Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

View Poll Results: Would you consider this a good gaming PC for the money?
Yes, you did a good job! 2 14.29%
This is a decent build but the price is average for the system specs. 10 71.43%
This is an awful build and you sir should go live under an abandoned nuclear waste facility!!! 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its not that Im no fan of the Corsair Force 3 series, rather its a case of I dont like ANY ONFi 1.0 based solid state drive. If your budget can stretch to it....get an ONFi 2 based one (such as the Corsair Force GT). You'll thank me later. ;)

As for Zotac...two words "customer service". When I buy a video card I always take the hassle factor of RMA'ing it into account. Asus, XFX, Evga...even Gigabyte...all have kick ass Customer Support.

YMMV
Don't forget the Unsung Heros at PNY.
They have so much good customer relations they often get overlooked (for the Longest time too PNY catered to Quadro Users, which require delicate glove handling) and as a result you get amazing Customer support.

I have never delt with Zotac so I have no idea either, they are still an unknown to me.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 15, 2011, 02:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Its not that Im no fan of the Corsair Force 3 series, rather its a case of I dont like ANY ONFi 1.0 based solid state drive. If your budget can stretch to it....get an ONFi 2 based one (such as the Corsair Force GT). You'll thank me later. ;)
Google has let me down... what does ONFi stand for and what are the major differences between 1 and 2? Also how can I tell which is what? I don't see any distinction in the product pages I'm looking at and I don't remember seeing its like while shopping these last few weeks either.
Old October 15, 2011, 03:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Zotac is still a good company a few of my friends own Zotac cards and they have no problems with it.
Old October 16, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
Google has let me down... what does ONFi stand for and what are the major differences between 1 and 2? Also how can I tell which is what? I don't see any distinction in the product pages I'm looking at and I don't remember seeing its like while shopping these last few weeks either.
You usually wont see it advertised. UNLESS its in the mfg'ers best interest to boast about it. This is why sequential read and write are useless ways to pick. IOPS is a way to do it...but SOME companies "cheat" in how they calculate their numbers. :/

Anyways...thats a dif topic all together.

Right now there is basically three types of NAND being used. ONFi 1. ONFi 2.x and DDR Toggle Mode 1.0.
Toggle > ONFi 2 > ONFi 1 in terms of small file performance (with all other things being equal). ONFi and Toggle Mode are two competing standards (with Toggle Mode being the newer "upstart"). ONFi 1.0 was the very first iteration and its slow (50mb/s vs 133 - 200mb/s). The only saving grace of it is that with modern controllers this limitation is only seen in certain instances as they are ALL multiple channel controllers (meaning its 50mbs times the number of channels).

How do you tell which is which? Read reviews on a model before you buy (doesnt matter the size as - for example - Vertex 3's will use ONFi 2 whereas the Vertex 3 MaxIOPS models use Toggle Mode Nand). I always crack open the SSD, decode the part number and include that info in the review. Usually though the easiest rule of thumb is this: if its cheap its probably Onfi 1. if its mid-priced its onfi 2 and if its expensive its TM 1.0. nand...but thats only a rough and ready rule of thumb and there are exceptions so its best to your homework and read reviews on ANY ssd before you buy

Some examples of each:
ONfi 1:
Patriot Pyro
OCZ Agility 3
Corsair Force 3

Onf 2:
Vertex 3
Crucial M4
Kingston HyperX (though this one is SPECIAL as it uses Intel branded ONfi 2 rated for 5k instead of 3k erase cycles)
Corsair Force GT

Toggle Mode:
Mushkin Chornos Deluxe
OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS
Patriot Wildfire

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2011, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
stuff
Great info, thanks! Mind telling me what ONFi stands for just for kicks and giggles?
Old October 16, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Open Nand Flash interface.

Here's their website so you can read up on em. Pretty interesting stuff. :)

Home

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 17, 2011, 06:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Open Nand Flash interface.

Here's their website so you can read up on em. Pretty interesting stuff. :)

Home
Tyvm, I'll read it over when I get home from work! :D

Got any good sites to read on how motherboards work and why some builds are better for specific things? I'm the least knowledgeable with those atm but if you don't have anything I can peruse the web tonight as well.