Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2011, 11:28 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Talking FT02 with kuhler 920 orientation??

Just building a system in a silverstone fortress 2, was thinking of using the antec 920 as a replacement for the exhaust fan in the top of the case, I have seen people using this and placing the said 920 cooler one the bottom of the case in one of the 180mm fans.

looking for opinions, thoughts/experience...

thanks in advance
Old September 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No experience, but I think it would work just fine at the top of the case. Just keep in mind that heat rises and some heat from your GPU would be pushed through the rad and would heat the water up a tad, probably only by a couple degrees.
Old September 12, 2011, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

No...you definitely want to keep the Kuhler mounted at the top exhaust fan. If you have the radiator mounted at the bottom of the case, the pump won't stay primed and you'll get air inside the pump which is very hard on it. With the radiator mounted at the top of the case, you'll have no problems keeping the pump primed and your Kuhler should work no problem.

For that reason, as a general rule of thumb with the pre-filled water coolers, keep the radiator ABOVE the pump/cold plate.

Hope this helps. :)
Old September 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Great info thanks for that.
Old September 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhurt69 View Post
Great info thanks for that.
No problem...glad to help! Best of luck with your build!
Old January 8, 2013, 01:16 AM
Trial Member

Talking above...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
No...you definitely want to keep the Kuhler mounted at the top exhaust fan. If you have the radiator mounted at the bottom of the case, the pump won't stay primed and you'll get air inside the pump which is very hard on it. With the radiator mounted at the top of the case, you'll have no problems keeping the pump primed and your Kuhler should work no problem.

For that reason, as a general rule of thumb with the pre-filled water coolers, keep the radiator ABOVE the pump/cold plate.

Currently I have an Antec 920 installed and with the rad ports on the bottom and the water block connected so the antec logo reads correctly and the hoses are underneath it. all the lines and ports are parallel.

Questions:

Should the tubes be entering the block/pump from above or below? Should the tubes be at the top or bottom of radiator?How much above can i get here?
Old January 8, 2013, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Besides that, the 3 180mm fans generate an absurd amount of airflow, would't expect the system to heat up all that air all that much.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure there are next to no bubbles in those prefilled loops, however they do it.