Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Default All-AMD build for under $460, already have case, disc, and HDD

I have a Haf 920, 4 250gb hard drives, and a disc drive. These are the other parts I'm getting. Any recommendations?

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - $100

PowerColor AX6850 HD 6850 - $130

COOLER MASTER eXtreme 500w - $33

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - $140

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB - $50 (This I'm very iffy on. I want at least 8gb of Ram, but I don't know how big the difference between 1060 and 1333 is. Constructive criticism would be nice here!)

And then some Arctic Silver for $10.

All suggestions will be taken into deep thought, I'm very grateful you guys have helped me out so much. This build is primarily for gaming, if you were wondering. Thanks!
-Theo
Old September 14, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry no time for a long post, but definitely change the PSU. Find something Seasonic, corsair, XFX, Antec. Its not going to be thirty some dollars, but it won't risk frying the rest of your computer. Don't skimp on the one part that powers and can affect every other component in your system.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Sorry no time for a long post, but definitely change the PSU. Find something Seasonic, corsair, XFX, Antec. Its not going to be thirty some dollars, but it won't risk frying the rest of your computer. Don't skimp on the one part that powers and can affect every other component in your system.
It's actually a really nice power supply, a $50 one. Newegg sale.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What he meant is that CM isn't as reliable as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec or XFX in terms of PSU. And a PSU is something you shouldn't cheap on. Thus, I also recommend going one of those 4 brands.

Granted this build is mostly for gaming, I wouldn't go for a 2.8ghz non Black 6 core CPU.
If I was going for a 6 core AMD CPU, it would be X6 1090T, otherwise, I'd maybe try for some 4 core, something like this used combo with an X4 955 otherwise a new X4 955 or 965.

For the RAM it won't do much difference unless u overclock (and even then, u'd have to know what you are doing). In which case, you will definitively need an aftermarket heatsink. Possibly something along the lines of a CM 212.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post
What he meant is that CM isn't as reliable as Seasonic, Corsair, Antec or XFX in terms of PSU. And a PSU is something you shouldn't cheap on. Thus, I also recommend going one of those 4 brands.

Granted this build is mostly for gaming, I wouldn't go for a 2.8ghz non Black 6 core CPU.
If I was going for a 6 core AMD CPU, it would be X6 1090T, otherwise, I'd maybe try for some 4 core, something like this used combo with an X4 955 otherwise a new X4 955 or 965.

For the RAM it won't do much difference unless u overclock (and even then, u'd have to know what you are doing). In which case, you will definitively need an aftermarket heatsink. Possibly something along the lines of a CM 212.
I know cooler master isn't as well known, but I've seen really good reviews of that specific power supply, and the deal is great. If you could find something that powers these specs for a similar price, that would be awesome. I'd prefer to buy from NewEgg, as well, I am american, after all.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theolonious View Post
I know cooler master isn't as well known, but I've seen really good reviews of that specific power supply, and the deal is great. If you could find something that powers these specs for a similar price, that would be awesome. I'd prefer to buy from NewEgg, as well, I am american, after all.
Only trustworthy reviews I know of consider that specific CM unit to be a failure that can't even meet Intel spec. Most trustworthy reviewers expect good units to be well above Intel's specifications.

HARDOCP - Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500w - Entry Level Power Supply Roundup

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets

If you really want to stick with a cheap Coolermaster unit available on Newegg, you're better off with this one: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 460 RS-460-PSAR-J3 460W ATX12V V2.31 Power Supply
Keep in mind that it's realistically less than a 400w unit by today's standards.

I would recommend one of these Antec units though: Newegg.com - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W Continuous Power ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Newegg.com - Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply

EDIT: also, is gaming the only intensive thing you'll be doing with the machine? If so a hexacore processor is a waste of money, despite them being so cheap.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You should be able to find 1600 mhz ram for that price... In canada you can get 8 gigs 1600 cl9 1.5v for as low as $40 i ahve seen it. So$50 for 1333 is not that good.

Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

That 1.65v kit will do considering you aren't building SB

More choices that aren't the shell shocker

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT51264BA160A

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Half those kits are in your budget and better than the kit you picked out.

Last edited by JJThomp; September 14, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a 70% efficiency PSU which is quite aweful by today's standards with only 2 years warranty.

Here are a few choices which are all better than this one, 80% or better efficiency (means u save money in the long run), 3 years warranty and overall better quality.

Antec HCG 520W
Antec EA 650W
Corsair CX500W
Seasonic S12II 520W 5 years for this one
Antec Neo 520W
Old September 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you live here in Canada I can help you in your quest for a good deal(pricematching through NCIX is a great place to start)

Motherboard I would recomend
ASUS M5A99X EVO, yes it is a couple bucks more, however it is worth it, better power regulation, better caps, better overclocking headroom, better auto overclocking, better performance from attached hard drives, better performance from pci-e ports , you can get this for approx $40 more, price matching gets it to around the $138-$142 range.

CPU
955 BE or 965 BE, the 955BE with a decent cooler averages in the 3.8-4.2Ghz overclocking range, real easy to do, and is only $109 price matched, the 965BE is a slightly better overclocker and is around the $120 range. Both of these can match the 980BE cpu(with overclocking and decent cooler, which can be had for around $28) the 1055T is an ok cpu if you are doing a media type pc, however for gaming focused, not many games use the 6 cores fully, I would recomend a II X4 cpu instead, as saves $, and are still very capable gaming cpu, only a handfull of games take advantage of 6 core and beyond pcu as of now.

RAM
Gskill Ripjaw, or SNIPER SE 1600, can easily get 1600 class 8gb kits of ram in the $45-$60 range.

GPU
ASUS or XFX Radeon 6850, I wouldn`t touch power color with a 10 foot pole, I have used ASUS motherboards-gpu for many years now and they have not let me down, the Asus DCII 6850 and the XFX dual fan XXX, or the gigabyte overclocked 6850 would be well worth the extra few $, another choice might be the sapphire Toxic/vapor X models.

PSU
You do not need higher then a quality 600-700w power supply for a single card(even with a 6970) gaming system, there are some really nice ones for decent cost, and that PSU you listed is crud, spend a little more, get alot more in return, do not short change what you should not.
Corsair-XFX-Antec-some cooler master-some PC pNC-some thermaltake, there are really nice units, all the ones I would personally recomend based on testing-durability-safety are all in the $60+ range.

Thermal paste
AS5 is decent stuff, it really is, however there are many other valid choices, and the cooelr I would recomend comes with its own that is actually quite good, I am using it, and my bro used the same thermal stuff on his PS3, so it works well, however you might be able to save a few $ on something other then AS5, that will work just as good.

I helped 3 fellow canadians do orders(in the last month 12 in last year including myself) 2 of them in the $1200+ range full builds(ready for bulldozer) 1 in the under $800 range, and a fellow US buddy with a very very similar need as you, only difference he did not have PSU requirement(his would be around the $345 mark)

Anyways, CPU-MOBO-GPU-RAM-PSU for something overall worthwhile would push you a little above the $500 range after taxes/shipping(maybe a little less with pricematching) PSU like others pointed out-DO NOT TAKE CHANCES WITH IT, its not worth it. GPU powercolor and visiontek I have overall not heard many positive things with them over the years(poor rma/customer service mostly) anyways if you need help I would be glad to pricematch and such, I do it often and review parts every day of the week, I am far from new at this (^.^)

Edit: Off site linking for help/support rather then here is frowned upon and has been removed

Last edited by Arinoth; September 15, 2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

well, I would help you directly, but as you can see it has been edited :P, come by tommorow, and we shall see what we can do, I shall repost whatever you decide on for the final parts to see what was suggested, the price, and where it was gotten from.

Either way, what I listed above is what it is, I cannot price match to help you without being in direct contact with you though, silly admins.

Anyways, hit me up when you can, and try to have a mic or at least be able to hear me if you do, I shall be back tommorow evening around 5pm EST if I can help with something.