Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2011, 05:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

You could probably skip getting the ssd and be happy with the boot and load speeds of your system. A fan controller is only required if you want to be able to manually control the fan speeds and keep fan noise to a minimum. If you don't want a fan controller the motherboard you picked out has 4 fan headers on it: 1 x cpu fan (4 pin), 1 x 3 pwr fan (3 pin) and 2 x chassis fan (4 pin). I believe the fan speeds of fans connected to the motherboard can be controlled through the UEFI. More fans than what you have headers for then those fans get hooked directly to the psu and their is no way to control those speeds. The NZXT Mesh looks good with the HAF case fronts.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 8, 2011, 07:01 PM
Rookie

OC'ing ALWAYS voids warranty. Be it "k" versions of Intel Core i's or AMD 'black" edition chips.

The stock CPU cooler is NOT good for any kind of OC'ing. Even a cheap $15 aftermarket one will do wonders for the lifespan of the chip and the level of sound.
For a quieter case and alot of OC'ing headroom go with a Corsair H60. $70 is a bit high if you don't OC, but will extend the life of your chip and dramatically reduce fan noise.

All of Corsair's PSU's are well built and deliver quiet clean power. i love when people flame about the "builder Series" sucking because it's rated at 30C... Yeah, when the intake temperature is above 30C it MAY lose efficiency... where do people have their computers? greenhouses? And as reviewed it still gives full wattage at 50C.

I'd drop the SSD unless you really need the 2-5 sec's per load it will save you.

the 550 Ti is overpriced for being an entry level gaming card. Spend a few dollars for the GTX 560. Get an Asus, MSI or Gigabyte model with a non-reference cooler. Again, saves on case noise and increases card life for a small premium. My choice would be the Asus GTX560 DCII Asus ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Chipset (850Mhz) 1GB (4200Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI-I/Mini HDMI Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

The cooling shroud is actually aluminum to aid in heat dispersion and it has TONNES of OC'ing potential
(note: the Asus GTX560 DC does NOT OC nearly as well)
(note: the DC TOP is the same as the DCII... just factory OC'ed higher)

averageScrub is slightly misinformed. The larger screen format does not equal higher resolution. 1920x1080 is 1080p.
Old September 8, 2011, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarnianq View Post
OC'ing ALWAYS voids warranty. Be it "k" versions of Intel Core i's or AMD 'black" edition chips.

The stock CPU cooler is NOT good for any kind of OC'ing. Even a cheap $15 aftermarket one will do wonders for the lifespan of the chip and the level of sound.
For a quieter case and alot of OC'ing headroom go with a Corsair H60. $70 is a bit high if you don't OC, but will extend the life of your chip and dramatically reduce fan noise.

All of Corsair's PSU's are well built and deliver quiet clean power. i love when people flame about the "builder Series" sucking because it's rated at 30C... Yeah, when the intake temperature is above 30C it MAY lose efficiency... where do people have their computers? greenhouses? And as reviewed it still gives full wattage at 50C.

I'd drop the SSD unless you really need the 2-5 sec's per load it will save you.

the 550 Ti is overpriced for being an entry level gaming card. Spend a few dollars for the GTX 560. Get an Asus, MSI or Gigabyte model with a non-reference cooler. Again, saves on case noise and increases card life for a small premium. My choice would be the Asus GTX560 DCII Asus ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Chipset (850Mhz) 1GB (4200Mhz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI-I/Mini HDMI Display PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card | Canada Computers

The cooling shroud is actually aluminum to aid in heat dispersion and it has TONNES of OC'ing potential
(note: the Asus GTX560 DC does NOT OC nearly as well)
(note: the DC TOP is the same as the DCII... just factory OC'ed higher)

averageScrub is slightly misinformed. The larger screen format does not equal higher resolution. 1920x1080 is 1080p.
Thanks for the advice.
I have a question though.

Im trying to compare the 550 vs 560.
The 550TI, ramdac, shade clock , processor all seem to have the same frequency. Only difference is the bus width. So is it the bus width that's making all the difference? I'm just trying to understand where the difference in performance comes from