Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 07:21 PM
Rookie

Default building a gaming computer

hey man, i know that you're a genius in computers.the best i have ever seen :D
i was thinking of building my first gaming computer and after 2 months of searching and researching i reached this results
CPU (intel core i7 2600) and a (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus) as a CPU cooling unit
case (NZXT Phantom case)
RAM (G.skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9 1.25v )
VGA (SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 )
PSU (Cooler Master GX650 650w Bronze Certified PSU)
HDD (Western Digital (WD) Caviar BLUE WD5001AAKX 500GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s16MB Cache HDD )
Motherboards i couldn't choose between Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
then i watched your video about bottleneck and i was afraid that i will mess every thing up so i wanted to ask an Expert like you

so, could you please tell me which motherboard should i buy,your overall opinion in this computer and it's comparability and would be there any bottlenecks ???????
Old October 9, 2011, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

A few questions...
What's your budget?
What resolution do you want to play on? Also what refresh rate is your monitor/tv?
Do you want to have the best graphics settings on everything or are you satisfied with mid-high?
When do you plan to buy everything by? (ex. "I want to have it ready for Skyrim's release")
Are there any components you would mind changing? (ex. I want everything on par with the i7 2600k)

Less important but still a good question...
What games do you plan to play on it?

These are a few questions we need to have answered before we can seriously help you. I would research this myself but I have to get to sleep before my 12 hour shift tomorrow but make sure your RAM works with your MoBo (I'm pretty sure it's dual-channel RAM and you'll be fine but the site didn't say). This should help G.SKILL-Products
Old October 9, 2011, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you're just gaming, get a 2500(K if you're going to overclock, and you will, go get the K model), you don't need to spend for a 2600.

I'd get the Asus P8Z68, awesome motherboard. I'd also shell out for a WD Black HDD (or an SSD if you can afford it). Also don't get a Cooler Master PSU, try for Corsair or Seasonic.

Otherwise you're pretty set I think.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've moved your thread to the proper section, New Builds, where you might get some more views and input.

It may also be a good idea to follow this guide: NOTICE - PC builders, when asking for input on YOUR projects Please Tell so that people can better help you.
Old October 9, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your build looks pretty good. personally though I would dump the 212 and pick up a Noctua NH-D14 and get a Asus p8z68-v for a mobo
Old October 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Rookie

1. What YOUR PC will be used for?
for gaming,3dmax rendering,internet and watching movies

2. What YOUR budget is?
i am from egypt so it,s about 8500 egyption pounds and 1450 us dollars the prices of the computer Components is pretty the same equivalent in Egypt and usa
this link shows the prices and the availability of the computer Components in Egypt Computers Prices, Reviews, Compare in Egypt | EGPrices.com

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from?
egypt

4. IF YOU have a brand preference ?
i prefer an intel processor and ATI GPU

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts ?
i am only going to use my old DVD writer

6. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds?
i don't think that i will do overclocking

7. WHEN do you plan to build it?
as fast as possible

Last edited by karakoon; October 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:47 PM
Rookie

i don;t think that Noctua NH-D14 is available in Egypt i checked that out :)
can you please tell my why did you chose ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo and not even Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD that comes with built in 20GB SSD ??? :)
Old October 9, 2011, 11:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

212+ is more than enough for stock. d14 would be overkill. the asus pro is a very good mobo.

I would swap out the WD BLUE for a WD Black. Drop in a small 40-64GB SSD and run SRT.
Not a fan of CM PSUs so I would swap it out for a Corsair, seasonic or maybe an Antec.

Not a fan of NZXT cases, would swap it out for a Cooler Master...but personal pref...YMMV etc etc.
Low voltage ram is meh. You will at most save a couple watts of power. 1.5v is more than good enough.

Cant comment on the GPU as I have mainly been running NV this gen not ATI.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Okay scratch that, get a 2600K then, if you're rendering. (Seriously, get a K, you'll thank me later)

The ASUS has a little more quality and features to it, and you can buy your own SSD (probably a larger, faster one for the same price too.) and swap it out/whatever if it becomes a problem down the road. Otherwise my suggestions still stand.
Old October 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With the Asus board you can actually automatically overclock your system safely. You might as well get a k processor and use the Asus auto overclocking feature., it will help for rendering a lot.