Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Will It Work? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/47223-will-work.html)

qwertymanhurts October 11, 2011 01:47 PM

Will It Work?

Will these components of a computer work together, I believe so but I wanted the peoples perspective.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150P Black Edition
Video Card: 2x AMD Radeon HD 7990 (I realize it's not out yet but it's planned for Q1/H1 of 2012, 'till then the AMD Radeon HD 6990 will be used)
RAM: OCZ EOL DDR3 Platinum Series OCZ3P2000LV8GK
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX
ODD: ASUS BC-08B1LT
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST Deluxe (ST with Xonar H6)
Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z906
Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard: Logitech diNovo Edge
Printer: HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-Allin-One Printer - A910n
Display: SONY Bravia XBR HX929 65" HDTV via HDMI or Dell UltraSharp U3011SONY
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W

FlyingFish October 11, 2011 01:54 PM

New Builds - Hardware Canucks

Posting there would be a better place to get some help with this.

Anyways, your build will "work" but there are a few things worth considering...

You're planning to build a BD based machine, but we have no way of knowing how well BD will be. I'm assuming you're an AMD fan, but the prelminary reviews for BD suggest that it's worse than a comparable Sandy Bridge machine. If you're going to be spending on a top of the line machine, why not go for something which will give you the best performance period?

Also, with a machine like that, you should really consider getting an SSD. The Crucial M4 is a good one.

SugarJ October 11, 2011 03:03 PM

Thread moved to correct forum.

FlyingFish raises some good points.

Razamatraz October 11, 2011 03:08 PM

I also question using a 6990/7990. That UD7 can handle 4 double slot cards so dual 6970/7970 might be better. If you only want one card the UD5 would be lots and even UD3 would work.

MARSTG October 11, 2011 04:28 PM

running 4 double wide slot cards is difficult, 3 out of 4 of them will suck hot air from the back plate of the one in front and the platform will be noisy. Had 3 nvidia cards and all of them were running at 60% fan speed, and with default profile from EVGA precision they are noisy. Speaking from my own experience. Even with good lateral cooling the system will be noisy. In order for the 4th card to be double wide you will need an Extended ATX case, something for servers otherwise will not fit as most cases don't have the necessary space if the power supply is bottom mounted. So 3 double wide and a single slot is doable on a regular ATX case but with compromise of noise.

Razamatraz October 11, 2011 06:55 PM

Yah, I wouldn't suggest actually running 4 cards (at least on air), just saying that if he plans to run a single dual-gpu card he doesn't need a UD7, the lesser UD series boards will do just fine. If he does go UD7 might as well go with 2 top end single GPU cards.

JJThomp October 11, 2011 07:35 PM

Except running 2 cards is an adventure in itsekf to get them working sometimes, and sometimes you need to tweak things for each game.

keto October 11, 2011 07:46 PM

OK let's face it, you're going all out almost without respect for budget. Intel's X79 chipset is due out (next month? more than one article I've read says Nov.) and is going to be THE enthusiast chipset of choice for the immediately forseeable future - more memory lanes and DDR-2800 capable, something like 3x or 4x as much bandwidth thru the system, blah blah this yada yada that, it's going to make a current 67/68 Sandybridge look positively neutered. If I were dropping that coin, I'd hang in.

Unless you're an AMD fanboi, which is totally understandable.

lightninstrikr October 11, 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keto (Post 556726)
OK let's face it, you're going all out almost without respect for budget. Intel's X79 chipset is due out (next month? more than one article I've read says Nov.) and is going to be THE enthusiast chipset of choice for the immediately forseeable future - more memory lanes and DDR-2800 capable, something like 3x or 4x as much bandwidth thru the system, blah blah this yada yada that, it's going to make a current 67/68 Sandybridge look positively neutered. If I were dropping that coin, I'd hang in.

Unless you're an AMD fanboi, which is totally understandable.

What this guy said...

FlyingFish October 11, 2011 10:07 PM

I would highly recommend reading the reviews for Bulldozer.

Because quite frankly, bulldozer is a bit crap.