Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2011, 09:51 AM
Rookie

Default i7 2600K vs i5 2500K (Almost built)

So my dilemma is a common one, which processor should I buy? I currently have most of the components for my new computer and I am just deciding on the processor before I plug it all in. I'll first start by laying out what parts I have for my computer and what I plan to do with it. After I will explain the way I see both sides of the 2500K/2600K argument based on what I have read. Then if you guys could make any suggestions based on the parts I have currently purchased and my possible uses it would be very helpful.

So to start I will layout the components I have currently purchased. I'll include a link to newegg.ca so that you can see some specs.

Motherboard:
ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 SLI (B3)
Newegg.ca - ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 SLI (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Power Supply:
XFX Core Edition PRO750W
Newegg.ca - XFX Core Edition PRO750W (P1-750S-NLB9) 750W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL

Graphics Card:
GeForce GTX 460 SE Video Card - 1GB
Buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE 1GB GDDR5 PCIe at TigerDirect.ca

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 912
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX
Newegg.ca - Recertified: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

My usage for the computer will mainly be centered around audio recording and editing. I plan to record and edit multi-layer tracks using microphones and VSTs. I plan to use a variety of software including fruity loop and reason. I also plan to use the computer for light to medium gaming and also watching movies.

So far I am aware the the 2600K doesn't make a huge difference when doing things like gaming and watching videos because these application will hardly need a full set of 8 cores. However, my indecision remains routed on the fact that I am unsure the difference I will see in performance with multi track audio endeavors. Currently it seems that most of the programs for audio development wouldn't know what to do with 8 cores but part of me thinks that more cores is going to be the trend for audio production and computing in general. For a while I was leaning towards the 2500K for the cost value benefit ratio but certain things have got me really questioning whether I should just put the money in now for the 2600K. One fear of mine is that hyperthreading may be really important down the line and I will regret not spending the extra $80 to get this feature. The reason I have this fear is partially due to the reason that my old computer did not have hardware virtualization which I now currently need. I am left wondering if hyperthreading would work in a similar way.

So basically that's my condition, torn between the price and the possible regret. Sorry to lay so much information on everyone but I should probably say what exactly I'm thinking so that you guys could help me make a decision that feels right to me. So now I leave it up to you, tell me what you think about each option and what you think you might do if you were using the computer in a similar fashion. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as your concern is future-proofing, if you can afford it I'd spend the extra $80. More cores also helps for video encoding, which you might be doing.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would go for the 2600k for what you are looking for. Even if your applications dont use HT now they may down the road.
Old August 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
Banned
F@H

not a big fan of that se card, also look at giga boards :)

the rest looks good.
Old August 16, 2011, 10:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Check out Buy Computer Parts, Computer Hardware, PC Parts at Best Online Computer Shop - DirectCanada usually cheaper then anyone else!!!!
Old August 16, 2011, 11:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Please oh please spend the extra 80 and get the 2600k. Trust me, you will not regret the extra 80 bucks!!!! The reason is, it's simple, it's 80 dollars which will go a long long way!!!!

You are getting hyperthreading and like others have said, you probably will need it down the road so why not spend the 80 and not regret later.

It's like the quote from Alien vs Predator, "I rather have the gun and not use it, then need to use it and not have a gun" Something like that.

Enjoy your new build!
Old August 17, 2011, 01:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your_friendly_gamer View Post
Please oh please spend the extra 80 and get the 2600k. Trust me, you will not regret the extra 80 bucks!!!! The reason is, it's simple, it's 80 dollars which will go a long long way!!!!

You are getting hyperthreading and like others have said, you probably will need it down the road so why not spend the 80 and not regret later.

It's like the quote from Alien vs Predator, "I rather have the gun and not use it, then need to use it and not have a gun" Something like that.

Enjoy your new build!
Well truly said. :)
Old August 17, 2011, 02:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ok just get 2600
the K has onboard GPU on the cpu

do you really need it ?

honestly just go look at reviews of the i5 vs the i7

in games the difference doesn't matter
some apps like the i7 a little more

thats about it
Old August 17, 2011, 02:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh_ultima View Post
ok just get 2600
the K has onboard GPU on the cpu

do you really need it ?

honestly just go look at reviews of the i5 vs the i7

in games the difference doesn't matter
some apps like the i7 a little more

thats about it
The K has the Intel 3000 IGP reather than the 2000, but the main thing is the unlucked multipaier you get with the K. Worth it IMO.
Old August 17, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well....I am going to go against the last few posts and say go for a 2500k. IF the programs you use do take advantage of hyperthreading, then by all means go for the 2600k, otherwise don't waste the money. It is only going to be faster in programs that can use hyperthreading. Either save the extra cash, or put it toward an SSD that WILL make a noticeable difference in everything you do on your computer. Technology advances way to fast to bother with a top tier part unless you either have the cash to blow, or have a use for it that will give you a tangible benefit. You can never be truly future-proofed, and likely by the time programs are re-written to take advantage of more threads there are completely new processors out the will wipe the floor with your once top tier part. Also, if you plan to overclock definitely grab a 2500K processor, however, if you will not overclock then save a few more dollars and grab a 2400.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb