Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profion View Post
i think i may have misunderstood the use of the SSD. i was reading somewhere that they only connected the SSD while installing windows 7 and downloading the service packs, and then they connected the HDD. because if they didn't, they found the OS to go on both drives(don't quote me exactly on them) as i'm not sure what they found from the OS on the HDD... and you are mentioning the caching is pointless if the os is only on the SSD why?

so should i put the most used games also on the ssd also? sorry for all the noobie questions, ssd is new to me
Just get the z68 board, enable Intel SRT and just be done with it. There's a quick guide on it somewhere on the forums here. Honestly no point in going with the "old" way of using an ssd when you have SRT available. Unless you have deep pockets and plan on abusively using several ssd's.
Old September 4, 2011, 12:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've always done the install with all my drives in, never had a problem with windows installing on multiple drives.

If you went full Windows install on SSD then your windows would boot quickly. If you went SRT, it would only store the most accessed files on the SSD and the rest on the HDD. I suppose if you wanted the 'best of both worlds' you could do SRT and then it would put whatever files you used most on the SSD for quicker reads.

That being said, I'm more in favour of full Win7 install on SSD along with maybe 1 or 2 games that I play a lot. The rest can run off my other drive.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only time I've seen Windows "leak" into multiple drives is if you have multiple drives that already have Windows installed on them. What happens is the Windows installer may detect the alternate installs and try to put the bootloader on one of the drives that already has Windows on it (which isn't necessarily the drive you want to boot with).
I also install Windows with all drives installed, but I always make sure that Windows goes on the drive attached to my lowest numbered SATA port, or the port that I designated in BIOS to be the boot drive.
Old September 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
Rookie

hey guys, quick question about the mobo, i always had asus and trusted them, any suggestions which one i should get and what is the most important thing i should know about the motherboard?, or keep in mind when choosing it??
i am getting the intel i5 2500k
i actually am still undecided between the 560-570-580. if i go 580 i will be getting the evga, but the 560-570 has bearly a 2-300$ difference in the price point.
will the 560 570 be powerful enough to run SW:TOR and bf3 in high graphix or will i have to compromise alot on the graphix?

Last edited by Profion; September 4, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old September 4, 2011, 02:16 PM
Rookie

sorry i keep posting.. the psu, i am hitting corsair but i noticed there is corsair pro gold and HX series... any reccomendations? its the same price for the 850w, 199$
Old September 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Go with the Pro Gold series, more efficient meaning uses less juice from the wall.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 4, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Go with the Pro Gold series, more efficient meaning uses less juice from the wall.
And less noise since it isnt always spinning up the fan.

Another +1 for the Pro gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 4, 2011, 05:10 PM
Rookie

ok, so please let me know if this is good or not. this is my set up so far

ASUS P8P67 Pro REV3.0 ATX P67 LGA1155 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard 189.96

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB - 238.98

Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 CMPSU-850AX 850W ATX Fully Modular 80PLUS Gold Power Supply - 174.99$
Weekly Special
Save $25.00 off our regular price of $199.99
EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card - $330.68
$15.00 Mail In Rebate!

Corsair Force Series 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD Sandforce - $109.82

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM - $59.98

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM - $29.98

Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case Black 4X5.25EXT 6X3.5INT Front Audio USB *No PS* - $89.98

at this point i am tallied a price point of $1224.37, i don't have a kb/mouse/monitor, or the OS included in this.

any suggestions in anything i am getting, or i could slash the price on, such as on the case and what ever else. and if i forgot something, please let me know

also any suggestions on a monitor.

thanks guys for all of your help!!!
Old September 6, 2011, 11:04 PM
Rookie

hey guys, i can't seem to find anything under 1500$ before taxed on any gamin rig because i need to add the OS, monitor & kb/mouse(left handed).

am i being unreasonable with my price point and find a way to upgrade my budget or am i being to ambitious on what i want vs need?

it is nearly discouraging.

i would really appreciate you guys help here.

thanks!
Old September 6, 2011, 11:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Forget the SSD until a later date. Change the 570 to a 560 ti. And pick a cheaper PSU, like the Corsair TX750 V2.