Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I find it hard to justify paying $500 for a GTX580 when a HD6970 with a high-end cutom cooler costs $330 w/rebate. If you know your benchmarks, you would too. Mind you I would never have paid more than $260 for a HD6950 2GB until this card came out.

I have only recently found about it from it's sibling, the 6950 2GB Toxic. They share the same custom cooler.

BrutalGreen from another thread:

]

From your signature, I'm guessing that your last build was in 2005? Well power consumption has gone down with the times and with it the heat. Air-cooling can and does match or comes very close to watercooling in heat & noise if your target overclock is 4.8ghz/1.3v. Self contained waterblocks such as the H80 does give your system a cleaner look and adds space for more airflow, but the fans are too loud for my taste, and it does not perform better than the NH-D14 or Thermalright SilverArrow.

PS: You can afford an SSD. OCZ Vertex3 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB or OCZ Aglity3 120GB. It's a game changer.
Well, yeah, i didn't really looked at AMD's cards yet. So you say that I would be better of with a HD6970 for the price\performance? I can't seem to find any recent reviews that compares the 2. And how comes the HD5970 always comes in third? Under the HD6970 in second and the 580GTX in first?

Also, that build, my last, you see in my sig is from end of 2007. That rig got me the January SLI rig of the month title back in January 2008 heh As for watercooling well, you convinced me. I'm tired anyway of Wcing and all the hassle it causes. So the 2 you mentioned (NH-D14 or Thermalright SilverArrow) are good choices for CPU coolers?

Quote:
You're right that you should avoid USB headsets since you have a dedicated soundcard. Corsair has an analogue version of the same headset. I think the Asus Vulcan is more impressive.
I'll check them out! What are your thoughts on surround headsets? Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
If you're going single card, than yes. But as you've mentioned the option of adding an another one down the road, get yourself an nvidia card. Or be prepared for tons of crossfire headaches. The benches would look nice for sure, but the gaming experience oh dear...
Well, actually, I think i will stay with one card for a while. I don`t and won't have much money since I'm going back to school. So, you say i should get a HD6970 since I'm not planing on doing SLI or Crossfire?

Thanks guys!
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old October 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Both those coolers are good coolers, you'll have to look at low profile ram to avoid clearance issues though.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 18, 2011, 08:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i wouldn't count a ssd out completely, what i would do is get a z68 board and get a 60gd hard drive newegg has really good sells and just price match to ncix since your in Canada. and then use the ssd to cache the raptors in a raid 0 im assuming what they were in. and get 2500k and 8gb of corsair dominator or xms3 ram and a 6970 since you can get them for about 320 now which is pretty good for the performance of it and to me the 580 is over priced for what it is. the cooler i have no idea whats what these days.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Great to see you building a new rig James!

I have to toss my $0.02 here and say I couldn't imagine going without SSD on my main rig. Even if it was just a small one and store the majority of my games and programs on a hard drive. If you are only running 19x12 you can get away with a lesser card and crossfire or sli down the road if you increase Res. SSD made the worst part of a computer part of the past, drive thashing and staring at boot animations. Get a Crucial M4 and ride it for 5 years.

Can't wait to see what you end up building :-)
Old October 19, 2011, 04:54 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Look who's back. nice to see that avatar once again.

I agree with TT. Once you've tasted SSDs, you never look back. Best combo would be a small 60gb (or even 100Gb on special) ssd matched with a WD Black 1Tb. That's what I do with most of my customer rigs and they are astounded by the speed of the whole rig.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:07 AM
Allstar

That card has not been reviewed yet. What has been positively reviewed is the same cooler slapped on a HD6950 that can be automatically flashed to a HD6970, the Sapphire HD6950 2GB Toxic. Add to that the countless HD6970 reviews, and the $330 price, then you will get an idea of what you're looking at.

