Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Default Help On My First Real Build

About Me:
I have built myself a new $700ish computer every four years or so for the last 15 years. My current computer is really struggling again so now it’s time for another upgrade. I have always wanted to build a really nice “high-end” computer, and this is the first time I have had the time and funds to try it. I have never liquid cooled, overclocked, done RAID 0, SLI, or anything fancy before; but I have been pouring over this forum for four months or so now trying to understand it all.

What My Computer Will Be Used For:
The games I try and play the most on my computer are: StarCraft 2, Crysis 1 and 2, Half-life 2, and hopefully Diablo 3. My wife spends a lot of time on Photoshop CS5 and I would like to be able to compress blurays, but our current system takes ~19 hours a disk.

The Computer:
I bought a Corsair Obsidian 800D and Corsair AX1200 PSU last week, so I already have those

Motherboard – Asus Maximus IV Extreme - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

Video card – Asus Matrix GTX 580P - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121467

CPU – Intel 2600K - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Memory – Corsair Vengeance 16GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

Cooling – Corsair H100 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

SSD’s – (2) OCZ Vertex 3 MI 120 GB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227714

Other Notes:
I plan to overclock the CPU as much as I can, but it is the only part I plan on overclocking so the H100 should be adequate? I also plan on trying to RAID 0 the two SSD’s using the P67 chipset. My monitor can run at a resolution of 1920x1200, although my current computer cannot reach that.

Any help/info on my build would be greatly appreciated. Since this is a lot more expensive/complicated than anything I have built before I would like to make sure I have everything right before I order it.
Old August 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent choices for parts all the way around. The H100 should provide you lots of overclocking room for your CPU. The only thing I would add is a standard HDD for backup / data purposes. RAID drives can sometimes be finicky, and you wouldn't want to lose your data. Oh, and that Matrix 580 is MEANT for overclocking. So tweak it!
Old August 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
Rookie

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have a 2TB seagate HDD that I will carry over from my last computer.

As far as overclocking the Matrix 580, can you overclock it on its stock cooling, or would I have to buy a waterblock for it? Do you generally get very much more out of it when you overclock it?

Thanks again for the input.
Old August 18, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Looks like a great system to me. I also agree with SJ on adding a storage drive if you are running RAID. It is always a good idea to have somewhere for your important stuff.

EDIT- nevermind I see you have it covered.

Welcome to HWC!
Old August 18, 2011, 01:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK41 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I do have a 2TB seagate HDD that I will carry over from my last computer.

As far as overclocking the Matrix 580, can you overclock it on its stock cooling, or would I have to buy a waterblock for it? Do you generally get very much more out of it when you overclock it?

Thanks again for the input.
SKYMTL was able to get very good results with the stock cooling when he reviewed it. ASUS RoG GTX 580 Matrix Platinum Review
Old August 18, 2011, 02:56 PM
Rookie

I read the review, and probably understood 2/3 of it . It looks like the MSI lighting outperforms the ASUS everytime, and it's the same price on newegg. While the MSI card isn't near as nice looking IMO, would it be the better card to go with, or am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The differences at factory clocks are negligible, around 2-4 FPS per game. If you overclocked the Matrix to 832 Mhz from 816 they'd be identical. They are the same price, almost identical performance, so it's down to looks, temps, sound, and warranty.

They both have 3 year warranties. Under Sky's testing, the MSI had cooler temps, but was louder. It's up to you which is more important. Keep in mind neither of these cards are reference design, so watercooling blocks are not likely to be available thus you'll be keeping the air-cooling on them that comes with them.

Any 580 you chose will make you very happy at 1900x1200. My 570 does great at that resolution.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the help. You talked me back into the matrix again, which is good because it's a much nicer looking card.