Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 07:12 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help everyone.

Here is what I've managed to piece together after a week of being bored at work and spending my work hours putting together a new gaming rig.

Case: Thermaltake Armor A60 ATX Mid Tower - $89 w/ a $20 MIR
MoBo: ASUS P8Z68-V - $190
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K - $219
CPU Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo - $28 (for now I'm going with this will probably upgrade to the Corsair H60 or H80 when I upgrade my current GPU and PSU)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache - $139
SSD: Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 64GB - $114
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance 2x 4GB, Blue - $55
PSU: Corsair HX650W - $109
GPU: BFG nVidia GTX 260 (when I'm not feeling broke again and have more money will be upgrading to a GTX 580 or whatever is all powerful and new before the launch of ST:TOR)

Hopefully this will keep me satisfied with playing most the upcoming games like Skyrim, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3, Minecraft and so on, on High/Ultra settings.

Also I'm hoping this Intel SRT works out well w/ my SSD/HDD, I'll post again when I have it all pieced together, hopefully next week, and let everyone know if it's worth it or not.

Again thanks everyone on this forum for your help, I'm glad I found this site, from what I posted and reading the dozen or so other topics on here I think I've managed to get myself a decent setup for under $1000.

Cheers!

Last edited by Rocketfish17; October 13, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old October 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice looks like you have refined your build very well.
I didn't notice that kit was only 4gb. No wonder it's only 100 bucks.
Old October 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Please don't buy the OCZ PSU, they are bad and if it fails it could fry your system, get seasonic, corsair, antec, XFX, or silverstone.
Old October 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Please don't buy the OCZ PSU, they are bad and if it fails it could fry your system, get seasonic, corsair, antec, XFX, or silverstone.
Thanks for the tip!

What do you think of the Corsair HX650W? On sale right now at NCIX for 109.

Also I'm upgrading my HDD, found a good deal on a 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT
Old October 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketfish17 View Post
Thanks for the tip!

What do you think of the Corsair HX650W? On sale right now at NCIX for 109.

Also I'm upgrading my HDD, found a good deal on a 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT
Depends how important having a modular/semi-modular PSU is for you, if it is important go for the HX650 if it isn't you can get an antec HCG 620w for $65
Old October 13, 2011, 10:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Depends how important having a modular/semi-modular PSU is for you, if it is important go for the HX650 if it isn't you can get an antec HCG 620w for $65
I currently don't have a modular PSU and the aspects of having one would be nice.. would make keeping everything nice and tidy a little more efficient. Also I've read some good reviews about it.

Thanks for the tip.
Old October 14, 2011, 10:46 AM
Rookie

Oh man, the upgrading just keeps on going...

So I got paid today, and instead of buying new tires for my car, which should have been bought last year, I decided to buy an EVGA GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) Classified from Newegg.ca for $350 after rebates + I get Batman Arkham City with it. Let's hope it doesn't rain to much over here on Vancouver Island.

If I had kids, I'm sure they would be starving this month, glad I only have cat's and a wife who considers crackers, chocolate and tea a meal.

Anyways, everything is ordered and I'm getting terribly anxious for everything to come, hopefully Monday or Tuesday!!

I'll post final build specs and a pretty picture once it's all put together.
Old October 14, 2011, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like all your parts. The only thing I would have changed is the mobo to a P67 and pocketed the extra cash, but that's just me.

Also, about the ram: Go with the cheapest 8GB kit you can find with heat-spreaders, unless you'll be doing synthetic benchmarking. It looks like you may have done that already though, because $55 is pretty good.

Are you buying from NCIX? Remember to price-match. You'll be able to take down your order anywhere from $50-$100, I imagine.
Old October 14, 2011, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Are you buying from NCIX? Remember to price-match. You'll be able to take down your order anywhere from $50-$100, I imagine.
I bought almost all the stuff came from from NCIX, I have a friend who gets a discount there and we did a bit of price matching. They didn't have the GTX 570 Classified so I went to Newegg. I'm upgrading my OS to W7 Pro X64 bit, got that from tigerdirect.

The 8gb kit just came on special, was going to be price matched but now there price is even lower so that's a bonus.

I was debating going with the P67, but I really wanted to get an SSD to install OS on, but they're sooo damn expensive to get something with lots of storage (I like having dozens and dozens of games installed at a time). So when I read about the SRT, I figure I'd try a gamble, whether it pays off or not, we'll have to wait and find out.