Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 04:42 PM
Rookie

Default Gaming Desktop advice

Hello hardwarecanucks! I'm looking for some advice & suggestion for my 1st gaming desktop.

Budget: 1000-1200
Main Purpose: Gaming
Goal: Good price/performance system that will at least go strong for the next 3 years
Things to know?
Plan to run on 1920 x 1080
I'll just do some mild overclocking

This is the main website I'm looking at hardwareversand.de - Startseite
Other websites mainly from UK are Aria PC - Computer Hardware, Components, Monitors.. at lowest prices, ebuyer.com, novatech.co.uk
I'm from Ireland so the pound currency is a big factor >.<

I'm open to all suggestions. Whether the parts I chose are good,reliable or whether there are better brands or parts out there.

So here's the specs :-

Case: NZXT Phantom <- Don't include this in the budget
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO or ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z or Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
System Memory: 4gbx2 Corsair Vengeance or G.Skills RipJawsX
HD: 1TB Samsung SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5"
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB or ATI Radeon 6950 or GTX 580 <- Thinking of SLI/xfire in the future.
Power Supply: Recommendations?
Cooling: Noctua Nh-d14 or CM Hyper 212 or Corsair A70

I'm also wondering whether these parts are compatible or not, whether they will be able to fit or plug in,etc (I've never build a desktop before)

I've heard corsair vengeance is a bigger size RAM than the RipJawsX and that will be a problem while building.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just did my first ever build about 2 months ago, worked out great!

In any case, things I've learned:

PSU: do NOT cheap out on a PSU, I know Corsair is a good name, also look at 80+ type rating, there are other good brands to, don't know which though.

Other than that, I think, if you are buying all modern components, you'll be fine.

One mistake I made: bought a DVD drive that didn't have a SATA connection, while that is all modern motherboards have. Had to run off to the local box store to buy one to complete the build.

Aftermarket cooling is needed ONLY if you are overclocking.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
Rookie

Nice advice! Definitely won't cheap out on the PSU but just wondering how many W do I need if I'm gonna xfire/sli gtx 560/570 or 6950?

Still looking for better recommendations on graphic cards since this is the biggest thing I need to think through while putting up this build.

I`ll be doing some mild overclocking so just wondering which cooling system should I use.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akazzz View Post
Nice advice! Definitely won't cheap out on the PSU but just wondering how many W do I need if I'm gonna xfire/sli gtx 560/570 or 6950?
I'd reccommend a good quality 750W unit for gtx 560 sli. And you might go with an 850W unit for sli/xfire with higher end cards (570/6950) Corsair's AX series is great.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you plan to overclock and to SLI, I'd say go for no less than 850W(750W is probably fine, but having headroom is preferable), as hal said, don't cheap out on PSU, stick with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic.

The D14 is a monster for a cooler, works great, but since you mention doing mild oc, the 212 would be fine. Depending on the cooler, the kind of RAM you can get might be affected.

For GPU, I always prefer the idea of going with the single best GPU you can get(or the one which gives you the most value) rather than going SLI / Xfire. The reasoning is simple, you get more bang out of your dime with a single card, you do not have the problems of microstuttering and drivers are generally better. Personally I'd go for a GTX 570 and upgrade when needed because the cost of a 580 is that much more. If going for Team red (AMD), then go for a 6970. Depending when you plan to order, maybe the newer GPUs will be out and have a look at those obviously.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Power supply - You guys over there have access to some PSU's that even I want vs what we have here. Get yourself a Superflower or NZXT HALE90 unit and you will not be disappointed. They are stable, reliable, and very strong. Grab an 850W since you say you are considering Multi-GPU solution in the future.
Always better to have more power now, than worrying about it later.

For a GPU get the GTX580. AMD's driver support has been horrible as of late (or for the whole 6XXX series) and personally I have had better support on the nVidia side (which is sad considering how many red GPU's I got before I learned the 6XXX was not for me).

Otherwise it looks solid, however note that with the NZXT Phantom you will need to purchase the NZXT fans for it (large ones) if you want to add more cooling because they were kind enough to make them only fit their brand. I love NZXT, but that was a low blow from them.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 18, 2011, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have a friend who sells computers and components in the UK. Here's the link.. http://www.polarcomp.com/PolarKS1System.html It might help you at least for price comparisons.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You will need to change your ram to LP if you plan on using the D14 cpu cooler. The thing is a beast. I am running the D14 on the Maximus IV-Extreme Z (great board btw, but has a bunch of options that cost you more money, and you may never use) and I had to go with the Vengeance LP ram in order to avoid clearance issues. Alternatively you could remove the outside fan on the D14 (reduces performance) or, if your case is deep enough you could slide the fan up so they clear the memory coolers.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
You will need to change your ram to LP if you plan on using the D14 cpu cooler. The thing is a beast. I am running the D14 on the Maximus IV-Extreme Z (great board btw, but has a bunch of options that cost you more money, and you may never use) and I had to go with the Vengeance LP ram in order to avoid clearance issues. Alternatively you could remove the outside fan on the D14 (reduces performance) or, if your case is deep enough you could slide the fan up so they clear the memory coolers.
Yes if you can get mushkin blackline enhanced with the frostbyte spreaders they are low profile and fit well with an NH-D14. Also the heat spreaders work really well.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
Rookie

There's some great info in the replies here akaxxx. For PSU Corsair/Antec/Superflower/Seasonic are top tier. Like other people I would suggest 850W with the highest 80+ certification you can afford. Like Soul said get the most powerful GPU you can afford first and multi it in the future if you want. It's guaranteed performance with no hassles. Corsair or GSkill for RAM doesn't matter they are both great choices, my preference is GSkill though ;). The CPU coolers you choose are great also.If you will only be doing mild OCing get the CM 212 and save some cash. I have the 212+ in my rig and it's great but nothing compared to the NH-D14 if you want the best get the Noctua.