Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   FT02 with kuhler 920 orientation?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/46386-ft02-kuhler-920-orientation.html)

willhurt69 September 11, 2011 11:28 PM

FT02 with kuhler 920 orientation??

Just building a system in a silverstone fortress 2, was thinking of using the antec 920 as a replacement for the exhaust fan in the top of the case, I have seen people using this and placing the said 920 cooler one the bottom of the case in one of the 180mm fans.

looking for opinions, thoughts/experience...

thanks in advance

supaflyx3 September 11, 2011 11:31 PM

No experience, but I think it would work just fine at the top of the case. Just keep in mind that heat rises and some heat from your GPU would be pushed through the rad and would heat the water up a tad, probably only by a couple degrees.

francisw19 September 12, 2011 10:14 AM

No...you definitely want to keep the Kuhler mounted at the top exhaust fan. If you have the radiator mounted at the bottom of the case, the pump won't stay primed and you'll get air inside the pump which is very hard on it. With the radiator mounted at the top of the case, you'll have no problems keeping the pump primed and your Kuhler should work no problem.

For that reason, as a general rule of thumb with the pre-filled water coolers, keep the radiator ABOVE the pump/cold plate.

Hope this helps. :)

willhurt69 September 12, 2011 11:01 AM

Great info thanks for that. :clap:

francisw19 September 12, 2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willhurt69 (Post 548661)
Great info thanks for that. :clap:

No problem...glad to help! Best of luck with your build! :thumb:

darthmikhail January 8, 2013 01:16 AM

above...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisw19 (Post 548650)
No...you definitely want to keep the Kuhler mounted at the top exhaust fan. If you have the radiator mounted at the bottom of the case, the pump won't stay primed and you'll get air inside the pump which is very hard on it. With the radiator mounted at the top of the case, you'll have no problems keeping the pump primed and your Kuhler should work no problem.

For that reason, as a general rule of thumb with the pre-filled water coolers, keep the radiator ABOVE the pump/cold plate.

Currently I have an Antec 920 installed and with the rad ports on the bottom and the water block connected so the antec logo reads correctly and the hoses are underneath it. all the lines and ports are parallel.

Questions:

Should the tubes be entering the block/pump from above or below? Should the tubes be at the top or bottom of radiator?How much above can i get here?

concinnity January 8, 2013 12:16 PM

Besides that, the 3 180mm fans generate an absurd amount of airflow, would't expect the system to heat up all that air all that much.

concinnity January 8, 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by francisw19 (Post 548650)

Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure there are next to no bubbles in those prefilled loops, however they do it.