Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Asus P8Z68 and Intel iCore 5 2500k, what next? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/47220-asus-p8z68-intel-icore-5-2500k-what-next.html)

Rocketfish17 October 11, 2011 12:59 PM

Asus P8Z68 and Intel iCore 5 2500k, what next?

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming, Downloading, Streaming, browsing, photos, etc...

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
I've already dropped $500, maybe another $300-$500-$700+ if needed.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
CANADA

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Looking to find what brands are good these days, I haven't updated my current rig for about 3 years... so I'm a little rusty and out of touch with what's good these days.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
I'm going to salvage a couple of the parts from my current rig, I have a nVidia GTX 260, a 500gb seagate HDD which I'll use as a secondary for back up and an samsung dvd writer.
I've just purchased a Thermaltake Armor A60 case, an Intel iCore 5 2500k CPU, and an ASUS P8Z68-V MoBo.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
Some

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Plan on overclocking.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Now

9. What resolution do you use?
I have two Samsung 23" LED running at 1920x1200

So I have a MoBo, CPU, Case, and graphics card(which I will be upgrading in the future), what I'm looking to find out is what is the best RAM to get preferably about $100 for 8gb, I need a good HDD, I was thinking of using a new SSD+HDD in raid so I can get a bit of both worlds; speed and storage without going broke, Spending anywhere form $100-$300 but maybe a bit more with a good SSD. With overclocking my CPU I was thinking of going with a CPU water block like the Corsair H60. Should I get a different thermal paste or just use what comes on the CPU cooler?

Overall I'm looking for some answers to the best way of getting a mid-high range gaming rig without going broke and looking for tips to maximize the performances of my purchases. So if I left anything out I need please let me know as well!

Pabz0r545 October 11, 2011 01:16 PM

I think some of the more popular RAM's are Gskill Ripjaws or Corsair Dominator or Vengeance. With 100 dollar budget you should be able to get a 7 or 8 latency model.

If your budget is 300 for storage you should be able to squeeze in a 120 or 128 gb SSD with a 1 TB HDD. Be careful of the SSD's though. Do your research before you purchase one.

About the thermal paste I have no clue, I have the h60 as well, I used the stock thermal paste. I'd like to know the answer to that question as well.

keto October 11, 2011 01:59 PM

Save your money *opinion alert* don't get an SSD unless os loading and game loading times bother you a lot. SSD's are getting cheaper fast (wait a month and watch the prices drop), and are still a maturing technology (meaning they still have bugs and issues, not all of them but plenty of them if you look around). IMO, unless you are going really high end there's no point. Conventional HD's with high spin rates and high cache (WD black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB cache) can be had well under $100 ($75 for mine last week, and you can go 2TB for not much more $).

Also, unsure what you mean by using SSD + HDD in RAID. I'm pretty sure you need 2 identical drives to run RAID. On your Z68 board, you can use an SSD as a cache, maybe this is what you meant?

For a gaming rig, I'd sooner put that money towards more video card, all day long.

Cooling, I went Corsair H80. It's early days (a week today) but I'm extremely pleased with it so far. Got it on sale for $75, it should be out there somewhere in that range. The stock thermal paste is already on the block when you take it out of the box, and is considered to be excellent. As are their fans, though some find them on the noisy/loud side.

For your system, don't bother going more than 8GB RAM, I would say you'd never see the benefit. Stick to 2 piece matched kits, ie, overclocks work much better with 2 sticks @ 4GB than they do with 4 sticks @ 2GB.

You didn't mention a power supply. If yours is 3 yrs old, you might want to think about updating if not upgrading. Depending on whether you're going to run a single newer video card, or buy another 260 to SLI, your needs will be different in each scenario.

Hope that helps some.

FlyingFish October 11, 2011 02:08 PM

Don't bother with a CPU water block like the H60. Get a Hyper 212 and a second fan. It'll be just as good. Those waterblock CPU coolers are comparable to a high end aircooler, but they take up less space. Generally though, the air coolers are cheaper and just as good. Memory, go for G.Skill or Corsair. NCIX usually has a good sale on something. Look for 1600mhz speeds, to give you headroom for overclocking.

With the money that you saved from not getting an H60, you can put that towards your SSD. Crucial M4 is currently the best, but anything from the Sandforce based drives are usually a good solid performer.

If you have some money left over that you're willing to spend, sell your GTX 260 for $80, get yourself a 6870 or a GTX 560ti in the $200 range.

Thermal paste will make at most a 1 or 2 degree difference. Not worth buying some unless you plan on using it frequently as it does eventually dry up.

edit: What you mean by using the HDD and SSD in RAID is to use the write caching feature of the Z68 chipset. If you go that route, you can get a cheaper lower-capacity SSD as it puts the whole thing together as one big drive. Something worth noting: If you go that route, back up your data frequently, as if your SSD or HDD die, then you are screwed.

GT7R October 11, 2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocketfish17 (Post 556516)
With overclocking my CPU I was thinking of going with a CPU water block like the Corsair H60. Should I get a different thermal paste or just use what comes on the CPU cooler?

With my H60 I've got 2-3C lower after replacing the stock paste with an Arctic MX2.
About the GPU - Sell your 260 and get a 560Ti or a 570.

