Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2011, 09:10 AM
Rookie

Default It's official, my entire new build is used parts from forum trading :D

I've just realized that I've been trading parts for a couple years now and that with my recent motherboard-ram-cpu purchase my entire rig is now from forum trades!

Currently installed:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
($55, stuck at 3.5ghz on the MSI)
MSI P35 Neo-f
(free from friend, a pretty garbage board when it comes to clocking)
OCZ Platinum 2x1gb DDR2-1066
(from same friend)
OCZ Vendetta 2 heatsink
($10, shout out to Dead Things for the fantastic deal)
Xigmatek 775 retention bracket
($13, the Vendetta definitely needs this)
Antec Sonata 3
($35, has a few inconspicuous holes in it from a water cooling mod the previous owner did, but I don't mind)
WD 250gb SATA Hard Drive
($45, got it a while back from someone who couldn't RMA a Canadian drive he brought to the states, so I bought the dead drive and RMA'd it up here)
ECS 9600GT 512mb vid card
($50, a while back someone broke a cap on it and sold it for cheap, I just soldered it back on and it's been going strong since)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI
($22, modded with better opamps and capacitors)
Enermax Liberty 500W
(traded the core of my old 939 opteron system for this and some Yateloon fans lol)

To be installed:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
(got this and the ram for $90)
Kingston HyperX 2x2gb CL5 DDR2-1066
Thermalright HR-03 GT
($26, going to replace the stock Accelero S2 on the 9600GT with this thing wrapped around the card, so the CPU fan can cool it as well)
Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fan
(came with Sonata, quieter than the OCZ stock fan)

Got to tell you, as a poor recent grad with student loans to pay but still want to keep the computer hobby going, the forum trading is a God send. People are usually super nice, and the prices are unbeatable. Hopefully this will encourage anyone who's shy about trading to get into it and not pile their old stuff in a closet to be thrown to a landfill a few years later.

Last edited by trowakage; September 18, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowakage View Post
I've just realized that I've been trading parts for a couple years now and that with my recent motherboard-ram-cpu purchase my entire rig is now from forum trades!

Currently installed:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
($55, stuck at 3.5ghz on the MSI)
MSI P35 Neo-f
(free from friend, a pretty garbage board when it comes to clocking)
OCZ Platinum 2x1gb DDR2-1066
(from same friend)
OCZ Vendetta 2 heatsink
($10, shout out to Dead Things for the fantastic deal)
Xigmatek 775 retention bracket
($13, the Vendetta definitely needs this)
Antec Sonata 3
($35, has a few inconspicuous holes in it from a water cooling mod the previous owner did, but I don't mind)
WD 250gb SATA Hard Drive
($40, got it a while back from someone who couldn't RMA a Canadian drive he brought to the states, so I bought the dead drive and RMA'd it up here)
ECS 9600GT 512mb vid card
($40, someone broke a cap on it and sold it for cheap, I just soldered it back on and it's been going strong since)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI
($20, modded with better opamps and capacitors)
Enermax Liberty 500W
(traded the core of my old 939 opteron system for this and some Yateloon fans lol)

To be installed:

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR
(got this and the ram for $90)
Kingston HyperX 2x2gb CL5 DDR2-1066
Thermalright HR-03 GT
($26, going to replace the stock Accelero S2 on the 9600GT with this thing wrapped around the card, so the CPU fan can cool it as well)
Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fan
(came with Sonata, quieter than the OCZ stock fan)

Got to tell you, as a poor recent grad with student loans to pay but still want to keep the computer hobby going, the forum trading is a God send. People are usually super nice, and the prices are unbeatable. Hopefully this will encourage anyone who's shy about trading to get into it and not pile their old stuff in a closet to be thrown to a landfill a few years later.
Good to hear! I almost always blow out my used equipment for a fair price with the hopes that someone will get lots of use from it.