Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Default low budget build

Just as the title shows, this is going to be cheap so very boring but I appreciate any feedback and thank you for reading!
:)

Actually, this should have an asterisk or something as this isn't for sure but I'd like someone to evaluate if this is doable and a good idea.

I need to sell some stuff to build this and if I sell part of my components plus an old laptop, I think I can come up with the majority of the funds.

So, let's look at what I was thinking of:

(used) MSI gtx 460 1gb - $105 (price + shipped)
i5-2500 - $200
16gb DDR3-1333 - $105
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9
MSI Z68 mobo - $120 - $140 (haven't decided on exact one yet)

I want the mobo to have UEFI BIOS and a Z68 chipset.

Total: $530 approx. (low)

I figure it will cost about $500 or so.

I believe I can get $400 from selling some of my older hardware so I'd only need about $100 extra.

But, is this hardware good for the price?
Old September 20, 2011, 07:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't get acceptable performance out those parts. What were you thinking for a hard drive, or are you going to reuse one you already have?
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Question: What's the point of getting 16GB of ram if you probably won't need it. Plus two 8GB kits are cheaper than that Corsair one...

-Plato

Last edited by jcmaz; September 20, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You could knock off a good 50 bucks from that budget by downsizing to 8gb of ram. 16 is way overkill. You could put that extra 50 towards a better video card.
Old September 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

(used) MSI gtx 460 1gb - $105 (price + shipped)
i5-2500 - $200
16gb DDR3-1333 - $105
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9
MSI Z68 mobo - $120 - $140 (haven't decided on exact one yet)
Price on the GTX 460 is good;
16GB of ram is stupid if you aren't into video and photo editing, etc. Even 4GB is still enough for most people.
i5-2500 (k) why not spend the extra $20 now so you can easily get a lot more performance in the future if you want?

If you're going to pick up a SSD for caching, be very careful to look around and research a bit. There are a lot of SSDs that aren't that fast at caching. Intel has a (expensive) specific 20GB drive that has better performance (SLC I think) for this and 60GB is where you start getting good performance again (with the cheaper MLC SSDs) if the controller is fast enough.

Have you considered the price of: power supply, case, HDDs, optical drives, accessories, OS software, monitor/peripherals? Often you'll have these things from a previous computer, but always need to keep in mind.
Old September 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

spend a few xtra $ n get an asus board
if you want cheap get an asrock

evga e760 +920 4.8 water5.0+ on phase linx stable
gtx285 tri-sli
dfi ut-p35 lt
e8600@4.6 1.38v
too much ram
Old September 20, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup got to say the same thing, drop that kit and grab 2x4gb of Mushkin blacklines, same specs 9-9-9-24 as the Corsair, or grab a kit of corsairs vengeance lp or full sized.

8gb is plenty unless you are using specific apps, encoding, editing, VM, ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Yup got to say the same thing, drop that kit and grab 2x4gb of Mushkin blacklines, same specs 9-9-9-24 as the Corsair, or grab a kit of corsairs vengeance lp or full sized.

8gb is plenty unless you are using specific apps, encoding, editing, VM, ect.
Well, I was going to run a VM setup. That's why I thought of getting 16gb of RAM since it's still pretty cheap. 8gb will do, I suppose?

I know extra cores is good, too, but I'm not sure if that really helps me out to have more than 4. Also, I feel that intel sandybridge is still the best deal even if it's a bit more expensive.

I was going to use the same case, same psu and HDDs for now. This has to fit in an Antec 300.

Unless I sell the current computer altogether, I was going to keep using the components mentioned.

I'm not thinking about getting a SSD just yet. I picked the chip without the multiplier since one can enable both types of virtualization but it's not essential.

I like the idea of low profile RAM, too.

Thanks for feedback!
Old September 20, 2011, 10:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How heavy are you going to running VM's? how many instances and what will you be doing on them?

Hex core phenom would be very good for that and you wouldn't notice much in games from a SB build.

If it's going to take you any length of time to get the funds together keep an eye out for the bulldozer release.
If nothing else it will kill the price of the phenoms and reduce the price of the SB chips.

8GB is plenty if your not doing too much on the VM's but 16 would be better if your running either a big one or multiple vm's at the same time.

/edit
P.S.
What is your current build?
Old September 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Still... he might as well get 8GB for now for like $40 or so and then upgrade if he actually needs the full 16GB of ram. No point getting stuff that you might not use right?

-Plato