Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

View Poll Results: Would you consider this a good gaming PC for the money?
Yes, you did a good job! 2 14.29%
This is a decent build but the price is average for the system specs. 10 71.43%
This is an awful build and you sir should go live under an abandoned nuclear waste facility!!! 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2011, 07:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

16GB vs 8Gb shouldnt cause any issues. With RAMso cheap...I use 16 instead of 8 on my builds now. Nice lil bonus for my customers. Use good quality 16GB combo pkg is the secret. ie Dont buy two pkg's of 8GB buy one 16GB.

I personally have become very very fond of the Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb kits. Used 8 packs of these in the past 10 builds and have been happy with em in every single build.

NOT a fan of Zotac. Would chose (any) different mfg for "my" 580.
NOT a fan of ONFi 1 based sf2281 SSDs like the Corsair Force 3. I would either go for Onfi 2 (eg Corsair Force GT) or Toggle Mode NAND (Patriot Wildfire)...or in all likelihood would opt for a Crucial M4.

I would swap out the Seagate 1TB for a WD Black 1TB Sata 6 hdd. Faster with better warranty.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, two respected opinions will satisfy me. I'll let you guys know how it all works out when I grab everything. Thanks again :)
Old October 12, 2011, 07:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
16GB vs 8Gb shouldnt cause any issues. With RAMso cheap...I use 16 instead of 8 on my builds now. Nice lil bonus for my customers. Use good quality 16GB combo pkg is the secret. ie Dont buy two pkg's of 8GB buy one 16GB.

I personally have become very very fond of the Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb kits. Used 8 packs of these in the past 10 builds and have been happy with em in every single build.

NOT a fan of Zotac. Would chose (any) different mfg for "my" 580.
NOT a fan of ONFi 1 based sf2281 SSDs like the Corsair Force 3. I would either go for Onfi 2 (eg Corsair Force GT) or Toggle Mode NAND (Patriot Wildfire)...or in all likelihood would opt for a Crucial M4.

I would swap out the Seagate 1TB for a WD Black 1TB Sata 6 hdd. Faster with better warranty.

YMMV
First off what does YMMV mean...
Do they customize each pack separately? If not then why is it better to buy all in 1 pack?
I'll see if I can find a good WD Black 1TB Sata 6 hdd for similar pricing. Thanks.
Old October 12, 2011, 08:29 PM

Your Mileage May Vary. Dont take anything ANYONE says as gospel. Our sample sizes - thus POV - is too small.

16GB kits have been tested to work together. 8GBs have not been tested t work with another 2nd kit (ie 16GB). USUALLY it doesnt matter...but every once in a while it introduces a "gremlin" that results in the 2nd pkg not playing nice with the first and vice versa

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 13, 2011, 04:32 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ahh ok thanks, I've seen it as OMV or YOMV (Opinions May Vary or Your Opinion May Vary respectively).

So as long as I am getting 16g anyway I might as well get it all together just in case so I'm not that rare gremlin case. Thanks!

P.S. Why aren't you a fan of Zotac or the Corsair Force series? I've heard nothing but positive things about them so far but have had neither so I have no base line to work with.
Old October 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The MoBo I'm getting says it has to be overclocked in order to accept RAM higher than 1600mhz and I have 1866mhz lined up for purchase. Is this going to cause me any issues? I know there is not much difference between the 2 speeds right now (noticeably) but I did have my heart set on this "faster" speed.
Old October 14, 2011, 09:57 AM
MVP

I'm 99% sure you can control the memory speed and timings as a separate item from the CPU speed. Plus, it will run at 1600 if not.
Gigabyte GTX780
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
The MoBo I'm getting says it has to be overclocked in order to accept RAM higher than 1600mhz and I have 1866mhz lined up for purchase. Is this going to cause me any issues? I know there is not much difference between the 2 speeds right now (noticeably) but I did have my heart set on this "faster" speed.

That just means you will have to set the RAM speeds, timing and Voltage Manually in the BIOS (sometimes it defaults voltage correctly, though on my Tridents it didn't).

So you can get your faster speed, you just have to set it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 14, 2011, 07:39 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys!
Old October 14, 2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightninstrikr View Post
Ahh ok thanks, I've seen it as OMV or YOMV (Opinions May Vary or Your Opinion May Vary respectively).

So as long as I am getting 16g anyway I might as well get it all together just in case so I'm not that rare gremlin case. Thanks!

P.S. Why aren't you a fan of Zotac or the Corsair Force series? I've heard nothing but positive things about them so far but have had neither so I have no base line to work with.

Its not that Im no fan of the Corsair Force 3 series, rather its a case of I dont like ANY ONFi 1.0 based solid state drive. If your budget can stretch to it....get an ONFi 2 based one (such as the Corsair Force GT). You'll thank me later. ;)

As for Zotac...two words "customer service". When I buy a video card I always take the hassle factor of RMA'ing it into account. Asus, XFX, Evga...even Gigabyte...all have kick ass Customer Support.

YMMV