2007! Those parts seem older :p

I only use bacteria collecting headsets as least as possible. I always prefer a nice theater setup, but I like Asus Vulcan best from the reviews :)

Last edited by Luay79; October 19, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old October 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Both those coolers are good coolers, you'll have to look at low profile ram to avoid clearance issues though.
Cool, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
i wouldn't count a ssd out completely, what i would do is get a z68 board and get a 60gd hard drive newegg has really good sells and just price match to ncix since your in Canada. and then use the ssd to cache the raptors in a raid 0 im assuming what they were in. and get 2500k and 8gb of corsair dominator or xms3 ram and a 6970 since you can get them for about 320 now which is pretty good for the performance of it and to me the 580 is over priced for what it is. the cooler i have no idea whats what these days.
Thanks for the advices! But what do you mean by "use the ssd to cache the raptors in a raid 0"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Great to see you building a new rig James!

I have to toss my $0.02 here and say I couldn't imagine going without SSD on my main rig. Even if it was just a small one and store the majority of my games and programs on a hard drive. If you are only running 19x12 you can get away with a lesser card and crossfire or sli down the road if you increase Res. SSD made the worst part of a computer part of the past, drive thashing and staring at boot animations. Get a Crucial M4 and ride it for 5 years.

Can't wait to see what you end up building :-)
Damon! It's been a while! Way to long actually! How have you been! Man we gotta catch up on msn when i finally get a computer! Yeah, i hear ssd's are the way to go for gamers heh! I'm getting one for sure! either a 60 or a 120GB and I'll couple that with a larger HDD. Actually, i didn't got what you meant by "SSD made the worst part of a computer part of the past, drive thashing and staring at boot animations"?? And what's makes the Crucial M4 better than the others?

Oh and I'd have a question for you. So, I install the OS and main programs on the SSD and all my games onto the larger HDD? Shouldn't that affect loading times of the game and levels since they would be installed onto the HDD?

As for the GPU, I'm actually going to get a HD6970. It's been so long since I've had an ATI(AMD) card! So why not? Heh Everybody convinced me here! And either one i get, I'm sure they'll all beat my old and rusty 8800GTXs heh! Thanks for the advices Damon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Look who's back. nice to see that avatar once again.

I agree with TT. Once you've tasted SSDs, you never look back. Best combo would be a small 60gb (or even 100Gb on special) ssd matched with a WD Black 1Tb. That's what I do with most of my customer rigs and they are astounded by the speed of the whole rig.
Heh Yeah, I'm getting back on the track! ;)

Sounds good! That's probably what I'll end up doing!

Quote:
That card has not been reviewed yet. What has been positively reviewed is the same cooler slapped on a HD6950 that can be automatically flashed to a HD6970, the Sapphire HD6950 2GB Toxic. Add to that the countless HD6970 reviews, and the $330 price, then you will get an idea of what you're looking at.

2007! Those parts seem older :p

I only use bacteria collecting headsets as least as possible. I always prefer a nice theater setup, but I like Asus Vulcan best from the reviews :)
I see! Sounds good! Thanks! PS: In 2005, I had a 7800GTX, and AMD 4800+ X2 with some flashy (with leds) ram sticks heh! Good ol' AMD! :P

-----------------------

Thanks everyone! You guys are really helpful!
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old October 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post

Damon! It's been a while! Way to long actually! How have you been! Man we gotta catch up on msn when i finally get a computer! Yeah, i hear ssd's are the way to go for gamers heh! I'm getting one for sure! either a 60 or a 120GB and I'll couple that with a larger HDD. Actually, i didn't got what you meant by "SSD made the worst part of a computer part of the past, drive thashing and staring at boot animations"?? And what's makes the Crucial M4 better than the others?

Oh and I'd have a question for you. So, I install the OS and main programs on the SSD and all my games onto the larger HDD? Shouldn't that affect loading times of the game and levels since they would be installed onto the HDD?

