Default new i7 rig

so far i have a

i7 2600k Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68

asus 480
power & cooling 750w silencer

Noctua Dual NH-D14

just need to upgrade my memory which needs to be low profile due to the noctua
im thinking of going down the lines of these 16gig
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Module Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

or this G.SKILL-Products

is there much difference in getting 8 gig to 16 gig ?

would this be ok for what i need , mostly gaming rig

thanks for any replys

Last edited by bertz; September 9, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertz View Post
so far i have a

i7 2600k Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68

asus 480
power & cooling 750w silencer

Noctua Dual NH-D14

just need to upgrade my memory which needs to be low profile due to the noctua
im thinking of going down the lines of these 16gig
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Module Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

or this G.SKILL-Products

is there much difference in getting 8 gig to 16 gig ?

would this be ok for what i need , mostly gaming rig

thanks for any replys
If you are just gaming even 8gb is like overkill lol. I definitely don't think you will need 16gb, but its up to you, maybe down the line you might need it for something. But I doubt it would be for gaming.

480 is still a good card, so no point getting a new gfx card.

I would recommend a Corsair PSU. I've always stuck with Corsair when it came to PSU's. Great customer support too. But to be fair I have never used P&C.

Heres 8gb RAM on sale at NCIX
NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory - Mushkin Enhanced - 996995 - in Canada
looks like a good deal. But I realize that amazon link is from the UK. So if you do live there probably have to look elsewhere than NCIX. Not too familiar with PC shops in the UK.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

8 gigs isn't overkill at all, I think it's a perfect amount to get. 4 just isn't enough anymore, with all the stuff sitting around in the background, lord forbid you want to keep a firefox window running while you game. 16 is indeed overkill for most applications though.
Old September 9, 2011, 03:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

id say go for how ever much you want. i always say you cant have to much ram. but yea go for the vengence ive heard good things about it. and a corsair psu as well
not that im a corsair fanboy or anything
Old September 9, 2011, 04:18 PM
Rookie

thanks guys ive ordered just 8 gig for now then can always upgrade etc at a later date but thanks for the replys
Old September 12, 2011, 05:42 PM
Rookie

hi just a question on SSD drives , are they really worth the money there asking for them ?

at the moment i have just a sata raptor 150gig drive but what with doing a new rig ,im thinking would be worth going down the ssd route and not having to install everything etc again if i didnt.

if so whats a good one ppl could recommend im thinking id need a 120 gig maybe

thanks in advance once again im a novice to this topic
Old September 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well if you go with the Z68 route, having an SSD in intel SRT mode is realy nice, speeds up your whole pc. Bought my SSD a year a ago and never regretted it one bit.
Old September 12, 2011, 08:06 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evochuck View Post
Well if you go with the Z68 route, having an SSD in intel SRT mode is realy nice, speeds up your whole pc. Bought my SSD a year a ago and never regretted it one bit.

kinda got me even more interested in getting one now becoming an expensive game it is .

any recommendations >?

been looking at one of these Crucial CT128M4Solid State Drive2 128GB M4 Solid State Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

im also wondering what would it be like say i got a 64gig version for just my OS and programs then any games i installed like bf3 etc onto my 2nd just normal sata drive, what effect would this have on performance loading it from my 2nd drive would there be no point in having the SSD for just my OS.
i mean im not to fussed about pc loading up quicker from when i turn it on

if anyone out there sort of gets my point
Old September 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

putting your OS on your SSD is great, and loading games off a secondary 7200 rpm+ drive is great as well. No problems whatsoever there.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

For starters, Intel SRT is useless over 60gb BUT what could be an awesome route would be partitionning your ssd in 2: you use 60gb for the smart cache and the rest you put your OS on, that way you get lightning fast boot times and the SRT quickness in your every days tasks/games.