Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2011, 12:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cool please suggest me a printer

Hi,
I am looking to buy a cheap all in one inkjet printer .
main use-95% for scanning books to make pdf's
5% for taking black ink only printouts of documents ..I am not planning to print too much ..
please advice me a very cheap one ,which is suitable for my above purpose ..

Regards.
Old October 22, 2011, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you are not going to print much I would almost suggest looking at laser instead of ink.

Ink will dry up / clog and become unusable. Laser will work until the drum material fails which will be a lot longer than ink will.
Old October 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

echo go with the force Luke ......Lazer
Old October 22, 2011, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am looking to buy something cheap,laser printers are not that cheap..looking to get a model with in 30~40 $ price range
Old October 22, 2011, 08:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojjjk View Post
Hi,
I am looking to buy a cheap all in one inkjet printer .
main use-95% for scanning books to make pdf's
5% for taking black ink only printouts of documents ..I am not planning to print too much ..
please advice me a very cheap one ,which is suitable for my above purpose ..

Regards.
If this is really your main use, I'd suggest doing some research into how well the current OCR software of individual brands performs. OCR has come a long way from the early days, but it's still not as simple as just scanning something into image format.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 22, 2011, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't have any idea about ocr softwares...I aam a noob in this matter..Is it hard to make copies of books and documents?
so that I can avoid carrying huge books...
Old October 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
F@H

My System Specs

OCR is character recognition software. It interpets what the scanner sees and attempts to convert it to text in order to make a digital document. Normal scanning (as in scanning an image) just takes a picture of the text on the screen which then cannot be edited outside of something like photoshop.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

...suggest moving to peripherals section? (from New Builds)

What I normally do for books is take pictures of the chapter I plan to read (e.g. assignment questions + where I may find the answer) with a 4+ MP digital camera and use it for the day. How do you plan to physically scan the book? If it's bound, then that means tediously placing one page at a time on the scanner which is a waste of time. If you can cut up the book or remove it from its bindings, then you'll still need a two-sided scanner.

The lowest cost device with 2-sided scanner I found in my printer search last month is the HP Officejet 8500A PLUS, but the scanner jams on the slightest fold in a piece of paper.
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One Printer - A910g (CM756A) specifications - HP Products and Services Products

Also note that you may violate copyrights in cases by scanning pages of a book.

For your printing needs, how many pages do you plan to print? I can't recommend laserjet over an inkjet with high capacity cartridges unless you need hundreds of pages per month. I've used HP printers and they've been solid, except the drivers often come with bloatware. Always look at the price of INK / Toner and factor that in, because printers come with something like 1/4 or 1/2 full cartridges.
Old October 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I got a Canon MP495 cheap from Wal-mart since I don't print a lot, $40 I think it was, might have been on sale. Seems good on ink and can print with black ink only unlike some others that won't print anything when colour is empty. Has scanner and Wi-Fi which works good on my network.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
I got a Canon MP495 cheap from Wal-mart since I don't print a lot, $40 I think it was, might have been on sale. Seems good on ink and can print with black ink only unlike some others that won't print anything when colour is empty. Has scanner and Wi-Fi which works good on my network.
Thanks brother ...really helped .I was trying to find something like this .