Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2011, 07:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bradler View Post
Wow NCIX has to be one of the worst organized sites on the internet.

NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black - COOLERMASTER - RC-932-KKN5-GP - in Canada
NCIX.com - Buy Cooler Master Haf 932 Advanced Full Tower EATX Case 7X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT USB3.0 eSATA 1394 Black - COOLERMASTER - RC-932-KKN5-GP - in Canada

it's the exact same case on sale for two different amounts, and you still access the link to pay full price. this is the first link that comes up if you search for the case

it's not exactly price match if the Ram is way slower.

that's a totally different motherboard.

not buying a green drive or a 5200rpm drive. would rather black drives which cost even more.

Getting one 580GTX... I'm having trouble being nice. But that's a down right terrible idea. look at that chart, one 580GTX costs the same and it performs so much worse. upgrading later for what reason? it's a 2400$ build, I understand that for 2800$ I could get a faster PC but for 2400$ one 580GTX is a terrible investment.

SP could perform worse than MP. scripted events can drive down the minimums. I'm just going off my experience in contrast to the numbers they post. I think the numbers are great for comparing different cards but terrible for gauging expectations of your own performence. it tells me one card is faster than other and by how much but it doesn't tell me what kinda FPS I will get on a totally different rig.

My one GTX460 does much better than their graphs would imply it should so I'm just going off the assumption that the 560 ti should perform as much better as my own experience is in relation to their graphs.

Do appreciate the input and help but I'm still haven't heard anything convincing.
Whats the benefit to 2133mhz ram? I don't see how it's worth the extra cash. As for hard drives, if you have an SSD for OS/Games what do you need that little bit of extra speed for? If you need it, go for it. I say get 2 570s or 580s in SLI. Why would you cheap out on the most important component in a 3D rig? You need double the power for this. Sure 2 560s may be more economical on paper, but he's not going to be satisfied with that come game release in october. 570SLI or 580SLI at a minimum, I say one 580 now to start if he can't fork up the extra cash.

This build is for 3D. 3D is not cheap to do and I think going a bit overkill is wise as we don't really know what to expect from BF3 in terms of requirements/performance. That was another reason why I suggest going 1x580 in the meantime. As far as the graphs relative to your performance goes, a lot of these reviews are done around or not too long after launch. Drivers still have a while to improve so that may explain some of the discrepancies.

Basically my suggestion is that since you need to play what could very well be one of the most demanding games this year, in 3D, at 120fps, you should have an absurd amount of GPU horsepower backing it. I think for $380 after MIR for a 580 you're not getting a bad bang/buck ratio compared to a 560 either.

Most important thing, PRICEMATCH! Use shopbot.ca to look up parts. Typically bestdirect.ca, directcanada.com and newegg have the best prices to match.
Old August 26, 2011, 07:46 AM
da_bradler

good idea on the price matching monitor, saves a bunch.

Umm is SSD caching going to improve game load times?
Old August 26, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

quite a bit, yes.
Old August 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Depends on how often he plays it and how much he uses other apps on the rig. In general...yes it probably will be faster than loading it off a HDD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 26, 2011, 08:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

there is no benefit to faster ram

its less than 1% difference in FPS

the bottle neck for FPS is NOT in the ram

AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3

The Best Memory for Sandy Bridge Gaming | bit-tech.net

only 1 review where memory speed started to matter...then again they OC'd the cpu by 1.3 ghz....
DDR3 SDRAM for Sandy Bridge: Choosing the Best Memory for LGA1155 Platform. Page 7 - X-bit labs
Old August 26, 2011, 08:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

SSD Caching WILL speed up OS boot times and the load times of your most-used programs. This comes in handy with games since most will play a game repetitively over a given period of time instead of jumping between 4-5 different games. It is repetitive use like that which makes SSD caching so appealing.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:49 AM
da_bradler

Ok well I've revised things, he let me move the budget up a bit. I'm still not moving over to a Z68 because it's gotta be an MSI board because I want him to have easy overclocking(since he's not bios literate). beyond the SSD caching I can't see any other reason why it's really needed. plus the bundle deal is a good value

Went to a cheaper SSD,

I know I can find a lower price on the cards but they come with "free gifts" and the Mail in rebate so I don't think they'll match them unless those are given up. the coolers on the graphics cards suck though.

I think it might be worth dropping the SSD all together and just running the Operating system off a Raid 0 array of black drives. They are really fast in raid zero in my setup.

thanks fo help
Old August 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
Banned
F@H

go for it and let us know what he thinks of it come this fall ;)
Old August 29, 2011, 01:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

personally, at $180 for an old sata 2 ssd, you might as well get a much faster sata3 ssd.
Old August 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can still save a bit of money on a few of those parts. For example the GPU's you can PM this Buy the MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi 1280MB GDDR5 SLI Ready at TigerDirect.ca to save $10/ea card. Same with the case, windows and a few other things. Looks good.