Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
Trial Member

Default First Build Help

Looking for a bit of help for creating my first build. I have limited knowledge on this subject so I'm looking any suggestions you might have.

Stuff I plan on buying so far:

1. It'll be used for running games, browsing the internet, streaming, downloading etc. I'm looking to be able to run games like tf2 at 60 fps at high settings, but my main concern is fps rather than graphics so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit if I need the money. Which brings me to:

2. I have $1200 to spend on all the parts, including peripherals (I'm currently looking for a good mouse and cheap speakers), tax, and shipping. I'd like to keep it under one grand though.

3. I live in Ontario. I'll be visiting Canada Computers to see if I can get anything cheaper than Newegg, and whatever isn't cheaper I'll buy off Newegg.

4. I have no brand preference.

5. I have a pretty old computer lying around, it's at least 5 years old. I'll try to keep the monitor and keyboard, but I think everything else will have to go.

6. Yes, I have read a few other threads in this subforum.

7. I have no plans on overclocking. I have limited knowledge and experience so I don't plan on doing anything like that.

8. Going to buy around christmas to maximize savings.

9. I'm not really sure what my resolution is. The monitor is hooked up to an old computer that won't turn on anymore so I'm not sure how to check. It's not very big or small, but I'll see what I can do to find the exact resolution. I may change the monitor in the future, so I'd like to be able to handle whatever the average resolution is currently.

So yeah, any suggestions for parts? Anything that won't work together? I'm also looking for a simple mouse, nothing too fancy, and cheap speakers.
Old October 17, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good to me, although I'd suggest a 990FX motherboard in case you want to go SLI in the future.
Old October 17, 2011, 04:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gte a seasonic, corsair, antec, XFX, or silverstone PSU. They are much better quality and are a lot less likely to kill your parts if they fail.
Also I don't have time to do it right now but you should be able to sneak an i5 2500k into that budget.

Edit: also it is cheaper to prioce match at ncix

Okay here we go
i5 2500k $215
Gigabyte GA-Z68-DS3 $105
Coolermsater HAF 912 $50
Antec HCG 620w $65
WD caviar black 500 gb $57
Optical drive $20
Corsair vengeance LP 1600mhz Cl9 1.35v 8gb $45
Windows 7 Home Premium $97

Total: $654 before tax, $739 after tax

Now we need to talk GPU, you have about $350 for a GPU here but I am going to recommend a GTX 560 ti which is $234 before MIR or $200 after. This gives you a total of $1003 after taxes all before MIR, shipping will be around $50 probably. laving you $150 for peripherals. This build is much better than the one you orginally planned. For $50 you get hassle free assembly and a year warranty on all assembly, if you choose this you will have $ 100 for a mouse and some cheap speakers, definately doable.

Go to shopbot.ca to find these prices

Last edited by JJThomp; October 17, 2011 at 08:31 PM.