Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2011, 03:15 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default X6 and 8GB's??

Hi everyone. This isn't a new build, it's a question of upgrading. I didn't know where else to post this.... Mods please move this if necessary.

I'm currently running a PII 940 AM2+ cpu at 3.7GHz with 4GB's of DDR2-1066. This rig has been perfectly capable of ripping through virtually everything I've thrown at in the past 2+ years (except Metro2033 and other similar crappy games in eyefinity ), and it still can. BUT I've notice some games such as Homefront uses all 4 CPU cores and RAM up to about 80% usage. Not that it's lagging at all (100+ fps), but I'm concerned about games coming out this fall and for the next year or two, if my machine can last that long. I'm wondering how much more future games will push these two components.

I have a line on two more sticks of RAM to match what I've got now to make 8GB's total, and all AMD X6's are priced very well which has been tempting me for months now. I know Bulldozer is coming soon but I don't want to replace my mobo and do a system re-build just yet. I intend to ride the life out of this 790FX platform!!

My question is will I notice huge gains with the cpu and ram upgrades? Not just in gaming but everyday use as well? Would it be good to go with just an X6 OR 8GB's.... rather then both?
Old September 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
Banned

I did a simular move as what your asking about accept i went 940/DDR2 > 955/DDR3 > 1090/DDR3.

The inherant issue is sticking to DDR2 will limit any preformace benefits moving to a 6 core even if all you do is a multi oc on it. On top of that when you can get 16 gigs of good speed & timing DDR3 ram for $120 its a no brainer to do the move up in board too.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have a 790fx platform with ddr3 and I noticed no difference in performance whatsoever (changed mobo and ram from nvidia 740 SLI and DDR2) that is why I am waiting (patiently) for Bulldozer to come out. I don't think the jump is of any good. the only good change in there would be the X6.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
I did a simular move as what your asking about accept i went 940/DDR2 > 955/DDR3 > 1090/DDR3.

The inherant issue is sticking to DDR2 will limit any preformace benefits moving to a 6 core even if all you do is a multi oc on it. On top of that when you can get 16 gigs of good speed & timing DDR3 ram for $120 its a no brainer to do the move up in board too.
Hmmm.. I don't see how DDR2 would limit any performance benefits going from an x4 to an x6. I think comparing DDR2 and DDR3 using the same CPU you would see a slight increase, but not enough to warrant a new mobo in my situation.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
i have a 790fx platform with ddr3 and I noticed no difference in performance whatsoever (changed mobo and ram from nvidia 740 SLI and DDR2) that is why I am waiting (patiently) for Bulldozer to come out. I don't think the jump is of any good. the only good change in there would be the X6.
Not looking to go to DDR3, just thinking about increasing from 4gb's of DDR2 to 8gb's.
Old September 26, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Hmmm.. I don't see how DDR2 would limit any performance benefits going from an x4 to an x6. I think comparing DDR2 and DDR3 using the same CPU you would see a slight increase, but not enough to warrant a new mobo in my situation.
+1. Just wait for Bulldozer. It's out in 2 weeks anyways. Hopefully.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
+1. Just wait for Bulldozer. It's out in 2 weeks anyways. Hopefully.
Meh, I thought about going with Bulldozer but I don't want to blow that much coin on my rig now. I'm very happy with the performance right now and just want to extend the life of what I have. A bulldozer cpu, mobo and ram would likely cost me about $600+ or so. This route would cost me half of that.... if it's even worth doing.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For Phenom II it's about low timing and high north bridge frequency. Upgrading to ddr3 won't be that noticeable. If you do decide to use 8 gb it will give you more flexibility on background applications.

For gaming I don't think size matters since all games are in the x86 folder.

I won't say wait for Bulldozer since that is not what your asking.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvgearx View Post
For Phenom II it's about low timing
and DDR2 has lower timing than DDR3.
Old September 26, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
and DDR2 has lower timing than DDR3.
DDR3 is still superior in read/write, but when it comes to gaming, there would be hardly any big frames improvements other than upgrading to a better cpu+gpu.

P.S Jessica Nigri is hot.