Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2011, 02:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Anyone have this case?

I am building a new home server since my current one has ran out of space. Most of the parts are pulls from servers that I have retired recently or other bits here and there. I am needing to buy a case since I want to have hot swap and I have a work room in the basement with a test rack. I am currently looking at the Norco RPC-4220, I have seen Norco cases before and they seem to be on the...cheap quality, I am wondering if anyone has used their hot swap cases before and had good results or head aches.

I have 8 2TB drives on order for the one raid array, and currently have 4 2TB drives to go on another array plus a mirrored OS. So out of the gate I will be using at least 14 drives when I complete my build so I don't want hot swap drives failing because I cheaped out on the case. Any experiences with these cases is appreciated.
Old September 15, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the Norco 3116 but my build isn't quite done yet.

Overall the case doesn't really seem cheap to me, but rather mid-level quality. The stock fans are loud (Imagine 2 hairdryers having a scrap and you'll get the idea) and I'll be modifying them to use 120mm's instead.

Cable routing looks like it might be a bit difficult as well.
Old September 16, 2011, 07:25 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

how are the hot swap bays in the 3116? seem solid? any connectivity issues over time? knowing your not done your build yet, just hoping some drive bays have been used.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They seem solid enough, but I can't compare to real enterprise stuff.

The OS has to go in and the drives have to go in. Everything else is done.