Rocketfish17 October 11, 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keto (Post 556549)
For your system, don't bother going more than 8GB RAM, I would say you'd never see the benefit. Stick to 2 piece matched kits, ie, overclocks work much better with 2 sticks @ 4GB than they do with 4 sticks @ 2GB.

You didn't mention a power supply. If yours is 3 yrs old, you might want to think about updating if not upgrading. Depending on whether you're going to run a single newer video card, or buy another 260 to SLI, your needs will be different in each scenario.

I currently have a generic brand power supply, 700 watt rocketfish, which will do SLI and has plenty of connections, but when I upgrade my GPU, in the next few months, I'll be upgrading that as well.

I think the best way is going with memory is 2x 4gb in dual channel which is what I was leaning towards, but the posts online seem to confirm that as the best way. I'm leaning towards either the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 2x 4GB @ $52.49 on Newegg.ca or Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 2x 4gb, which is $65 minus a $15 discount at tigerdirect.ca. I've used Corsair products in the past and have always been happy with them, I've never heard of the G. Skill Ripjaws before... so I'm not sure about them but I see lots of ppl are using them.

I'd like to go towards the liquid cooling for the CPU and don't mind paying a bit extra for it as I'm a bit OCD with keeping things neat and tidy plus if I'm getting into doing some OC I would prefer the best cooling option available. @ Pabz and GT7R, would you say it's worth the extra $30-$50 for the H60 over something like a Hyper 212?

From what I've read about SSD, I might wait a little while before I get one, they're still pretty expensive for the amount of space on them and if they still have bugs and glitches I'd prefer to wait for more stable hardware. I've usually gone w/ Seagate for my HDD, I like there warranty, I've found 3tb Seagate Barracuda XT for $180 but I see a lot of posts on forums of ppl recommending the Western Dig Black series as a good way to go. I found a 2tb WD black for $167. Any pros and cons between the two? or personal recommendations?

Pabz0r545 October 11, 2011 06:28 PM

Is it worth the extra 30 or so dollars? I can't really say. I'm a n00b and have very little experience. If the money is not an issue and you do like a clean/neat build I am sure you will be happy. As for the performance vs some of the top air coolers I dunno.

However I will say that I did purchase a nice Air CPU cooler but it would not fit on my motherboard because of the VRM Heatsinks. So I went with the H60 just because it was a guaranteed fit and it turns out it is doing the job just fine and I am completely happy with it so far, but it has only been about a month?

Time will tell.

As for the SSD. I went with a crucial m4 and I will tell you I will never want a computer without an SSD ever again. ITS AMAZING. Boot times and game loading time is soo fast. I don't like waiting. I would recommend getting one. If you were going to dish out 180 on a HDD I would definitely put that towards an SSD, and purchase a 1 or 2 tb hdd because they are really cheap. Unless you need the storage space I would say Yes to the SSD, but like said above be careful and do your research before you choose one because apparently a lot of them suck.

Pabz0r545 October 11, 2011 06:42 PM

Since I'm ultra bored I went ahead and picked out some parts that you might be interested in.

Some pretty badass ram(can I say that here)?lol. Like you, I really like Corsair myself. Plus this kit looks cool, has a cooler and runs at 1866 as opposed to the common 1600. It also fits just inside your 100 dollar ram budget.
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMT4GX3M2A1866C9

As for the SSD here is the one I got. Crucial m4. It has a good rep. I read lots of reviews and was recommended this by my Starcraft buddies. I'm sure others on this site would vouch for it as well. It's around 200 bucks and will leave you room for a 2TB HDD for storage staying inside your 300 dollar budget. Of course you could always get a 64 gb if you find that it will suit your needs. I got the 128 because it has plenty of room for Windows, Starcraft 2 and a couple other games maybe. With my needs I don't need anything else. I bought a 1TB for this rig and never used it once, prob never will.
Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Rocketfish17 October 11, 2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabz0r545 (Post 556697)
Since I'm ultra bored[/URL]

That memory would look really sick w/ the fan, but I don't think 4gb would be enough for me... I'm leaning towards the Corsair Vengeance series, and I really like the blue heat sink on it.
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

I've been reading up on the M4, and it seems everyone has been happy with it. I think I might go with the smaller 64GB and a larger 2TB HDD. I'm going to try out the Intel SRT and see how that helps w/ the speed of things. I have a 1TB right now, but it's probaly 3/4 full already. So for my HDD I'm thinking of going either with NCIX.com - Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - Western Digital WD - WD1002FAEX - in Canada or Buy the Seagate ST32000641AS Barracuda XT Hard Drive at TigerDirect.ca Just not sure if the $50 extra is worth another TB.

What I read about SRT here which makes me want to try it out.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...expands-4.html

keto October 11, 2011 08:03 PM

I bought an H80, which is a step up from a 50/60/70. It was on sale at MemEx for about $75 last week, so they aren't *that much* more than a good air cooler....and it is nice n tidy, at least I think so. Works great, at stock speed on 2500K it never hits 55C full load, and at 4.8 it might just touch 70C under a full bench testing load, but gaming load is more like 56-58C. The 2500K has thermal throttling at 95C, so I have tons of headroom.
The warping on the water block is just a reflection off the protective plastic, which I have since removed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...60T-Detail.jpg