Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 3, 2011, 12:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 2500k gaming build: feedback on parts list needed

I have decided to upgrade the pc for the new games coming out shortly such as bf3 and diablo3 as my current pc is starting to get too old.
I have previously built my own pcs (about 8 years ago) but my last one was a pre-built hp but im ready to build a decent gaming pc now.

I have done some homework and I understand that the way to go is a 2500k as i wont be doing any encoding or video editing. So i will be building around this cpu and will hopefully overclock to roughly 4.2-4.4 with air cooling. I have a rough draft of the components that i want... but I do have some hesitation when it comes to some parts such as the mobo and the gpu

I have started buying some items i found on sale:

cm storm scout case
corsair 600cx psu
corsair a50 cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600mhz
1tb green ( have 1 lying around)

Upcoming purchases
i5 2500k
ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z Z68 ( after many reviews seems these boards are very good for the 2500k )
or I was suggested Asus P8P67 PRO instead the difference is about 30$ from the little research i did 170$ for the maximus and 140$ for the p67...
*This is one of my current dillemmas im not to sure which motherboard to go for
6870 video card (would add second later for cf)
*I am pretty inclined towards this card due to the sweet spot in pricing and performance with 2 x 6870 it outperforms a single 6970 which costs a little more then both cards...but feel free to chime in on this choice
60-120gb ssd depending on price for windows and common apps/games
*not sure what kind to get... I understand they have different generations with different read/write speed standards

thanks again
fellow canucks
Old August 3, 2011, 07:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If you get a ssd and the Z68 board you were looking at, you will be able to take advantage of ssd cahcing to help speed up commonly used games and applications. Since you already are thinking of both a ssd and the Z68 board that $30 difference is moot.

The only thing you might want to take into consideration that to run two video cards you are likely going to want a bigger video card just to make sure you have enough juice. The Corsair 600W you have now will work fine for the one card.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 3, 2011, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
If you get a ssd and the Z68 board you were looking at, you will be able to take advantage of ssd cahcing to help speed up commonly used games and applications. Since you already are thinking of both a ssd and the Z68 board that $30 difference is moot.

The only thing you might want to take into consideration that to run two video cards you are likely going to want a bigger video card just to make sure you have enough juice. The Corsair 600W you have now will work fine for the one card.
do u mean a bigger Power Supply?

I thought about it... i found a deal on a 600cx for 42$ so thought it would be a good start.. i realise that with 2 cards it probably wont be enough.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Your build looks good but what is your budget?

A 6950 would be better than the 6870 if you can squeeze it in there. If not maybe squeeze in a 560 ti
Old August 3, 2011, 09:39 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

yeah i would say if you can, upgrade to a 6950. also, the GENE is an m-ATX board, which is one of the reasons I didn't go for it, but it is packed with features.
Old August 3, 2011, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies guys...

I looked at the current pricing and the 6870 could be had in Canada for around 150-170$ after MIR whereas the 6950 cheapest i could find with a quick search is around 210 after MIR

I had compared the 6950 to the 6870 at anandtech and the difference didnt seem so great for the price different of 60-80$
Old August 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
yeah i would say if you can, upgrade to a 6950. also, the GENE is an m-ATX board, which is one of the reasons I didn't go for it, but it is packed with features.

could you explain to me what the disadvantage is of a m-atx board... i havent found any information on this while searching for mobo details
Old August 3, 2011, 01:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsin View Post
could you explain to me what the disadvantage is of a m-atx board... i havent found any information on this while searching for mobo details
none particularly, its just smaller, but i needed PCI slots when i did my upgrade and it doesn't seem that the GENE has it. But if you don't need the PCI slots, it's great. If only I didn't need them...
Old August 3, 2011, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman7k View Post
none particularly, its just smaller, but i needed PCI slots when i did my upgrade and it doesn't seem that the GENE has it. But if you don't need the PCI slots, it's great. If only I didn't need them...
Ah i see... so basically it would change the amount of PCI slots that i would have on the board.
How many PCI slots would I need if I am planning to cf down the line? also what kind i noticed there are different PCI slots from what i understand i would need 2 x pci x16 slots which would work at x8 dual for the crossfire right?
Old August 3, 2011, 04:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

well the thing is if you want to crossfire you have the PCI-E slots to do so.

For things like a wireless card (unless they make PCI-E wireless cards...? )or an older sound card, you gotta have the PCI slots. Then again, the GENE comes with a sound card so, that's probably not an issue.