Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2011, 03:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default New rig build (2011/2012)

Hi HC Community,

I have often browsed the reviews and articles on HC.com and until recently was not even aware it had a forum! Just thought i'd introduce myself a bit... basically career it geek. From loading Office 95 on 33 3 1/4" floppies to network security I just like messing around with some good technology.

Plans
Use: Gaming
Budget: between good choice and dumb..... sitting closer to 3,000
Parts from: Canada (closest resources: NCIX, CanadaComputers, TigerDirect etc)
Brand Pref: Was AMD (1.2Ghz T-bird Thoroughbred, or Opteron for scoket 939) but have since jumped to Intel. Like ATi/AMD, tried nVidia, and gone back to ATi.
Existing Parts: I'll re-use my Corsair AX850 PSU and AMD 5870 gfx card
Research: Read through a few things across this forums and anandtech/tomshardware/hardocp/overclockers
OC: Depends on CPU for how far I will go. Yes I will OC.
Timeline: Between now and xmas for Phase 1. Phase 2 2012 (finish Raid / rebuild raid and look at AMD HD 7k series)
Resolution: 5760x1200 on DellU2410 x3 eyefinity

Current Rig
Removed: Learned there is a spot in the profile for me to add that......

========

NEW Build
CPU: Intel i7-2600k
Cooler: Corsair H100 (watercooling project later)
Mobo: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
Video: AMD 5870 (replaced by some 7900 series)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 240 GB x2 Raid 0
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D
PSU: Corsair AX850

I think i have settled on what i want. Play it safe, hope the new 22nm cpu arch will help if needed next year. I bought the amd 5870 used off a friend who wanted a nVidia 580 and i dont think i have owned a top tier or close to it gfx card since the GeForce 7800 GTX. as such i think that grabbing a 7900 series card next year ish would last a while.

I welcome any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism etc.

Last edited by Backstep; November 1, 2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Updated parts,revised plan
Old October 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly there is nothing wrong with your current build, personally with that budget you could pick up an intel 2011 system in a few months and not have to look back.
Old October 20, 2011, 09:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Honestly there is nothing wrong with your current build, personally with that budget you could pick up an intel 2011 system in a few months and not have to look back.
Thanks for the feedback, JJThomp. What will most likely happen is that near Xmas or the new year I will move my old(Current) PC to my parents to replace their system. So the system will be going, but i'll have it while I search for parts. (can finally retire that 7800GTX in their system :) )

I am a bit torn with going early adopter on the 2011 system, but if it has no major hitches, I agree I should be well off for a while.

PS - i'll update my profile with system specs
Old October 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'd rather save a little bit and go with the LGA1155 only and spend more money on getting a custom water cooling loop. The cherry picked Core i7 2700K should be able to be overclocked to 4.8GHz, maybe 5GHz 24/7 stable as opposed to the 4.5GHz average 24/7 OC on the Core i7 2600K. Gaming would hardly require more than 4 cores at the moment and your research are not that CPU intensive so it would hardly justify paying more for a 6C12T CPU.

The X79 boards that I have seen so far are lacking more connectivity, quite similar to the P67 and Z68 boards. The SAS was canned leaving with 6-8 SATA ports and extra ports are a 3rd party controller by the motherboard manufacturer. Ivy Bridge for LGA1155 will be released around April 2012 and could be quite a surprise if it does have better performance than the SB-E processors. Of course there is the IB-E but that would be a few months or a year later after IB release.
Old October 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
I'd rather save a little bit and go with the LGA1155 only and spend more money on getting a custom water cooling loop. The cherry picked Core i7 2700K should be able to be overclocked to 4.8GHz, maybe 5GHz 24/7 stable as opposed to the 4.5GHz average 24/7 OC on the Core i7 2600K. Gaming would hardly require more than 4 cores at the moment and your research are not that CPU intensive so it would hardly justify paying more for a 6C12T CPU.

