Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2011, 03:58 AM
Rookie

Default $2000 Gaming Build Advice

I'll be upgrading my old rig for the upcoming games like BF3. I do not have much knowledge on PC and would like to have this setup a simple yet powerful ones
I'm hoping I can use this build for a few good years!

Current Build
Q6600
Gigabyte Ep45-DS3
Powercolor HD 6870
4GB RAM
Samsung 1TB HDD
CM 690
Seasonic X850w
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit

Upcoming Build (Still in progress, would like to have feedbacks here)

i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68V-Pro
Asus GTX 580 Direct Cu II
8GB G-Skill RipJawX 1600MHz CL9
120 GB OCZ Vertex 2
Noctua NH-D14
HAF X/NZXT Phantom ( I have still yet to decide which to get, any recommendations?)
Windows 7 Professional 64bit

I'll be reusing my Seasonic X850w only.

What struck in my mind is should I reuse HD 6870 and CrossFireX it on my upcoming build? Or should I sell it and get a new GTX 580? I have received different feedbacks and would like to get more to make my mind up.

Would my choice of the motherboard any good?

How about the casing? I am having a deep thoughts on this. Surely the Phantom is one hell of a design, but what about the build quality and airflow? I understand the HAF X has a superb airflow but the design is somewhat ugly haha another point is it does have a side window!!

I maybe, just a maybe watercooled this build in the future. But given the shallow knowledge I have right now. It's going to be a pain in the ass

Last edited by gokilz; September 9, 2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing that I think I would change would be the ssd. OCZ have had a lot of issues with their models, not completely sure why though. You might want out to check out all of Akg's reviews here on HWC to get better insight into the matter. The Crucial M4 with the new firmware just released are supposed to be pretty decent.

As for the case I personally like the HAF series, so that would be my vote..although I don't have anything against the Phantom.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 9, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If it is a gaming PC, why not get a Sniper 2 for the audio and NIC? Plus it has OC button for 700Mhz instant OC.

You could also save $$ on SSD by getting a 64GB and using it for caching your 1TB drive.
Old September 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
Rookie

Sorry but what is NIC?

I've never heard of the Sniper 2, this is the Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 Z68 motherboard am I right?

Would this be better than the Asus P8Z68V-Pro

Alright, noted on the SSD. I'll read up more on which brand to get
Old September 9, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah, that is the one. Review is here: Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 Z68 Motherboard Review

Have a look at the review and you will see what I mean about the X-Fi and E2100. If you dont have a sound card or NIC then it may be worth considering Sniper 2. I loved the sound quality on the board.
Old September 10, 2011, 12:48 AM
MVP

+1 on the newer crucial M4 SSD for the same price almost.
Both the Phantom and HAFX are great cases with regards to aircooling, along with the Rosewill Thor 2, Corsair Graphite, and Silverstone RV03. A point to make is that the NHD14 and Direct CUII aircoolers take a huge headache off your head and you can worry less about your case. Go with what you like.
If the price between the GTX580 Direct CUII and the GTX580 Matrix is less then $50, go for the Matrix.
Sandy bridge's overall heat generation and power consumption renders water cooling unnecessary, except for the extreme over-clocker. NHD-14 and Asus' gpu coolers are best-in-class air-coolers.
A suggestion would be to change the RAM to G.Skill Sniper low voltage 1600 CL9. easier on the power -> less heat generated. Same performance with modest overclocking but not on the extreme side.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:23 AM
Rookie

Thanks! Since I have near to zero knowledge on WC, its good to hear that airflow is simply enough for this build!

Guess I can save that money and pump it into something else. As for GTX580 Matrix, my local store doesn't carry it, so I'll take the Direct CU II then. Is there any other suggestions for the low voltage RAM, again my local store doesn't have this . They only carry limited selection but they do have loads of stock on Kingston/Corsair brand.
Old September 10, 2011, 02:56 AM
Top Prospect

What about reusing the 6870 for a while, until the new series come out. Then you can decide on either the 5XX or the 6XX series.
Old September 10, 2011, 04:01 AM
Rookie

I think I'll just do a full upgrade on this

Anyway, if I am to mod the NZXT Phantom like this on the picture. Would the airflow be badly affected? I'm not going to OC and WC. Just pure air cooling.

Once I thought this is the final build, more ideas kept coming and damnnnnn I am confused
Should I go for the initial Asus P8Z68V Pro, Asrock Fatal1ty p67 Professional B3 or go for Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z?

Last edited by gokilz; September 10, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old September 15, 2011, 08:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

V pro motherboard are awesome, asus has many choices in the Z68 family and all are very good from various reviews.

Another case selection or 2 would be the Rosewill Thor V2, Or Corsair Carbide 400R/500R, I own a silverstone Raven 03 and love it, great cooling, though it takes time to wire it properly.