Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2011, 11:21 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cart is loaded up but a couple questions.

I already have a GTX570 and OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD and HDD's for storage and I'm using a Corsair HX650 PSU.
Primary use will be for gaming.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=60587&promoid=1366 Antec Kuhler H20 920 Liquid CPU Cooling System
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=57078 Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor

Questions/concerns parts below:

NCIX.com - Buy ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 SATA3 USB3.0 CrossFireX SLI Motherboard - ASRock - P67 Extreme4 (B3) - in Canada ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3
I'm getting the P67 instead of Z68 as I don't really like the addition of a mobo GPU on the Z68 mobos and it saves a few bucks. Is going P67 a mistake?

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Cherry MX Red Mechanical 20 Key Rollover Gaming Keyboard USB - Others - CH-9000003-NA - in Canada Corsair Vengeance K90 Performance MMO Cherry MX Red Mechanical 20 Key Rollover Gaming Keyboard
NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Vengeance 1500 Gaming Headset Dolby 7.1 50MM Driver Circumaural Earcup USB - Others - CA-9011112-WW - in Canada Corsair Vengeance 1500 Gaming Headset Dolby 7.1 50MM Driver Circumaural Earcup USB

This keyboard and headset are very new to the market and there is really no information or reviews out there.
Kind of wary about buying untests product but it is Corsair and they have generally produced quality product so I'll roll the dice on these = mistake?

So that's about it = any ideas?
Old October 15, 2011, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm very new to the computer world, so take my comments with a pound of salt.
I've been asking the same questions as you about P67 mobos.

I'm getting a Z68, only because, if my GPU ever fries, I can utilize the onboard GPU in the processor, and at least still use my computer.

As I understand it, the onboard graphics is in the chip, not the motherboard. The Z68 board has the ability to use it. Am I mistaken?
Old October 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BukitHedd View Post
I'm very new to the computer world, so take my comments with a pound of salt.
I've been asking the same questions as you about P67 mobos.

I'm getting a Z68, only because, if my GPU ever fries, I can utilize the onboard GPU in the processor, and at least still use my computer.

As I understand it, the onboard graphics is in the chip, not the motherboard. The Z68 board has the ability to use it. Am I mistaken?
Your right.
Old October 15, 2011, 01:47 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies.
I have a GTX570 that I use now and a GTX260 and a 8800GTS and other old video cards so the lack of a video card shouldn't be a problem for me.
Old October 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Only thing I can really say is that I would go for Z68 vice P67. The only thing missing from P67 is SSD caching and ability to use integrated graphics (which I see you don't care about). SSD caching I have read about, but can't remember off hand how effective it is. Might be something to consider before making the final decision on MOB.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The OP already has a SSD, and is probably planning to use it as a boot drive, rather than a caching drive. The only reason to go Z68 in my books is if you want the caching. I prefer a boot drive config myself.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:06 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The OP already has a SSD, and is probably planning to use it as a boot drive, rather than a caching drive. The only reason to go Z68 in my books is if you want the caching. I prefer a boot drive config myself.
Exactly correct SugarJ. My Vertex SATA2 120gb is doing fine as a boot drive so I'll stick with that.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
SSD caching I have read about, but can't remember off hand how effective it is. Might be something to consider before making the final decision on MOB.
AFAIK the Z68 SSD caching is best used when you have older HDD's and can speed up performance cheaply by getting a smaller SSD (40g or 60gb) that will provide a performance boost to the slower platter based HDD's. I'm happy with my current storage system using the SATA2 SSD as a boot drive and older 2tb HDD's as storage drives.

Thanks for the replies. :)
Old October 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For headset, try out:

NCIX.com - Buy Teknmotion Yapster Gaming Headphones Microphone IN-LINE Volume White - TekNmotion - TM-YW100A - in Canada

Whole lot cheaper. (I think I even price matched down to about $18) I think they sound fine, especially considering the price I paid. The feel good, cover my ears (are slightly tight for my taste, but only very slightly, and I have a big head). Treble is good, bass is good (though you can't feel it in your gut, which is why I don't like headphones)

You are now probably wondering about my background in "listening" to stuff. I have never been a big fan of headphones, but I do have a stereo system I've been upgrading and playing with for the last 15 years. And I was on sound crew for plays in high school. So, I would say I'm not a complete noob when it comes to sound, but, granted, by no means an expert.

At the very least, you could get these until you see more reviews of your chosen headset.