Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 9, 2011, 12:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need help/opinions (First timer here)

Alright forgive me, but I purchased the parts for my build but I can't seem to see what Im missing other than the CPU Rad(My bad). Anyone have any other suggestions?

Coolermaster Storm Scout case
i7 2600k Sandy
EVGA GTX 580
Corsair Vengance 4x4gb DDR3
Corsair 1050W Modular Power supply
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Western Digital 2TB 7200rpm 3.5"

I also bought 2 extra 120mm fans for the window mounts on the case...
Other than the Rad, I was wondering if I need to grab a 2nd GPU? I have been doing some research on it and from what I have seen its pretty much Boss as a single GPU... Just curious.
Old October 9, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Depends on what you are planning on running. Are you planning on powering a triple monitor setup? Or a single 30 incher and want ALL the eye candy maxed? If so probably, yes. I run a 24" single monitor off my single 580 with no probs...yet. When I do run into issues...i will either replace it with the next new high single card, or pick up another 580 and SLI 'em. Another option is to go for a single 590 instead of the 580. Will give you MOST of the power of a 580 sli's without costing as much....YMMV.

IMHO, I would swap out the Corsair HX1050 (i am assuming) for a the newer AX1200. Higher efficiency and one mean PSU which will give you LOTS of power for later on. I would also include a small 60GB'er and run SRT as you got a Z68 mobo....OR go for a 120 and have real SSD setup. Some good first time options are the Crucial M4s (64gb for srt and 128gb for a more mundane SSD OS setup). M4 64GB would be overkill for SRT hybrid setups...but over-kill is always a good thing. YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 9, 2011, 02:10 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Awesome thanks. Would I be using the SSD for my OS drive only? Sorry when i said first time I meant for real.
Old October 9, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well you never answered AkGs question on what your PC is going to be used for and also how you plan on cooling it. and as for an SSD, well I just have my OS on it and a couple of games and things like my web browser and things like that I have to say right now thought that if you plan on Moving your folders and such to a seperate drive ( which I have done) and you have never done anything like this before then I wouldn't recommend doing this for a first timer because it can be a little confusing .
Old October 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A couple things you'll want to do to clear up some valuable space on your SSD is disable hibernation and then nuke the hyberfil.sys file. It will be around 12 gigs of recouvered space. You'll also want to move your pagefile to a spare drive (storage drive) as it will be around 16 gigs default (or whatever your total ram is)
This will help you loads if you end up purchasing a smaller SSD for the boot drive/games/commonly used programs.

Giving you a total of 28 gigs back. You can google both of these options.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Well you never answered AkGs question on what your PC is going to be used for and also how you plan on cooling it. and as for an SSD, well I just have my OS on it and a couple of games and things like my web browser and things like that I have to say right now thought that if you plan on Moving your folders and such to a seperate drive ( which I have done) and you have never done anything like this before then I wouldn't recommend doing this for a first timer because it can be a little confusing .
Well I plan on doing gaming, multimedia, and eventually using it as a hub for a household network. For cooling, I just have the fans, and I also just purchased the Corsair H80. I pretty much only plan on running the OS and games from the SSD. Then using my Storage drive for things like music and movies.
Old October 9, 2011, 08:46 PM

SRT would probably the way to go then. Games suck up SSD space FAST. Unless you got the cash for a 256GB M4....go with a small (non SandForce) SSD and configure SRT on the mobo. WIll give you most of the speed of a ssd with the space of a hdd. win - win.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I went with the Crucial 128g like you suggested. Im gonna have to do more research than I already have. Everytime I read or watch something new, they use these acronyms I don't know. (Noob)
Old October 9, 2011, 09:04 PM

Good place to start. I havent updated it in a while (only includes last gen drives like the Sf1200 and C300. No Sf2281 and no M4) ...but it will get pointed in the right direction :)

So you wanna buy a SSD? Read this first.

Old October 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Lots of good info... Confusing. But Im sure once I get my parts and put it together then take the time to go step by step it will make more sense. Ill hold on to that link.