Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2011, 10:46 PM
Rookie

Default In need of help for new gaming rig

hi guys, im in need of some help here. i have been out of the pc world for nearly 1-1/2 years because i succumbed to the wife who wanted a mac(i'm a gamer so you can imagine how much that sucked) and the other reason was i didn't have the budget since i got a new baby girl and so on, alas all this to say i am in the market for a new gaming rig but for the first time in my life, i am on a budget. i would like to stay between 1000-1200, maybe stretch it to $1300

my main purpose for a pc is for gaming, in particular, Battlefield 3, The Old Republic(coming soon) i hope!!

i want to stick with intel and nvidia, just because i am more familiar with them and have always been a fan
i want to stick with the i7 but i am quite confused with the 960 & 2600k what is best for my $$
should i SLI the nvidia 460 gtx or get the 590?
i do want an ssd & HDD(for the sdd what is recommended 60-80gb??)
min 8gb of ram ddr3

what i need is help for building my rig, and also if i am being reasonable with what i want\need? i am open to the option of overclocking(although i am not very farmiliar with it) and also doing the SLI later on when prices drop, but i dont want to have to upgrade and spend money every year, i would like to be able to be stable for at least 2 years or more.

if anyone can help and decipher everything i have written at nearly 2am, i would be greatly appreciate it

thank you all for your comments and help
cheers!
Old September 2, 2011, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Save $100 and go with 2500K.
Old September 3, 2011, 01:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

+1 on the 2500K, don't even look towards a 1366 build since they're a bit outdated (and still expensive).
About the video card, one 590 will smash two 460's, but costs as 4 460's... go for it if you can afford it, but if not - get a 570.
Take a z68 mobo like the Gigabyte UD4, and add a60 gig SSD for caching.

Hmm something like that:

CPU: NCIX.com - Buy Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB - Intel - BX80623I52500K - in Canada - 239$

Videocard: NCIX.com - Buy MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr II OC GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB 3.8GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI Video Card - MSI/MicroStar - N570GTX Twin Frozr II/OC - in Canada - 359$

Mobo: NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - Gigabyte - GA-Z68XP-UD4 - in Canada - 206$

RAM: NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory - G.Skill - F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - in Canada - 50$

Case: NCIX.com - Buy Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound - COOLERMASTER - RC-912-KKN1 - in Canada - 59$

PSU: NCIX.com - Buy Seasonic X760 Gold ATX 12V 24PIN 750W Active PFC 80PLUS Gold Modular SLI Ready Power Supply - Seasonic Electronics - X-760 Gold - in Canada - 199$ (thats what you'll need for a590 or single gpu's in SLI/ CF)

SSD: NCIX.com - Buy Kingston SSDNow V100 Series 64GB 2.5IN SSD SATA Solid State Disk Flash Drive - Kingston - SV100S2/64GZ - in Canada - 109$

That stacks up at 1221$ BEFORE mail rebates. Throw in a good CPU cooler later (or now if the $$ allows)

Good luck and we'd love to see some pics! :)
Old September 3, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Use some shopping search engines to pricematch at NCIX and you could easily have the above build for $200 less. (shopbot, pricebat, pricecanada, CP, etc.) Add a decent aftermarket cooler and overclock and it'll handle pretty much any game out there at fairly high settings.

But I would personally get a slightly lower wattage PSU and spend the money on a GTX 580. SLI/Crossfire are for hardcore system builders looking to squeeze out extra performance, it's honestly the worst way to try and save money with the potential issues you could run into. Then if you have a lot of budget space leftover, get a good case that will last you through multiple builds to reduce future upgrade costs.
Old September 3, 2011, 10:10 AM
Rookie

I run a GTX 460 SLI setup and am very happy with the results... if you check out benchmarks you will see it's close to the 580 and beats the 570 for sure.