The X79 boards that I have seen so far are lacking more connectivity, quite similar to the P67 and Z68 boards. The SAS was canned leaving with 6-8 SATA ports and extra ports are a 3rd party controller by the motherboard manufacturer. Ivy Bridge for LGA1155 will be released around April 2012 and could be quite a surprise if it does have better performance than the SB-E processors. Of course there is the IB-E but that would be a few months or a year later after IB release.

I agree with dma0991
If you go with the 1155
Old October 21, 2011, 10:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

@DMA, yycraven
Yea, that is one of the thoghts in my DMA. I am hoping mid November if X79 comes out that I may see a price drop (even 20$) but most likely not. I don't think I saw the final specs on the 2700k, but i have a friends 2600K at 5.2GHz with the Corsair H100 so I would be happy with that.

I would like to consider an actual watercooling solution but I am not sure how well they handle transport. There is a good possibility that the system would be carted to a couple local LAN events. Has it improved over the years? I'll do some googling and see what resources I can find.

--

As I am still considering a 3rd party raid card (thread in storage) looking athte Z68 mobos, i guess I will need to look and see which board meets these most of these criteria:
* Overclockability
* PCIe slot availabilty (if I want xfire with new AMD HD 7k and have a Raid card)
* ATX size
Time for a weekend of review/research!
Old October 21, 2011, 10:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It is definitely possible to push the Core i7 2600K to 4.5GHz and beyond but the temps will be a bit high for a safe overclock and the voltage required to sustain that kind of overclock will kill the processor slowly, it should be no more than 1.375V or no higher than 1.4V for a long term overclock. Getting to 5.2GHz will depend if you're getting lemons or a golden chip and in the case of your friend, he could either be pushing it way beyond the safe range or he has a rare chip that does 5.2GHz with ease.

If your watercooling loop is secured properly it shouldn't be a problem and not that much different than having a large chunk of metal like the Noctua NH-D14 hanging on to the motherboard. Using compression fittings might give a better chance of preventing a potential leak during transport.
Old October 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hmm.... If I need to have a raidcard with 8 lanes available, and I want to do crossfire... am I able to find a z68 board with 8x8x8 PCIe or would I have to get a 2board Card (6990)in 8x slot and lsi card in the 8x slot and leave a 4 lanes left? If I am mistaken let me know, but I think the 1155 CPUs have max 20 PCIe lanes?
Old October 23, 2011, 01:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm not too sure why do you need x8 worth of PCIE bandwidth for a RAID card but spending that much money on 4 SSDs in RAID 0 is not worth it. The performance scaling is not linear and having 2 SSDs in RAID 0 will not give two times the performance over a single and the performance gain after 2 SSDs in RAID 0 has very little gain, you could find reviews about that. You would only need a x4 RAID card if you're going with a dual SSD RAID 0 configuration.

There are boards that have x16x16x8 like the Asus MIVE but they are quite expensive and it relies on a third party NF200 chipset as the SB processor only supports x16 bandwidth shared with all PCIE lanes by default. Getting a HD6990 for an x8 slot is possible but each GPU is only getting x4's worth of bandwidth, it might not bottleneck much but I'd rather have it running on its own with x16 bandwidth not shared with other cards.
Old November 1, 2011, 10:46 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I have been reviewing the feedback and thinking on it as well as reading more forums and reviews. i have made some changes that so far i think are for the better.

swapped the idea of 2 or 4 ssd 120GB in raid 0 for 2 240 GB in raid 0. Using the z68 intel controller and disabling the marvel sata3 plugs to help with stability and the "dualpost" many have experienced. if i dont grab a simple NAS unit like the synology ds211 for backup or storage the i'll look at a raid controller other than the marvel, if i want another fast storage, like 2 wd blacks in raid 0, the i'll add an hba.

Now i have to wonder about striping sizes... if you have some good reading material to help make the decision let me inow thanks.