Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2011, 03:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

"What are you idle and load temps accross the cores?"

I have it in a stock HAF 912 (meaning a front intake 120mm fan and a rear output 120mm fan, with holes on top and side with no fans, but room for them)

My temps atm: 28, 32, 34 and 32 C. I've run Prime95 for about 5 min a few times, temps got up to low 70's. Usually when I play Starcraft 2 (don't have any other recent games worth mentioning) the core temps get to low-mid 50's (graphics card gets to about 70).

Going on that, I think the stock fan would be good for mild overclocking on the i5 2500k.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
MVP

My System Specs

So I put it all together yesterday night and it blew me away!
My temps are slightly high, idles in the low 40s, but I think I messed up with the thermal paste. I don't think... I know I messed up with the thermal paste. So tonight I'll probably reseat the cooler. I might hold off on that though... It peaked at 61celcius while gaming, so temperatures are not really a huge concern right now.

I'm not getting more FPS, but the average CPU usage dropped by 30% in BFBC2.
In short... it doesn't struggle when alot of stuff is happening at the same time(frags, explosions, building falling appart and so on)
For some stupid reason... I can now jump fences I couldn't jump before? I don't quite get that one yet.

If anyone still wonder if they should make the move... DO IT!
Old September 2, 2011, 10:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just got a Titan Fenrir from "Your_firendly_gamer" so I'll shove that thing on tonight.
I kept reading here and there that some heatsink were big. I would have never imagined big meant that big! My previous Freezer pro would look like a midget if they were side by side.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
So I put it all together yesterday night and it blew me away!
My temps are slightly high, idles in the low 40s, but I think I messed up with the thermal paste. I don't think... I know I messed up with the thermal paste. So tonight I'll probably reseat the cooler. I might hold off on that though... It peaked at 61celcius while gaming, so temperatures are not really a huge concern right now.

I'm not getting more FPS, but the average CPU usage dropped by 30% in BFBC2.
In short... it doesn't struggle when alot of stuff is happening at the same time(frags, explosions, building falling appart and so on)
For some stupid reason... I can now jump fences I couldn't jump before? I don't quite get that one yet.

If anyone still wonder if they should make the move... DO IT!
I screwed up on the thermal paste as well. My idle temps were in the 40-45c range. Picked up some paste, read a way to install it, installed it. Fired up the comp and now the idle temps are about 25-30C (and I live in FL were my ambient temp is in the 80s w/ AC going).

The method I followed was here: Vertical Line method

I see you getting great results with properly installed thermal paste w/ that cooler.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVickery View Post
Picked up some paste, read a way to install it, installed it.
I did that a while ago...
But yesterday night... lol...
I got this MX4 paste that been sitting still for a few months... so mistake #1.
- When I pushed the stuff out, only oil came out... but I kept going without whipping the oil residue first.

Mistake #2
I wanted to see if my 775 cooler would fit nicely on the 1155 bolt pattern. So put the clean 775 cooler on there. It didn't fit properly so I removed it. I didn't re-paste the cpu.

Mistake #3
I put the stock 1155 cooler on... without removing the factory paste from it.

So hmm... yeah. Considering all that... I think I'm getting decent temps for the moment
Don't flame... I couldn't wait to see it running and I was willing to risk having to take everything appart to repaste.