Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 08:25 AM
Allstar

Default New Home Server power question

I have my new home server 1/2 built right now, still waiting on the new case(running in the old case with drives sitting on top for right now) and 1 back ordered HDD for one of the new arrays. Over the weekend I started to calculate roughly how much power I am going to need with the large amount of HDDs I am using. I have rounded up 20 drives(8 new, 12 from old server and a few other places). This poses a bit of a problem with my 5V on the PSU, The drives look like they are mostly 1.2amps on the 5V. I have 24amps available to me on the 5V, without taking into consideration the rest of the system I am running 100% on the 5V.

I have 2 choices, a server grade PSU with a bigger 5V spec, or adding one of these duel power supply jobs into my home server to give me mo power. Has anyone here used Add2Psu | Connect two power supplies easily and safely? or something like it? I could splice my greens and void the warranty but for $20 seems like a interesting idea.

I have looked at bigger desktop PSU, but at best I can bump myself up to 30amps from what I have seen, so still too close to 100% for my liking.
Old October 17, 2011, 07:25 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've never used it myself but i believe staggered spin-up is normally used to deal with this issue.

when disks are spinning up is when they draw their max current so as long as they aren't all doing it at once you should be fine.
Old October 17, 2011, 08:38 PM
Allstar

I do use staggered spinup on the controller cards, I am just wary of running such a high level of current with no easy way to measure it on the 5v rail. Might be paranoid, and I know I wont be using 100% of the rated power on the drives.... its just theoretically so close to the limits I don't want to risk it.