Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2011, 07:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Home PC build. Need help and opinions

Hello everyone.
Just a little bit of background to start with.
I am in the market to build a PC for my bedroom. It is going to be used for some gaming, media center type, and some internet surfing.
Back in 2005-2006, I used to work in an IT store building desktops. But since things have changed alot (hardware wise and OS wise) and my knowledge is frozen in time at 2006. So I will probably asking some noob questions.

I want to invest between 800 and 1000 CAD tax in. I am planning to build something that will last me at least 3 years.

This is the parts list I came up with.

ASUS P8P67 LE REV3.0 ATX LGA1155 P67 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 3PCI IDE USB3.0 Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard
Sold for 125$

Intel Core i5 2500 Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB
$195

Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Bl Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory Kit
$63

Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 1TB SATA2 3GBPS 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive Oem
$57

Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SSD SATA3 Solid State Disk 555MB/S Read Sandforce SF-2200
$133

ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti DC Top 975MHZ 1GB 4.1GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI VGA PCI-E Video Card
$125

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
$19

Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-600CXV2 600W ATX Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan *3 Year Wrty*
$60

Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound
$52

I wanted to go with both the SSD and HDD since the SSD seems to be much faster. So I would like to run the OS (Windows 7) from the SSD and use the HDD for storage.

I have a 42"LCD that I am planning on using as my display.

Can someone tell me if there are compatibility issues with this build? I went through it and couldnt spot any problems. And if there's any parts that you would swap for something else, please don't hesitate to make your recommendations.
How would I install my OS? My school gives me a Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit that I can download. Is there anything else that I need?
I remember back in the day, startup floppy discs were essential.
Would the SSD make a big enough difference to justify the 140$ extra?

All prices are taken from direct Canada. It looks like they offer the best pricing.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 7, 2011, 09:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nothing glaringly wrong with it from what i can see.

Not sure what the current stock cooler is like, may want to spend a small amount on something that will keep the chip nice and cool without causing a racket
(if stock is poo, which generally I find they are)

The SSD, basically if you like fast boots and loads of games etc then you'll see a big difference.
That said you'll see a huge difference with a new rig anyway.

I use my PC pretty much as you do and to be honest I'm 50/50 on whether it's really worth a SSD yet.
Personal choice, but I'd probably invest in a larger GPU (580 mebby) rather than the SSD.
it all depends on whether you want more graphics power or faster load times.

If unsure I suggest get the biggest card you can and then when budget allows try an ssd (return it if you don't like it :P )

I'm currently debating myself whether to get an ssd and hdd or just stick with the cheaper hdd option.
Old September 8, 2011, 12:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

looks good to me! only one thing, skip the Corsair Force GT. people are still having problems with them, and its' all over the corsair forums. I've had a force 3 myself and was having BSOD once a day, definitely annoying. Go with the Crucial M4 instead! I have that one now, and it's so reliable and stress free, not to mention a new firmware (0009) came out that boosted performance for the drive too! they've been going on sale lately, i picked mines up for 160$ U.S on slickdeals.

I noticed you are also getting the i5 2500? Spend a about 20$ more and go for the i5 2500k, so you can overclock (so very easy) to get much added free performance.
Old September 8, 2011, 03:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudFire View Post
looks good to me! only one thing, skip the Corsair Force GT. people are still having problems with them, and its' all over the corsair forums. I've had a force 3 myself and was having BSOD once a day, definitely annoying. Go with the Crucial M4 instead! I have that one now, and it's so reliable and stress free, not to mention a new firmware (0009) came out that boosted performance for the drive too! they've been going on sale lately, i picked mines up for 160$ U.S on slickdeals.

I noticed you are also getting the i5 2500? Spend a about 20$ more and go for the i5 2500k, so you can overclock (so very easy) to get much added free performance.

How about the OCZ Agility 3 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 Sandforce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive ?
It is 160$ and has read speeds upwards of 500 Mbps
As for the CPU, I will buy the 2500k. what else do i need for the overclock?
would the overclock void my warranty? Would i have high tempreature problems?

As for the power supply unit, between corsair, ocz and cooler master which one would you recommend?
Old September 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the agility 3 is fine, you'll need an aftermark HSF, i suggest a coolermaster 212+ if you're on a budget, high temps for sandy bridge would be about 60? I'm not 100% sure. It will not void your warranty, the whole reason intel released the 2500k is so you can overclock. And out of those 3, corsair is the best.
Old September 8, 2011, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
the agility 3 is fine, you'll need an aftermark HSF, i suggest a coolermaster 212+ if you're on a budget, high temps for sandy bridge would be about 60? I'm not 100% sure. It will not void your warranty, the whole reason intel released the 2500k is so you can overclock. And out of those 3, corsair is the best.
Thanks!
If i decide to go with water cooling, would you have any recommendations?
Old September 8, 2011, 03:57 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Don't need aftermarket cooler if you are not OCing, (OP lists i5 2500, not the i5 2500k)

Personally, I would skip the SSD, get the Black instead of Green, make sure you can use SATA 3 on it. Then spend the savings on a better GPU. That more than load times, will make gaming better.
Old September 8, 2011, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Is that 42" LCD a TV? If it isn't, oh my lord! You might want to go with a HD 6950 or 6970 since they seem to deal with higher resolutions better. But you do have a GTX 550 Ti listed, so I don't know if your budget could handle a $280-$350 GPU like that.

Last edited by averageScrub; September 8, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typoez ftw
Old September 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageScrub View Post
Is that 42" LCD a TV? If it isn't, oh my lord! You might want to go with a HD 6950 or 6970 since they seem to deal with higher resolutions better. But you do have a GTX 550 Ti listed, so I don't know if your budget could handle a $280-$350 GPU like that.
It is a 42" LCD TV. The GPU budget will really depend on wether or not I get an SSD
Old September 8, 2011, 05:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Would I be needing a fan controller?\
If yes are there any specific models to go for?