Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 12:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Still... he might as well get 8GB for now for like $40 or so and then upgrade if he actually needs the full 16GB of ram. No point getting stuff that you might not use right?
Not if he can't afford to do that. Some people just want to buy and leave it.. all depends on his requirements.
I will offer my opinion of options it is up to him to decide.
Old September 21, 2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

Trying to figure out if there's a difference between AMD-V/AMD-Vi and Intel's virtualization vt-x/vt-d but this research is turning out to be difficult.

Anyway, a few things: I looked at benchmarks on Anandtech, for e.g., and the Phenom II X6 1100T processors don't even do that well vs an Intel i5-2400. Even in multi-threaded applications, the sandybridge processor seems to hold its own.

Another intriguing stat is the power consumption comparison. AMD's processor(s) has a considerably higher power consumption which suggests to me that it's not very efficient at what it does.

So, one, I am not sure what benefit and to what measurement, the extra cores do and how much they're utilized and two, the other negatives make me hesitant to switch to a Phenom processor.

It would be nice to know what bulldozer will offer but the rumors is that it will be disappointing and the constant delays indicate this could be accurate. People will continue to speculate on that until there's actually proper tests and benchmarks to analyse them.

8GB of RAM might be enough. I need to find some VM users who have tried 8gb vs 16gb but I'm not having much luck obtaining a reference by Phenom vs Sandybridge users based on VM use.

All the resources out there are comparing gaming platforms. :)
Old September 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Still... he might as well get 8GB for now for like $40 or so and then upgrade if he actually needs the full 16GB of ram. No point getting stuff that you might not use right?
8GB is $40?!? Where?!?

If I only got 8gb to start with, shouldn't I try to get one in which it's popular or widely available for a long time?

I bought what I believe is top quality Mushkin DDR2 RAM (4GB) but when I wanted to add RAM, it was almost impossible to find.... there's till G.Skill and Corsair DDR2 RAM out there but Mushkin with the same timings isn't available anymore and when it did come up, it was too expensive so I didn't buy it.

Then I thought about upgrading my system while I can and move up a generation.

I think I'm settled on this setup, i5-2500/k and a Z68 mobo with either 8 or 16gb of RAM. I'd go with 8gb but I'm concerned about adding another 8 later whether I can find the same stuff.

Any comments?

I'd like to make this as cheap as possible but have good components so the cpu and mobo I'll try not to cheap out on. I can always add RAM but I'd like to choose one that is likely to be fairly available so that I can still find the same kind/timings.

I already have hard drive(s), case and power supply. It needs to fit in an Antec 300 and the power supply is a Corsair HX520W so it's a bit low but it can drive all this stuff?

Here's what may be plugged into this computer:
460 1gb video card
i5-2500k
Z68 mobo
Audigy 2ZS sound card
OS HDD
(possibly 2 1TB HDDs)

I am not sure whether those power supply calculators are accurate... hear different things but I think they might be ok?

This probably comes to 300-400 watts maybe? I'm just guessing, though.

Oh yeah, I have a laser printer so all this hardware will be plugged into an APC UPS unit....

The VMs will mostly be Windows 7 guest, maybe one or two Linux guests... running via Linux host and another partition that is an actual Win7 install, probably.

I'd like it to be a general purpose machine and there might be some slight gaming. I haven't gamed in eons and I'd like to try one or two out once in a while.

I researched a bit and I think the intel VT-x virtualization might be sufficient. VT-d would be cool but I haven't confirmed what I need since it's up to the mobo manufacturer whether they support it via BIOS. In that case, I'd need a cpu chip without the unlocked multiplier so I'd have to move to i5-2500 and not sure if it's worth it since I can't confirm any reliability with the I/O virtualization (and might not need it).

Any comments?

Thanks for all the replies so far! 'Helped a lot!
Old September 22, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What kind of and how many VM's will you be running..

The advantage of the 6 core phenom is that you can dedicate 1-2 cores to each VM and still have 1-2 left for the actual system.. But it all depends on how many and how heavy they are..

I could run 4 VM's (2 centos and 2 solaris, with apache, tomcat, nagios and a db) for testing purposes without performance decrease on my i7 950.
Granted they weren't running anything really hard on the cpu (or at least not with enough load on those apps to show) so you'd be fine with lighter stuff on the i5.

It all depends on how many and what your doing on the VM's.. a 6 core phenom will blow a 2500 out of the water on heavily multi-threaded tasks.
That said the 2600k will chew them both up.

You have to decide, heavy multi-threadding or not...

if yes then IMO get a phenom x6 or a 2600 i7

if not then the i5 is the best of price - performance.

PS, I'd be very suprised if bulldozer is delayed anymore considering how amd is starting to ramp-up the publicity (the oc'ing record and prices announcement)
May be worth a wait and see what it does (even to the price of other chips)
Old September 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
What kind of and how many VM's will you be running..

The advantage of the 6 core phenom is that you can dedicate 1-2 cores to each VM and still have 1-2 left for the actual system.. But it all depends on how many and how heavy they are..

I could run 4 VM's (2 centos and 2 solaris, with apache, tomcat, nagios and a db) for testing purposes without performance decrease on my i7 950.
Granted they weren't running anything really hard on the cpu (or at least not with enough load on those apps to show) so you'd be fine with lighter stuff on the i5.

It all depends on how many and what your doing on the VM's.. a 6 core phenom will blow a 2500 out of the water on heavily multi-threaded tasks.
That said the 2600k will chew them both up.

You have to decide, heavy multi-threadding or not...

if yes then IMO get a phenom x6 or a 2600 i7

if not then the i5 is the best of price - performance.

PS, I'd be very suprised if bulldozer is delayed anymore considering how amd is starting to ramp-up the publicity (the oc'ing record and prices announcement)
May be worth a wait and see what it does (even to the price of other chips)
Where are the benches showing the Phenom 6-core mopping the floor of the 2500 w/ multi-threaded tasks?

If I go sandybridge, I was thinking maybe something like this:
DDR3 1333 Mhz (PC2-10600) 8gb - $40
BIOSTAR TZ68A+ - $100
i5-2500K - $200

Comments?

I think it might be a while for BD or I'd look at that, too, and compare.

I am not too enthusiastic about Phenom II X6 and this gen.'s higher power consumption compared to snb and even i7-2600 is ok but way more expensive.