Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
Rookie

Default Power Supply & Ram memory

Hi guys,

I am wondering which power supply unit & Ram Memory would be good to fit in with my following computer parts, as I'm not very sure about it.

my components are:
1) Radeon HD6970 Sapphire (x2)
2) Crosshair IV Formula
3) 1100T AMD CPU
4) OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD
5) WD Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Hard Drive
6) Corsair 600T (Black casing)
7) PSU (Undecided)
8) Ram Memory (Undecided)

Currently in my closet I've this components and right now I still have not decide which power supply unit (my preference would be Corsair/OCZ brand 80+ silver, bronze or gold). & ram memory should I get. (my preference would be Corsair/OCZ brand).
It would be great if you guys could comment about my build, and which PSU & ram memory should I get.

My aspect: I would like my rig to able to with stand punishment (heavy duty); 24/5, heavy duty gaming, 3D movies & games, music mixer or music DJ-ing, video editing, love fast performance Rig, if to the point of boredness I will do mid-range overclocking.

Why AMD:
1) I have not use AMD products before; hence to add ontop of this, it's also going to be my 2nd computer build.
2) hmm only have three answer for it! Err.. is cheap?? good?? reasonable??

Why not Intel:
1) I have been always using Intel since when I'm young, so I wanna try something new, currently i own 2 Intel Laptops (one for multimedia (HD movies, gaming, music, etc) the other for schooling.) and 1 Intel computer (for most of the stuffs, but however i damage my motherboard by accident, sooo yeah. is my fault)
2) Actually I love Intel, but the problem is it is too Ex.... $$$$. They have seriously great performance.

I'm still a student. Currently in 3rd year Bach in Civil Engineering; I know the above aspect of me is totally different from my studies, but hey it's my hobby.
I'm currently staying in Canada (Vancouver, BC), staying with room mates, I'm asian man. Lolz =D

Thank you for your time. ^^

Last edited by Appealle; August 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old August 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

First welcome aboard

You didn't mention anything about what your budget was, but take a look at these suggestions:

PSU: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX 12V Single Rail 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze - Corsair - CMPSU-650TXV2 - in Canada

Its on sale this week for $79.99 and a decent psu to boot. A bit over powered for the parts you have, however it gives you lots of juice to play with. Plus at that price, you can't beat it.

You will find that OCZ isn't a very popular brand on these boards....Corsair, XFX, Antec, and Seasonic are the most popular ones here. Both Corsair and XFX are made by Seasonic.

RAM: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit - Corsair - CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 - in Canada 4GB of ram for about $30. Not too shabby and should work fine for you.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 4, 2011, 05:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
First welcome aboard

You didn't mention anything about what your budget was, but take a look at these suggestions:

PSU: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX 12V Single Rail 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS Bronze - Corsair - CMPSU-650TXV2 - in Canada

Its on sale this week for $79.99 and a decent psu to boot. A bit over powered for the parts you have, however it gives you lots of juice to play with. Plus at that price, you can't beat it.

You will find that OCZ isn't a very popular brand on these boards....Corsair, XFX, Antec, and Seasonic are the most popular ones here. Both Corsair and XFX are made by Seasonic.

RAM: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit - Corsair - CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 - in Canada 4GB of ram for about $30. Not too shabby and should work fine for you.
Thx for the welcome =D
hmm.. opps. my buget for both PSU & Ram memory would be 430.50CAD
Old August 4, 2011, 05:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, knowing your budget now I wouldn't change much other than adding another set of the ram to give you 8 GB total. Then get yourself an aftermarket cooler for when you over clock.

Stay with the lower profile memory types though, so you don't run into clearance issues with heatsinks and ram.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 4, 2011, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Well, knowing your budget now I wouldn't change much other than adding another set of the ram to give you 8 GB total. Then get yourself an aftermarket cooler for when you over clock.

Stay with the lower profile memory types though, so you don't run into clearance issues with heatsinks and ram.
wow the PSU is really on sale 30bucks discount, thats a lot.
now PSU Check...
But does 650watts enough power to make everything work?
Old August 4, 2011, 05:50 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Missed the x2 after the 6970 in your original post. How about this one: NCIX.com - Buy Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850M 850W ATX Modular Power Supply Active PFC 120MM Fan 5 Year Warranty - Others - CP-9020004-NA - in Canada ? Listed at about $134.
Old August 4, 2011, 05:54 PM
Rookie

hmmm.. actually I'm kinda confuse like how do I know what type of PSU do I need for mine computer rig build.
Old August 4, 2011, 06:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just get a psu that puts out solid power on its 12V rail or rails. The other components in the case their power from the 12V side. I prefer single rail set ups so I don't need to think about load balancing or anything like that.

A modular psu just helps keep excesss clutter out of the case...means improved airflow.
Old August 4, 2011, 09:16 PM
Rookie

Hi PerryC, I think for PSU I'll get the Corsair 80+ plus gold AX850Watts, in case of any future upgrade.

But for the Ram memory I'm still not confident with it.