Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2011, 07:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

looks very solid. should be fun.
Old August 14, 2011, 07:28 PM
Top Prospect

Ordered! Plan to wait till the morning didnt work out, the CPU had limited quantities and numbers were going down too fast.

Thanks a ton for all your help! I feel like I made great choices but also refreshed my knowledge of hardware solutions in the mid-range market quite a bit.

Merci
Old August 17, 2011, 04:41 PM
Top Prospect

Hey I got my hardware today! Not bad for ground shipping, except...

.. the RAM's missing :/ They just shipped it separately late today.

Just wanted to report I7 2500Ks make fine paper-holders....

Old August 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nice hardware looks like you have a great set up. enjoy it.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Look great but where is your storage drive?
Old August 20, 2011, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Look great but where is your storage drive?
Oh, sorry if I didnt mention it before. This wasn't a "build from scratch" thing. I am replacing parts of my old box, and donating my old mobo/cpu/ram/gpu to a friend.

Basically I ended to keep my Antec case, my PSU, my floppy drive, my HDDs (3 of them, totalling 5 terra) and my two optical drives.

I spent much of the day doing just that, moving the old parts to an old tower and putting in the new hardware. Then I ran into a hitch; I discovered modern motherboards dont have an IDE connection anymore, the hard way. :( My optical drives were both IDE, and my only USB key was too small to put Win 7 on. So I went and paid twice the price I woulda paid at DirectCanada for a LG GH24NS70 (still pretty cheap). And I just spent the last hour battling with my case to put it in... somehow either it was defective or parts dilated over the years, because aligning screws was a terrible pain and I ended up using pointy ones to win my argument with the metal rack. Anyhow, RIP IDE drives, Ill put them in the system I'm giving my friend.

I still have some work to do, just taking a break. By bedtime, I WILL have Windows on this thing or fry every circuit trying. So say we all!

Edit: This is it. Im about to turn it on. ...

Sadly its a no-go. Not booting. Cpu Fan goes on for a few seconds and then stops grr. After a few seconds it starts again in a loop. Im getting too old to build my systems myself I'm afraid :(

After going through it several times the only thing I've found that concerns me, but that may be perfectly normal, is a missing connector on my main power plug... I mean this was powering another PC just fine yesterday but you never know.

Anyone thinks this is a problem? The matching pin on the motherboard seems to be normal. Any chance there was a pin there before and it fell off or something? This is a Coolermaster 700w silent pro.

Last edited by Valamyr; August 20, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old August 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
Top Prospect

Nevermind the above. No power issues. Code 1D10T.

... in my defense, I havent built actual hardware since 2006. I work in IT (ish), but purely software.

Anyhow, so future generations can laugh at me, I gotta fess up; I plugged a USB outlet in the firewire output. Mobo probably thought I was a Mac user or something and didn't like me, I can't blame it.

Now everything boots OK, except if my SSD drive is plugged in. New headache begins

Edit: HA! Found out why already... wowwowowwow working system!!!

Last edited by Valamyr; August 20, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old August 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
Top Prospect

Its one week later now, and i wanted to report everythings been running smoothly with the new rig after the initial headaches setting things up :) Benchmarks are great, overclocks are stable (running the CPU @ 4.4 and flashed the GPU to a 6970 running @ 900mhz), I'm in love with SSDs, Deus Ex: Human revolution @ 60FPS and everything loads super fast even heavily modded games!

I want to thank you everyone for all your invaluable help and I wanted to say, I'll be dropping by to keep learning more about hardware and perhaps help others too. Great community!

Extra thanks to my fellow Montrealer _dangtx_ who helped me in multiple threads and had very great advice!