Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   My new build, feel obliged to help! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/46155-my-new-build-feel-obliged-help.html)

southbay September 2, 2011 08:50 AM

My new build, feel obliged to help!

Ugh thread deleted itself, >.<
So yeah I plan on using Novatech only as I personally love the speed of delivery and the packaging.
I'm basically set but if you do have suggestions I'll take them into account.
I'm an Amd Fan-boy as you'll see.

I'm going to use my monitors I have currently, my optical drive, my hdd's and my other peripherals so no worries!

Feel free to leave suggestions, would be much appreciated!
If you're curious I'm only 15 so any experienced advice is also appreciated.
P.S - When I was 8, I overclocked an old intelchip to it's limit and yeah it sort of exploded...
Yeah I have £860 budget(I have a job, I'm not rich)

For some reason I can't post my links...
Here's an image instead:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/p...08/pcbuild.png

Kommie986 September 2, 2011 10:13 AM

Since XFX doesn't offer lifetime warranty in the UK, I'd go with the reference design 6950 (Novatech AMD Radeon HD 6950 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe), since it's completely external exhaust (the XFX one is half internal). Also, I heard the Crucial M4 SSDs are quite good (Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5inch SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - Retail). Also, I read reviews that say the OCZ SSDs have a tendency to die (YMMV, as I do not have personal experience). I'm not an expert with RAM, but I thought default 990FX voltage was 1.5?

southbay September 2, 2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommie986 (Post 546241)
Since XFX doesn't offer lifetime warranty in the UK, I'd go with the reference design 6950 (Novatech AMD Radeon HD 6950 2048MB GDDR5 PCIe), since it's completely external exhaust (the XFX one is half internal). Also, I heard the Crucial M4 SSDs are quite good (Crucial RealSSD M4 64GB 2.5inch SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - Retail). Also, I read reviews that say the OCZ SSDs have a tendency to die (YMMV, as I do not have personal experience). I'm not an expert with RAM, but I thought default 990FX voltage was 1.5?

I'm not really bothered about life time warrentys as such. I'm never annoyed about upgrading or replacing as 95% of the time it's my problem. I also don't trust Novatech's graphics cards. I'd much rather pay an extra £15 for an XFX card than £15 less for a novatech.
I have also read up about this. My friend has an OCZ Vertex but he hasn't had any problems for the past 6 months. I am interested by crucial so I'll have a look into that! £7 extra for 4 more gigabytes? Hmm :P
This is a 990x, I've used it before with 1.3v ram and it works. I've also checked the website so I'm pretty set that it'll work fine!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: That Crucial SSD only writes and reads at 415mb/s sequentially >.<

Kilauea September 2, 2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbay (Post 546245)
I also don't trust Novatech's graphics cards.

I know nothing about Novatech, but if you don't trust their GPU, I'd stay very far from their PSUs. For the most part, the GPU is just an AMD card with a Novatech sticker on it. The PSU, well its the heart of your system. Its a part you should not go cheap on. I'd personally go with Corsair, Antec or Seasonic and based on your system, the prices, I'd go more for the Corsair CX 600W, Corsair TX 650W, Antec 620W.

southbay September 2, 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilauea (Post 546284)
I know nothing about Novatech, but if you don't trust their GPU, I'd stay very far from their PSUs. For the most part, the GPU is just an AMD card with a Novatech sticker on it. The PSU, well its the heart of your system. Its a part you should not go cheap on. I'd personally go with Corsair, Antec or Seasonic and based on your system, the prices, I'd go more for the Corsair CX 600W, Corsair TX 650W, Antec 620W.

When I go CF the 600w psu's won't take the load.
The power supplies are very reliable considering I've been running the same 500w for a few years now, they're well built so I have faith! I wouldn't expect to encounter issues, plus it's an easily replaceable product :)

Kilauea September 2, 2011 12:54 PM

A PSU may be very easily replaceable, but usually when it goes down, it doesn't go down alone. Once more, if you do not trust their GPUs, then their PSUs should be even less trusted.

Novatech has a 2 year warranty compare this to a Corsair TX 650 which is 5 years. Sometimes, its not just about the quantity (number of watts), but the quality of the components, the number of watts on the 12v rail. I will say it one last time, do not go cheap on the PSU, if you need 750W, go for it, but with a reliable company, not one you do not trust for their GPU.

BVickery September 2, 2011 03:07 PM

Got to agree with Kil.

When my PSU went it took my case, MB and RAM with it.

After reading up some, seems that jonhnyGuru found out that Sirfa are the ones that make the Novatechs. Also, Sirfa are the builder behind the OCZ PSUs

supaflyx3 September 2, 2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbay (Post 546245)
I'm not really bothered about life time warrentys as such. I'm never annoyed about upgrading or replacing as 95% of the time it's my problem. I also don't trust Novatech's graphics cards. I'd much rather pay an extra £15 for an XFX card than £15 less for a novatech.
I have also read up about this. My friend has an OCZ Vertex but he hasn't had any problems for the past 6 months. I am interested by crucial so I'll have a look into that! £7 extra for 4 more gigabytes? Hmm :P
This is a 990x, I've used it before with 1.3v ram and it works. I've also checked the website so I'm pretty set that it'll work fine!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Edit: That Crucial SSD only writes and reads at 415mb/s sequentially >.<

sequential reads and writes have nothing to do with the SSDs speeds really, the 4K random reads and writes does.

NI3 September 2, 2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVickery (Post 546314)
Got to agree with Kil.

When my PSU went it took my case, MB and RAM with it.

After reading up some, seems that jonhnyGuru found out that Sirfa are the ones that make the Novatechs. Also, Sirfa are the builder behind the OCZ PSUs

Going on that info, I personally prefer to stay away from it. I would say they are on the same level as OCZ (obviously), Coolermaster and low end Thermaltake. Sure they work, sure they arent complete crap (and are somewhat OK), but they are not what you want to be powering your £1000 rig. Had you said "I want to power my 3850s and my Phenom 9850" I would have said go ahead and use it. In this case though, you are looking at power some hardware that is pretty good, and not something you want to have to buy again.

So I say go with the top brand PSUs, such as Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX (rebranded seasonic I believe), ETC.

Corsair TX 750W ATX2.31 80 PLUS® Bronze certified Power Supply

Buy a cheaper case if you must, but that is a way better psu in my opinion.

Edit: WAIT, hold on...

you are spending double on your case than you are on the psu......

Other way around dude.. case should be one of the lowest costs, apart from maybe the RAM or HDD, on a strict budget build. Look at the CM 912, or better yet the Antec 300

Antec Three Hundred Case - Black - No Psu

southbay September 3, 2011 12:35 AM

I'm never going to buy an antec case. I'm all about aesthetics.
I'll look into spending a bit more in my power supply but as I'm only 15 it's really hard to make money on £3.64 an hour >.<
It really needs to be modular...
If worst comes to worst I'll buy the Corsair 750w Modular version for double the price.
I'm not much of a fan of coolermaster cases as I don't like the design.
I'll just buy the corsair 750w then. I know I wouldn't have any problems with the novatech one but at least I won't have to worry.

Edit: I decided to opt for the Fractal Design XL, £25 cheaper for what I'm wanting