As for the GPU, I'm actually going to get a HD6970. It's been so long since I've had an ATI(AMD) card! So why not? Heh Everybody convinced me here! And either one i get, I'm sure they'll all beat my old and rusty 8800GTXs heh! Thanks for the advices Damon!
Yes it has been much to long. Have a wack of kids and been super busy with that and work and the new acreage. I will catch you up when you get this rig set up

As far as my statement about SSD making the worst part of the computer a part of the past, I meant hard drives as a boot drive. Rotational latency and seek times and horrible 4k performance is literally gone with SSD's booting the OS for you. I have one rig booting from a Seagate 1TB 7200.12 and it drives me nuts now

I have a 256GB C300 and a 128GB M4 and LOVE both of them. My main rig with the 256G C300 boots to login screen in about 13-14 seconds, and after login I can hit desktop in about 2-3 seconds and instantly use my machine. Priceless in my opinion.

The reason I love the M4 is it is a refined C300 with new NAND and bullitproof firmware. I have played with the barefoot controller (4 RMA's) and had one Sandforce drive and didn't like it all that much and avoided it since.

Booting from your SSD and running your games from a HD isnt all that bad. Most game loads are sequential and HDs arent that bad at it, and SSDs are expensive still for large capacity. If I was broke and needed a computer I would buy a 30GB and still load the OS from it They really are the bees knees. Until they came along it was actually funny to me that we had all this massive amounts of power and were using tech from the 80's to feed them information.

Drop me a PM here or facebook if you want to chat!

Damon.
Old October 20, 2011, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
Yes it has been much to long. Have a wack of kids and been super busy with that and work and the new acreage. I will catch you up when you get this rig set up

As far as my statement about SSD making the worst part of the computer a part of the past, I meant hard drives as a boot drive. Rotational latency and seek times and horrible 4k performance is literally gone with SSD's booting the OS for you. I have one rig booting from a Seagate 1TB 7200.12 and it drives me nuts now

I have a 256GB C300 and a 128GB M4 and LOVE both of them. My main rig with the 256G C300 boots to login screen in about 13-14 seconds, and after login I can hit desktop in about 2-3 seconds and instantly use my machine. Priceless in my opinion.

The reason I love the M4 is it is a refined C300 with new NAND and bullitproof firmware. I have played with the barefoot controller (4 RMA's) and had one Sandforce drive and didn't like it all that much and avoided it since.

Booting from your SSD and running your games from a HD isnt all that bad. Most game loads are sequential and HDs arent that bad at it, and SSDs are expensive still for large capacity. If I was broke and needed a computer I would buy a 30GB and still load the OS from it They really are the bees knees. Until they came along it was actually funny to me that we had all this massive amounts of power and were using tech from the 80's to feed them information.

Drop me a PM here or facebook if you want to chat!

Damon.
Thanks Damon! I sure am getting a 120GB SSD! I'll get a Crucial M4 ;) I'll install my main programs and games on it and the rest on my larger HDD! Anything else i should know about SSDs before i buy? Should i get a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor or does it comes with the SSD?

One last question too : Which board to get? The ASUS P8Z68-V PRO or the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE? I see some nice features on the Deluxe like PCI-E 3.0, the UEFI BIOS (EZ Mode), Intelฎ Smart Response Technology and such. Should i get this one instaed? Or i don't need those features much?

Thanks!
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old October 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriote View Post
Thanks Damon! I sure am getting a 120GB SSD! I'll get a Crucial M4 ;) I'll install my main programs and games on it and the rest on my larger HDD! Anything else i should know about SSDs before i buy? Should i get a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor or does it comes with the SSD?

One last question too : Which board to get? The ASUS P8Z68-V PRO or the ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE? I see some nice features on the Deluxe like PCI-E 3.0, the UEFI BIOS (EZ Mode), Intelฎ Smart Response Technology and such. Should i get this one instaed? Or i don't need those features much?

Thanks!

I think you made a good decision with the 120G M4. It is large enough to load games to and plenty of software and not overfill. It doesn't come with an adaptor, so you will need to pick one up unless your case can accomdate them stock.

As far as the mobo you will have to see what others say or decide if you want those features. I have zero z68 experience as I am still rocking 1366

Later m8!