Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Gaming PC ~$2300 CAD After Taxes

Current PC took a dump and I think it's a time for an upgrade.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming (BF3), multitasking, and doing school work.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
~$2300 CAD after taxes

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Canada (Canada Computers and NCIX)

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
I was thinking of of an AMD build this time round.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
None

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
More or less

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Overclocking

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Between now and Christmas (depends)

9. What resolution will you use?
1920x1080

Considered Parts
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula
CPU: Think I might wait for Bulldozer
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80/H100
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
OS/Programs HSD: Intel 510 120GB
Programs/Storage HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
Graphics Card: Should I wait for HD 7xxx/GTX 6xx? If not, I was thinking two XFX 6870 in CFX (but driver issues?)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1
PSU: Corsair AX850
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D

I've already decided on ODD, monitor, fans, and some other accessories.

Basically my questions are:
1. Any reason to go Intel?
2. Is wait for Bulldozer worth it?
3. How easy is it to set up SSD and update firmware? How reliable are they? (My concerns causing me to choose a high RPM HDD instead)
4. What graphics card???

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by Kommie986; August 14, 2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

1. If you prefer faster single threaded performance or you're mainly playing games with this rig, Intel is a better choice. BD is speculated to have better multithreaded performance over SB so go with BD if the programs you're running are heavily threaded.
2. Definitely. Maybe.
3. SSDs are still more reliable than a HDD I think due to the fact that they're small so you lose less data because you could cram in less data. Try getting Crucial SSDs or Intel which is supposed to have a lower failure rate than Sandforce based SSDs. On a side note, it is not worth it to get the Velociraptor when it pales in comparison to any SSDs in terms of performance.
4. I had built a rig for a friend of mine with HD6870 Crossfire and so far it is running strong. Definitely a little bit more troublesome compared to a single GPU when it comes to the software end but you get more performance than a single GTX580. Also with a HD6870 Crossfire you won't be needing more than 650W.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
1. If you prefer faster single threaded performance or you're mainly playing games with this rig, Intel is a better choice. BD is speculated to have better multithreaded performance over SB so go with BD if the programs you're running are heavily threaded.
2. Definitely. Maybe.
3. SSDs are still more reliable than a HDD I think due to the fact that they're small so you lose less data because you could cram in less data. Try getting Crucial SSDs or Intel which is supposed to have a lower failure rate than Sandforce based SSDs. On a side note, it is not worth it to get the Velociraptor when it pales in comparison to any SSDs in terms of performance.
4. I had built a rig for a friend of mine with HD6870 Crossfire and so far it is running strong. Definitely a little bit more troublesome compared to a single GPU when it comes to the software end but you get more performance than a single GTX580. Also with a HD6870 Crossfire you won't be needing more than 650W.
I think I'll wait for Bulldozer seeing as Intel motherboards and CPUs are very expensive. Is there any information on the pricing for Bulldozer? I'm hoping it won't be priced too high seeing as the P2X6s were priced well.

The only Intel (not too sure about Crucial) SATA 6Gb/s (I wanna use the full potential of my board) SSD that was in my price range was the 510 120GB one. So I'll replace the Velociraptor and Caviar Blue with that.

Did your friend have any initial issues with drivers? Or did he get it in like one shot? I think I'll stick with a 850W PSU for future-proofing.

And thanks for your input.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:46 PM
Banned
F@H

expect 8 core dozer around 4 core sb pricing..from what they say
Old August 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
MVP

If you buy it now, Intel i5 2500K and Sapphire HD6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition in CF.
Old August 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
I think I'll wait for Bulldozer seeing as Intel motherboards and CPUs are very expensive. Is there any information on the pricing for Bulldozer? I'm hoping it won't be priced too high seeing as the P2X6s were priced well.

The only Intel (not too sure about Crucial) SATA 6Gb/s (I wanna use the full potential of my board) SSD that was in my price range was the 510 120GB one. So I'll replace the Velociraptor and Caviar Blue with that.

Did your friend have any initial issues with drivers? Or did he get it in like one shot? I think I'll stick with a 850W PSU for future-proofing.

And thanks for your input.
BD is rumored to be around the $300 price point for the 8 core version. Some says its priced less and some say it is priced as much as a Core i7 2600K. It is all rumors but expect prices to be around $300.

It depends on the current driver that is released but definitely more work needs to be done compared to a single GPU solution. Results may also vary from game to game with multi GPU.