Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Post Antec Kuhler 920 temps

Just wondering...

I have just put my system together with the antec 920 kuhler on a 2600k. Anyone have any experience with thier temps? Think my ambient room tenp is around 20 c but the cpu temp has varied very little (according to the software from antec) although i can change the setting for the fan which seems to be working the core temp seem very steady with little or no change weather I game or browse.
Around 30 c

Am I being overcatious ? Or does this unit cool that well?

Thanks in advance..
Old September 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What does CoreTemp and Real temp have to say about it?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm running an i5 2500k in a HAF 912, it idles around the low 30s, gaming it gets into the 50s, into the 70s on prime95. This is on stock heatsink.

From what I've read elsewhere, those temps are fine. At 80+ you should be looking at better cooling.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Top Prospect

I'm running a Corsair H70 which is pretty much the same thing as the Kuhler 920 and my temps are quite similar - mostly high 20's/low 30's during idle. More importantly though, what load temps do you get?
Old September 16, 2011, 08:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Red face

I ran prime 95 and the temp gradually increased to around 45 c before the fans started ramping up after that stayed fairly steady. I guess I was concerned I had installed the 920 incorrectly but seems to be meeting the expected norms.
Guess I would just like to say in the FT02 this is the most rock solid set up I have had and with the exception of the noise under extreme load when the cooler maxes out, this system is sooo quiet. I supose i was just apprehensive after going from my last case NZXT phantom to this noise is much less..

Sorry to bother with lame post just so different i thought i had messed install..

thanks all
Old September 16, 2011, 09:39 PM
Top Prospect

Yeah looks like everything's OK. It never hurts to ask, though.
Old October 2, 2011, 08:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My temps are similar. 30/31 at idle with an ambient of 22.

I had to run Prime 95 yesterday (In-place large FFT's) for over an hour and in "Custom" setting my temps reached 77, but stabilized at about 71 per CoreTemp.

My problem is that the Antec 920 is too slow to ramp up because it's sensor is geared to the liquid temp which was only at 42 when real CPU temps were at +70. Even then, it only ramps up to 2800-3000 rpm pump and 720-ish rpm for the fans. I think it should ramp up more quickly, to say, 1000-1200 fan rpm to keep liquid temps under 40.

I switched to EXTREME mode (and put in ear plugs) and it immediately dragged temps back to about 58. When gaming it rarely goes over 55-60 in Custom mode.

Like I said, I wish the 920 had a more middle of the road approach - ramp up sooner and stay at 1200-ish rpm before an EXTREME approach is needed. Otherwise I love it. I ordered 2 GELID Silent 12 PWM fans and will swap them in and see if they are quieter at similar temps to the stock Antec fans.

My first post - be gentle with me...
Old January 7, 2012, 06:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Updated Temps with GT AP-15 Fans

I replaced the stock Antec fans with 2 Gelid Silent 12 PWM fans. I was very happy with the results. Because they were PWM they operated perfectly with the Antec ChillControl V software - in terms of controlling fan speed. These fans idle at about 750 and max out at 1500 rpm. They were MUCH quieter at the "Extreme" settings with respectable temps of about 62 (Liquid temps of 33.8) when running Prime95.

I was finally able to get 2 Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15's this week (excellent price $13 plus shipping) and replaced the Silent 12's. Temps are better with my hottest core at 59 (Liquid temps of 31.7) in Prime95. That's a 3 degree drop...the downside is that since the AP-15's are not PWM, they are running at max 1850 rpm all the time. They are quieter than the Silent 12's at max rpm, but I only ran the Silent 12's in Extreme when benchmarking etc. The other 99% of the time they idled nicely and were much quieter than the AP'15's, which produce a constant low pitched hum - not too annoying, but the idea was to get as quiet as possible with max cooling for the Antec 920.

Unless I can get a fan controller like a Lamptron FC 2 that will allow me to dial back the noise of the AP'15's, I might just re-install the Silent 12's. Any other ideas how to control the AP-15 fans when not benchmarking etc?