Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2011, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Default Retrofitting existing system - High End, Long Existence

Hello everyone,

Need your advice.

I'm currently running a stock Acer system (Aspire M5400) with a CPU/GPU/RAM that for now "do the job".

However, I'm getting frustrated by the poor case (terrible heat distribution, see common high-heat build up here) and the lack of fan headers on the motherboard. (I'm also thirsty for a project...)

Taking the above into account, in addition to the fact that I will be wanting to upgrade to the AMD Bulldozer in 6 months time, I've decided to get a reliable case and a motherboard that will last me a while. Since I'd like to keep the CPU, GPU and RAM for the time being, I'm looking for something that will support my Phenom II X6 1036 (AM3) processor.

Currently I'm looking at the Asus Crosshair V mobos, mainly because they'll give me the freedom of SLI/Crossfire in the future and AM3+ & AM3 compatibility (for my current AM3 processor and the future AM3+ AMDs). However I'm not sure which one of these to choose. There are various Crossfire mobos that vary in price by $120 -- I'm not sure of the reasons. I'm also considering the Sabertooth line but really only for the reasonable price and the apparently ubiquitous thermocouples around the mobo.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited by alexgm; September 5, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The first one. The 2nd one is an open box return of the 1st one, and the 3rd one has Thunderbolt which is Apple's new version of USB/Firewire type connections.

The Sabertooth would do fine as well.

You realize that all items linked are from Newegg's US site, not newegg.ca?
Old September 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
The first one. The 2nd one is an open box return of the 1st one, and the 3rd one has Thunderbolt which is Apple's new version of USB/Firewire type connections.

The Sabertooth would do fine as well.

You realize that all items linked are from Newegg's US site, not newegg.ca?
Good call. Turns out there's no Sabertooth on the Canadian website compatible with AM3+.

Could anyone suggest a motherboard for my purpose that will be closer to the $200 mark? I'm willing to pay for the Crosshair, but only if it's the most reasonable choice. Again I'm looking for something will support AM3+ and has "plenty" fan headers, but excessive overclocking potential (as in the Crosshair) isn't really necessary.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ DDR3 4PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 SLI CrossFireX USB3.0 GBLAN Motherboard - ASUS - SABERTOOTH 990FX - in Canada

Use shopbot.ca, you might find it cheaper.

Edit: It's on newegg.ca too, Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Old September 5, 2011, 10:12 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default ASUS M5A99X Evo

I have very recently upgraded (out of necessity) my motherboard to a ASUS M5A99X Evo, and have been very happy. Did my research, and basically I could not justify getting a Crosshair V (though a nice board) for my needs.

Based on customer reviews, it was the most reliable (at the time of purchase) since it had the highest ratings at a number of sites, i.e. NCIX, Newegg - Neweggs "Best Rating" sorting is not accurate as it sorts by the most reviews and not by the highest percentage; unless you have a 100% and only then you are at the top, product wise.

The board is currently on sale and meets all your needs:

1. (5) fan headers, (2) are 4-pin
2. SLi/CrossFire (at 8x) at a minimal penalty compared to (16x)
3. Under 150 CAD

EDIT: AMD Phenom II 1036? Is that a typo, maybe a 1035T perhaps? Never mind I am blind, 1035T.

EDIT 2: What do you mean, that there are no Sabertooth boards compatible with AM3+ on Canadian websites?

Last edited by EmptyMellon; September 5, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old September 5, 2011, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i'm using a coolermaster 912 HAF
i added in 2 x 200 mm fans as well

keeps everything cool. hard-drives run at over 10 C, cooler than my old case
i can't break 50 C with my phenom II x4 955. with a 212+ cooler on it

course depends on what size case you want
Old September 6, 2011, 05:48 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
What do you mean, that there are no Sabertooth boards compatible with AM3+ on Canadian websites?
Well I had a look at NewEgg and couldn't find anything. Perhaps another vendor carries it.

I think I rather get the Sabertooth than the ASUS M5A99X Evo, don't you think? Not much of a price difference.
Old September 6, 2011, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

it was posted above, its 50.00 over the EVO board

Newegg.ca - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

heres the full list of asus boards that support am3+

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware, ASUS, AMD Motherboards, AM3+

comparison of the 2 boards

Newegg.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

the saber has another pci-e 16x slot
and can run the slots at a faster speed than the evo can

but as reviews have shown. only 4x speed shows any real slow down on modern video cards
the evo can run both slots at 8x when in x-fire / sli

so i don't see any issues there
Old September 6, 2011, 11:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for the HAF 912. Decent budget case, lots of room in it as well. Some people have issues with its appearance though (I am not one of them)
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 6, 2011, 01:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
the saber has another pci-e 16x slot
and can run the slots at a faster speed than the evo can

but as reviews have shown. only 4x speed shows any real slow down on modern video cards
the evo can run both slots at 8x when in x-fire / sli
Hmm.. so it's one of these 3. Can I have a vote?

[A] Crosshair $230 (love the capability, lots of novelties)
[B] Sabertooth $200 (terrible color... "military" grade I think is in large part a gimmick that's unnecessary)
[C] Evo M5A99X $162 (cost+ship) (afraid it will be a mid-level card by mid-next year)