Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2011, 08:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

buy a smaller ssd for windows and important applications, and games, you can install them on a 2ndary drive. The raptor is a good drive, but that is old school, i have one of those. SSD is way better. Here is a ssd that someone is selling in bst here and its brand new:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ller-card.html

Dont buy the raptor!
Old September 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will second the "Don't buy the raptor"

SSD will give you the most noticeable gain, even if its only a 60gb. When you go back to standard drives, you'll cringe and wonder how you ever lived.

NCIX has 120gb Corsair SSD refurbs for sale for 150. I think you may even be able to find it cheaper at one of NCIX's sister stores too. My brother is running one of these refurbs without a hitch.

NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Force Series 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD Sandforce Refurb *30 Day Warranty - Corsair - CSSD-F120GB2/RF2 - in Canada
Old September 2, 2011, 11:33 PM
Rookie

I ended going with a cheap 1tb hard drive until i find a good deal on an SSD, in the meantime ordered everything else, looking forward to putting it together.

Anyone have any idea what speeds are achievable with the i5 2500k and the hyper 212 plus cooler?
Old September 6, 2011, 11:55 PM
Rookie

This is the build so far, thanks for the suggestions guys, because of you I ended up going with the 212 heatsink with matching push and pull fans :)

Only one 6870 for now, will be going crossfire if the one cant handle arma 2 on its own.

I will not be running a case, its going to be mounted on shelving with the video cables running out the wall to the desk and bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I am thinking of SSD's now, I noticed that people are reporting high failure rates with the sandforce drives?

I would like to get two 60gb ssd's and run them in raid, would the onboard motherboard raid controller be good enough for this?

I appreciate all the help so far!