HARDOCP - Introduction - Performance - GeForce GTX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 460 1GB SLI
Old September 3, 2011, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Go for 2500k (as others said...1366 based CPU are old tech now and 2600/2600k is a waste unless you do heavily threaded tasks). For graphics go for a fast single card and not SLI (I would say 570/580 with your budget). IMO SLI is a good way to get more performance down the road if required, but I would not plan to SLI with a new build (just save the chance of any headaches or games that are poorly optimized).
Old September 3, 2011, 02:00 PM
Rookie

thanks for all the advice guys.. so far, i am going to go with your advice and use the i5 2500k, and the 580.

i have been noticing that ram is quite inexpensive so i would have room to up the ram to 12gb, is it even worth it for this type of rig?
i noticed a price diff between ssd 40gb and 60gb... is it really needed to go this high just for windows 7 and core programs?

i will be getting a 1TB HDD

now i am having difficulties with the mobo.

The case. i don't plan on having watercooling, but i do plan on having as many fans as possible... also quick question, i have been reading a bit of controversies about blowing the air out and sucking it in... what are you suggestions on this?

the PSU i was thinking of spending more money on a 850w just for future rigs (thoughts-comments?)
Old September 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would say you need 60gb as an absolute minimum, and you would never fill it to it's absolute capacity to ensure that it stays healthy with garbage collection (probably need to save ~10-15% empty space).

I run a 60gb SSD just for Win7 and a few programs that get used a lot like Word, Web Browser, League of Legends and a couple other apps. The difference is in load times is immense when compared to a standard drive. In actuallity the 60gb turns out to be 55.9 gb drive. This is keeping in mind that i still have 30gb free. If you do decide to load your entire OS onto the SSD, then SSD caching is more or less pointless (as in my case) but sticking with the Z68 platform can't hurt either. Having other programs and media files on standard drives is the way to go.

I would also say that if you had the budget, you could easily do 16gb of RAM, but 8gb is also plenty.

As for airflow: Intakes are in the front, bottom and side (for your GPU) and exhaust is top and rear fans. Of course adding a fan controller helps in fine tuning noise/performance (you could just take the $$ for the 12gb of ram go with 8gb and get a fan controller). Personally, I use my fan controller all the time and would never build a rig without one now. It's like living in the dark ages.

Have you picked out a CPU heatsink? I threw my stock one in the garbage as soon as I opened the package on my 2500k.
Old September 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
As for airflow: Intakes are in the front, bottom and side (for your GPU) and exhaust is top and rear fans.
Agreed...not sure what the controversies are you are talking about though. The only argument I know of is positive vs negative a pressure. More fans going in should help with dust problems (positive pressure), but some say more going out will give better temps (negative pressure). I have nothing to back either up, but always keep things relatively balanced. Other than that I think it is generally agreed that side fans kind of mess up the airflow in a case and can negatively affect temps on CPU, MOB, HDD a bit, but it can drastically drop hot GPU temps.

IMO anything more than 8gb of RAM is pointless unless you use some random programs that are insane memory hogs (I am sure those programs are important to someone, but I have no idea what they are and don't use anywhere near that amount of ram...have yet to go more than a touch over 3gb used at any one time).
Old September 3, 2011, 09:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I run a 60gb SSD just for Win7 and a few programs that get used a lot like Word, Web Browser, League of Legends and a couple other apps. The difference is in load times is immense when compared to a standard drive. In actuallity the 60gb turns out to be 55.9 gb drive. This is keeping in mind that i still have 30gb free. If you do decide to load your entire OS onto the SSD, then SSD caching is more or less pointless (as in my case) but sticking with the Z68 platform can't hurt either. Having other programs and media files on standard drives is the way to go.
i think i may have misunderstood the use of the SSD. i was reading somewhere that they only connected the SSD while installing windows 7 and downloading the service packs, and then they connected the HDD. because if they didn't, they found the OS to go on both drives(don't quote me exactly on them) as i'm not sure what they found from the OS on the HDD... and you are mentioning the caching is pointless if the os is only on the SSD why?

so should i put the most used games also on the ssd also? sorry for all the noobie questions, ssd is new to me

oh and as for the heatsink, i keep seeing the Coolermaster Hyper 212. but i'm unsure about the ease of use to install it. shouldn't be to much trouble with the instructions and if need be the help of google.

Last edited by Profion; September 3, 2011 at 10:07 PM.