Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Another new rig

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
Ģ700
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
Britain
4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Ati + Amd fanboy
5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
Mouse, monitors, keyboard, disk drives.
6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
nope
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Maybe overclock depending if I can
8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
The next 3 months
9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

Here are the parts I've put together:
Newly decided upon:
Wasn't sure on the psu - never am. Could use some advice overall? Thanks.
Missed out fans - not going to watercool XD

Last edited by southbay; August 14, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old August 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
Rookie

3 months is a lot, prices, deals and mail in rebates will change a lot during that time frame
Old August 14, 2011, 11:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nothing really wrong with the build you are looking at, just a couple of suggestions for you though:

Corsiar psu's are actually made by Seasonic, so they are pretty decent. The 6950 you are looking at requires a minimum of a 500w psu, so why not give yourself a bit more headroom and go for Corsair TX 650W V2 ATX2.31 80 PLUSŪ Bronze Power Supply its 11 pounds more. Not something you really need to do, but the extra headroom is nice to have.

Why not look for a AM3+ motherboard instead? I would say keep the 955 BE you are thinking of, just put it into a newer motherboard, then sometime next year drop a bulldozer cpu into it. Again, not something you have to do, just more options down the road.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 14, 2011, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Nothing really wrong with the build you are looking at, just a couple of suggestions for you though:

Corsiar psu's are actually made by Seasonic, so they are pretty decent. The 6950 you are looking at requires a minimum of a 500w psu, so why not give yourself a bit more headroom and go for Corsair TX 650W V2 ATX2.31 80 PLUSŪ Bronze Power Supply its 11 pounds more. Not something you really need to do, but the extra headroom is nice to have.

Why not look for a AM3+ motherboard instead? I would say keep the 955 BE you are thinking of, just put it into a newer motherboard, then sometime next year drop a bulldozer cpu into it. Again, not something you have to do, just more options down the road.
I'll take your AM3+ into consideration as I have been thinking about this for a while. I was looking into overclocking it to 3.8ghz but I'm unsure about cooling.
I'll definitely be dropping a new processor so the AM3+ sounds a better plan.

Thanks for the help with the psu. I always struggle to understand how much I'll need etc. Appreciate it :)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakar View Post
3 months is a lot, prices, deals and mail in rebates will change a lot during that time frame
Of course they will! I'm a static kind of guy. My mind isn't easy to change unless I see real value in purchasing newer pieces of equipment. In the next 3 months, I don't see my mind changing through these choices. The plus side in this mindset being the prices will decrease making my build cheaper :).