Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 3, 2011, 05:32 AM
Rookie

Smile Hello there~

Hi there, I'm just new here, I just wanna ask something before I upgrade my PC.

Here's my PC specs: (It's kinda old )

Processor : Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @ 2.60GHz
Motherboard : ASRock G31M-S
Memory : Kingston DDR2 2Gb
Video Card : Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 1Gb

So, I'm just wondering what part should I upgrade first, because I'm a gamer and I what to play high end games "smoothly", and I'm already planning upgrading my video card in the next few months. So other than that, what should I upgrade more?

Thanks~
Old October 3, 2011, 06:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Upgrade ALL the things!!!!!

jokes aside, you pretty much need a complete system overhaul imho :P head on over to our New Builds section of the Forums

New Builds - Hardware Canucks

There, you can ask all kinds of questions on what would be an ideal build for your preferences/budget. Were here to help you

And Welcome to the forums!
Old October 3, 2011, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Upgrade ALL the things!!!!!

jokes aside, you pretty much need a complete system overhaul imho :P head on over to our New Builds section of the Forums

New Builds - Hardware Canucks

There, you can ask all kinds of questions on what would be an ideal build for your preferences/budget. Were here to help you

And Welcome to the forums!

Word.....you indeed have a dated system. Any upgrades you make may be limited by your power supply, make sure it can handle it.

If you are planning to upgrade video card you could start by changing that first & see what results you have. I would suggest a GTX 560Ti or something in that range. What is your budget?

Oops, as kelly suggests, head over to the new builds thread...and welcome to HWC!
Old October 3, 2011, 07:17 AM
Rookie

Yeah it's really old
By the way, what processor would you suggest that can run new games today, I really don't want to buy an i7 'cause it's way too expensive for me (I'm on a low budget actually )

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Word.....you indeed have a dated system. Any upgrades you make may be limited by your power supply, make sure it can handle it.

If you are planning to upgrade video card you could start by changing that first & see what results you have. I would suggest a GTX 560Ti or something in that range. What is your budget?

Oops, as kelly suggests, head over to the new builds thread...and welcome to HWC!

Yeah I've been setting my eyes for that GTX 560 video card for a while now, maybe I can buy one in the coming months
Old October 5, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjohnz View Post
Yeah it's really old
By the way, what processor would you suggest that can run new games today, I really don't want to buy an i7 'cause it's way too expensive for me (I'm on a low budget actually )

Yeah I've been setting my eyes for that GTX 560 video card for a while now, maybe I can buy one in the coming months
Well, you won't only have to upgrade your processor, you'll have to upgrade your motherboard and RAM, too. Your current socket is LGA775, which is obsolete. Modern Intel CPUs will use LGA1155, and AMD will use AM3.

If you're intent on an intel build, you can go for a:

I5 2500 for $240
Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 ATX Motherboard for $120 after MIR.
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB DDR3 1600 Ram for $57.

For a grand total of: $417 plus taxes. keep in mind you'll have to upgrade your powersupply, and you'll need to upgrade your video card, too.

If you're a little more budget conscious, and aren't as concerned with pure performance, consider going AMD.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.2GHZ for $178
ASUS M5A97 AMD970/SB950 ATX AM3+ will give you AM3+ for upgrade to Bulldozer in the future, plus 2 PCIe slots if you ever want to crossfire/SLI. $110
Same RAM as above, for $57.

for a grand total of $345. Again, powersupply and video card to your liking.

Last edited by great_big_abyss; October 5, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

need a complete overhaul man
but that doesnt mean u need to throw that old com away..use it as your htpc box

if you wanna stick with lga 775 maybe upgrade to a quad core cpu (find a used q9550) and later when the 600 series nvidia/7000 series radeon is out, u can potentially get a used 560 ti for cheap. be wary of your psu wattage also..
Old October 5, 2011, 11:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

You need an overhaul. First, your CPU is a huge bottleneck for anything like a GTX460 performance wise and better. Core 2 quads and duos shine when overclocked. You would need a new motherboard to take advantage of overclocking and a great cooler. I would suggest looking at used 1156 or 1366 combos for sale. That is your best bet. Or save for a 2500K 4gb of ram and a decent board like an Asrock.
Old October 6, 2011, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" 92mm CPU Cooler
Newegg.ca - Recertified: PNY RVCGGTX4601XXB GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Newegg.ca - Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

$450 total, shipped to Ontario. You can save $20 by buying the 460, or motherboard from the B/S/T section, or even getting a cheaper motherboard, but most will not be AM3+.

If you don't have $450 to spend right now, I went from an E5300, 2GB, 4650, to the same setup, but with a 4850 and saw a HUGE improvement. I would suggest to just buy the 460, and power supply now, rather than the other stuff first.

Last edited by NI3; October 6, 2011 at 09:50 AM.