOB CPU RAM in the next 6 months or so, then don't bother with a CPU now and put the money towards the new build.

penguinsandpearls October 23, 2011 12:11 PM

Just got back from the store. Looks like I'll do what bond007 says, and see how it goes with my current CPU. If I upgrade, then it'll be the processor next to 955.

Thanks for the help guys.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 AM.