Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the responses so far, I appreciate the input.

I don't want to entirely monopolize towards the GPU, but it is at the top of the list for my decision-making process.

Basically, I see my options as follows.

I'm just throwing these out there, because they are what seem to be coming back to me in the community and are the logical options:

1) 2 x 6970 2GB Crossfire: Rationale -Economical choice, if it can weather the storm this wins out. Big if?
2) 2 x 580 3GB SLI Rationale - Seems like this choice will not disappoint, but considerably more expensive
3) 1 x 590 Rationale - Futureproof friendly, I can always add a second 590 down the road?
4) 1 x 6990 Rationale - Also futureproof, but 2 6970's may perform better and are not as heavy an investment as nvidia, so I if siding iwth amd, might as well opt for the double 6970?
5) Wildcard, 3 SLI or 3 Crossfire the 570's or 6950's or 6970's.. I doubt this is feasible with 3 card issues I don't think this option is a contender, but I could be wrong
Old October 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
interesting every one is recommending dual card solutions.(1 powerful card > than 2 lesser cards is my rule of thumb, especially with all the driver issues)..
I had my trusty 5870 running 3 x24" samsung monitors no problem (eyefinity) on games, Call of duty black ops, just cause 2 etc...
mind you I gave up because i couldn't get used to 3 monitors.
Lets just say if you want to play BF3 at that res you aren't going to come anywhere close with any single card. Also a GTX 590/6990 is just SLI/crossfire on the same card so it counts as a two card solution (in headaches) anyways.

For the OP go with the 2x gtx 580's, AMD needs to get their drivers together (I'm even a bit of a radeon fanboy). You aren't going to be running 2x gtx 590's unless they are underwater because they run hotter than hell and get quite noisy especially when they are hot all the time.

I recommend a bigger PSU, nvidia recommend 1000w for SLI 580's so if you wanna overclock I would go with that AX 1200w.

Last edited by JJThomp; October 28, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old October 28, 2011, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Stick with your 2 580s or go to a 590, but I would go to a bigger PSU. 850W is enough, but not much headroom and Although Silverstone are pretty decent, the corsair AX is near unbeatable...Or the Antec High Current Pro.

Also heard there were some BIOS compatibility issues (and other issues) with the Patriot Wildfire. The M4 might be a better choice.
Old October 29, 2011, 11:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I can definitely justify going AX1200 PSU, as I don't think it can be viewed as a bad investment. I am leaning towards the M4 as well, thank you for the heads up on the costlier wildfire counterpart.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from where I'm standing, looking at my display set up and expectations to run these three dell monitors in surround with good results against BF3 and upcoming releases, my options are pretty constricted.. in fact it pretty much looks like dictated that I will need to go dual 580 3GB's. The last thing I want to experience is a case of buyer's remorse from choosing an inadequate GPU setup. With that said, other options seem.. less than viable? (plz tell me if I'm wrong)

My second fear is that I shell out the extra cookies for the Dual 580 3GB's and see the cards depreciate to soon to make the investment worthwhile.

One thing's for sure, is that I will be buying under today's market conditions, I've waited long enough and want to build within the week. Any final thoughts for closing this decision will be appreciated. I just want to make the decision given the information available to me.. you all are a great portion of that source.

Thanks all!

Current tentative GPU config: dual gtx 580 3gb (in line with latest review from HWC on surround gaming).

Thank you
Old October 30, 2011, 10:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

And something I didn't see in the review, is Dual 570 2.5GB a good option over the 580 3GB's ?
Old October 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly in the next 6 months nvidia and AMD are releasing new cards and at that point your cards will be worth a lot less, so they will depreciate rather quickly. Also there is virtually no difference between gtx 580 1.5gb and 3gb even in surround set-up because the 580's cant work fast enough to take of that much vram anyways. Dual 570's might work for you to save some money but I don't know if they can even handle BF3 at that resolution I believe 580's are your only option and even then i believe they cut it pretty close.
Old November 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I just ordered the 2600k, and plan to order the extreme7 gen3, ax1200 and gpus within the next 48 hours. As far as GPUS, I wish the dual 580 3GB's weren't so expensive at this time, but it looks like it's my only option in surround? (5700x3600) three 1900x1200's.
I would like to get some suggestions on the best case for my build. I would also like to order this asap. At this point I am leaning towards getting a HAF X blue edition, and swapping the window panel for a full window HAF 932 panel. (Like $30 on CM). I will also need more fans, as I understand the case wouldn't come with enough. That said, I want to know if there are better case options out there. Here are my 5 case selection criteria in order of importance:

1) Proper air flow and space - Big enough to hold 3 large video cards if necessary (currently planning dual 580 3gb's, with extreme7 gen3 with possibility to add 3rd down the road, also space for a large psu etc. (I've only been researching full towers, as I don't want to risk any spacing issues with any form of midtower)

2) Transparent side panel either full or to showcase the impressive inside! (or, at least a model that is possible to order a transparent side from the manufacturer)

3) Has at least 1 USB 3.0 on the front panel. ( I've come close to falling in love with cases like the Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P50R , but it only has usb 2.0 on the front panel) I suppose if I can upgrade the front panel somehow, it can be worth it!

4) Ideal cost is around $200, 50% above this would require great investment benefit. To be quite honest, if the case scored 10/10 in every category I would do it. (i.e. I wouldn't get the 800D because it sucks at airflow, and I wouldn't get a thermaltake L10 because it is not aesthetically pleasing, just goofy imo)
5) Bonus if the case will future proof, in that I can use watercooling equipment should I choose to watercool my rig in the future.

*I can have the case shipped to USA or Canada, so that is a plus for shipping requirements and pricing.

I think I've spent 20 hours researching cases and keep running into walls. What say you all? I want the case to reflect the investment I'm putting inside it !!!
Old November 11, 2011, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

CM HAF X
CM STORM TROOPER
SS RV03

Which would you guys pick? Would the RV03 have enough space for a large air build?
Old November 11, 2011, 11:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
CM HAF X
CM STORM TROOPER
SS RV03

Which would you guys pick? Would the RV03 have enough space for a large air build?

If I had to choose? From using and enjoying my HAF932, I would put my Vote on the HAF X.
It gives you more than enough room for cable routing, Aircooling.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 11, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
CM HAF X
CM STORM TROOPER
SS RV03

I would get the RV03 because it really is the king of air cooling, and I think cooler master cases are ugly.