Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 23, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
Seeing a beautiful case like that with dual 580's and then having that hideous 1200W Dell PSU and that Dell motherboard makes me want to cry.
The Alienware M.B. is just as nice as any x58 board. It is one of the few motherboards with 6 USB ports on it. No problem at all with the M.B.,it's that ugly,huge,grey PSU. I'm getting a different one.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 23, 2011, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would really concider changing the water block also. Push pin WB is kinda crappy.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 23, 2011, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I would really concider changing the water block also. Push pin WB is kinda crappy.
I don't really know what you mean. Why is push pin WB crappy,and what is Push pin WB? I thought they were all pretty much the same. I never thought to ask Killswitch about what may be a better or different cooling system. I wanted the best at the outset. Thanks. What would you suggest?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old October 23, 2011, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Would you believe it? Re that buzzing sound. There is no way to talk to a tech rep outside of regular business hours-9 to 5,30 Mon. to Fri. I hope that's not indicative to the kind of support Thermaltake provides. I could call NCIX where I bought the Level 10,but all they are going to do,is replace the whole thing,and I'm SURE Killswitch is not up to that again. I know I'm not. Getting the cables to fit properly in the side panel, was a real chore. At least with Dell,you have techs twenty four seven. Oh well,I guess it is what it is.
Old October 23, 2011, 08:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

You sure the loud noise is a result of the pump itself, and not just trapped air? This happened with my XSPC D5 pump/res combo. It eventually went away after a few hours of turning pump on and off.
Old October 23, 2011, 09:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
He should be ordering a Seasonic, Corsair or Silverstone unit instead.
That's exactly what I suggested but he wants to stick with the same brand for some reason. He's partially broke away from Dell now, and there are no rules for brand loyalty. This may take a bit..... it's like weaning a calf from its mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
That was something I forgot to mention.
Installing that water block was slightly cumbersome because of that too. The push pins aren't really a straight forward deal, and they all flopped around when I was trying to push one in and hold the block etc....
However it did feel pretty solid once installed, and I think the temps were about 8 degrees cooler then the Alienware liquid cooler. No surprise there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Would you believe it? Re that buzzing sound. There is no way to talk to a tech rep outside of regular business hours-9 to 5,30 Mon. to Fri. I hope that's not indicative to the kind of support Thermaltake provides. I could call NCIX where I bought the Level 10,but all they are going to do,is replace the whole thing,and I'm SURE Killswitch is not up to that again. I know I'm not. Getting the cables to fit properly in the side panel, was a real chore. At least with Dell,you have techs twenty four seven. Oh well,I guess it is what it is.
Thermaltake and other companies are nothing like Dell in terms of tech support. They're considerably smaller too. You have to remember they don't build entire systems, just components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
You sure the loud noise is a result of the pump itself, and not just trapped air? This happened with my XSPC D5 pump/res combo. It eventually went away after a few hours of turning pump on and off.
I agree here. I don't think there's a problem with the pump. Temps were good and when I saw air bubbles flowing through the lines the were moving pretty quick, so the pump is moving the coolant with no issues. I too think it's likely just air an air lock that will work itself out. Besides, I honestly didn't find the pump to be that loud.
Old October 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't know if it's trapped air or some other issue. The high pitched buzz is an electronic hum,if you kmow what I mean. The pump is secrued tightly so I don't believe it's vibtating. It sounds more like the motor is over working. If it's trapped air,is there a way to determine air being trapped or do you just wait for a few re-starts and let it work? It would save a pile of time if there was a way to know it's trapped air. Other than this issue,the case is perfect. If needed,I would buy another one in a heart beat.
Old October 23, 2011, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemminr View Post
Seeing a beautiful case like that with dual 580's and then having that hideous 1200W Dell PSU and that Dell motherboard makes me want to cry.
I have to agree, What's the deal with it what kind of mobo & cpu are in there, and whats with that fugly ram

SteelSeries 6Gv2 // SteelSeries Kana White // Steelseries Siberiasv2 White // BenQ XL2410T // Samsung 2233rz
Old October 23, 2011, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Baby steps bud. As mentioned above, PSU will be on it's way out.

The Dell mobo is pretty solid and it has an X58 chipset. It doesn't look THAT bad does it? It's all under warranty anyhow so why not use it?
I'm pretty sure you violated any warranty that came with any single part of that computer by putting it in a new case, I may be wrong though I put in a different video card and an extra hard drive in a family members dell computer and apparently that violated the warranty

SteelSeries 6Gv2 // SteelSeries Kana White // Steelseries Siberiasv2 White // BenQ XL2410T // Samsung 2233rz
Old October 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well slik, seems that your friend found the issue about the push pin waterblock. Screw with back plate are better for that kind of high end cooling since they make more pressure and a better contact. They are also harder to break compare to plastic push pin which tend to bend or dry over time and heat. I wasn't meaning to do it but it's an unpgrade I would definatly concider over time. As killswich stated, the push pin were not the easiest to install.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||