Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ya,

A new case would be nice. Especially cable managment. But I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. At a later date I will be looking at a new case. I am just looking at a new motherboard and CPU. I was going to get a CPU cooler. But I hope the current one I have will do which is the Zalman CNPS10X Quite. So what do you guys think> My cooler I have now. The ASUS Crosshair IV z68 and the i5 2500K. Or should I get the i7 2600K. I burn the ocasional movie, But mainly gaming!!!
Old October 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

the v6gt fit into my 900 (original, not the 902 or any other revision) no problems using my asus p8z68-v, it was a tight fit, but from the v6gt to the windowed panel there was room.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:25 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
Ya,

A new case would be nice. Especially cable managment. But I am trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. At a later date I will be looking at a new case. I am just looking at a new motherboard and CPU. I was going to get a CPU cooler. But I hope the current one I have will do which is the Zalman CNPS10X Quite. So what do you guys think> My cooler I have now. The ASUS Crosshair IV z68 and the i5 2500K. Or should I get the i7 2600K. I burn the ocasional movie, But mainly gaming!!!

I personally think that paying the extra for the 2600K isn't worth it in your case. With what you are looking at doing with your pc it wouldn't be worth you spending the coin on it. You are better off going with the 2500K, or if you naver have any intention of overclocking get one of the non K cpus.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Hey PerryC,

I will O/C. But will my cooler I have now be good for O/Cing?
Old October 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The V6? It will be plenty good for OCing.
Old October 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you are trying to keep the costs to a minimum go with the 2500K and the cooler you already have. If the cooler doesn't work for you, or if you are not happy with its results then you could always upgrade it later.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Kewl Perry,

Thanks. And I notice that my Zalman Quite is still $50. And benches for it look pretty good. I am just worried that I don't have the right bracket for it to fit on the motherboard and CPU. Sine I have it the cooler before SB was released????
Old October 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The 1155 and 1156 sockets use the same hole pattern, so your cooler came with the hardware to mount to any SB mobo you purchase.
Old October 17, 2011, 06:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Awesome thanks so much Perry. Really appreciate the clarification man.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well,

I took the plunge. Just ordered the ASUS Maximus Z68 gene board and the intel i5 2500K. With taxes and air shipping form direct canada. It came to $471. Can't wait...WOOOHOOOO!!!!! Now I wonder what the going price would be for my 4 year old ASUS P5K-E, Intel E8400 and 4 gig G. Skill DDR2-800 ram be worth???