Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2011, 03:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default gradual upgrade Gaming/rendering

I am try to help a friend of mine choose an upgrade path on this old hp pc. He brought it over last night and I took a look at it. fyi those cases are a mess on the inside, wires everywhere. This pc will be used for mostly gaming and some 3d rendering.

Currently,
Cpu - Q9300
Motherboard - ? lga 775 socket
VGA - msi Nvidia 250
PSU - delta 430w
CPU - Cooler stock
Case - hp small and cluttered.

On a limited budget , how should we proceed upgrading this? Is the q9300 a good over clocker? Thinking Case>video card>Motherboard>Cooler>CPU>PSU ? Open to any suggestions other than just junking it and starting new. I am looking for the most cost effective way of doing this as he is not able to spend tonnes of cash now.
Old July 31, 2011, 04:09 AM
Banned
F@H

well he can keep the hdd and cdrom and...everything else will go

start with mobo and cpu,something like an i3 1156 or i5(1155)
and then muster up for a 6950

hell have him run it on his desk if need be before next paycheck(case?:))

that's what i did for a bud of mine,borrowed him the lot of parts minus a case which i didnt have used.
till he could afford the rest.
Old July 31, 2011, 06:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I know it is all going to have to go soon. I know he probably paid 1000+ dollars for this when he got it 2 years ago. I think he plans on doing a big build in the future when more cash is available. I was just thinking what would be the best limited options to make improvements? Or is it better to just use what he has now and save up.

I had it hear last night and I cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste for the CPU and GPU. I was just amazed at the mess in there. No air flow at all, wires everywhere. I wanted to take it all out and clean it but it was just a nightmare. PSU at the top, motherboard inverted, cables everywhere, No air flow at all.

What about this Buy COOLERMASTER [RC-370-KKN1] Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS for a case and just pull everything out and put it in that. Maybe that is just more for my benefit than actual performance.
Old July 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
Banned
F@H

dude get a 912 lol
Old July 31, 2011, 10:43 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

One issue you are likely to encounter right away is the mobo itself. Might not even be a standard size, mounting holes might not be in the regular location and so on. Ran into that with my Dell. That lead me to a full upgrade.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:54 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tianfeng View Post
I know it is all going to have to go soon. I know he probably paid 1000+ dollars for this when he got it 2 years ago. I think he plans on doing a big build in the future when more cash is available. I was just thinking what would be the best limited options to make improvements? Or is it better to just use what he has now and save up.

I had it hear last night and I cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste for the CPU and GPU. I was just amazed at the mess in there. No air flow at all, wires everywhere. I wanted to take it all out and clean it but it was just a nightmare. PSU at the top, motherboard inverted, cables everywhere, No air flow at all.

What about this Buy COOLERMASTER [RC-370-KKN1] Coolermaster Elite 370 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 3X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS for a case and just pull everything out and put it in that. Maybe that is just more for my benefit than actual performance.
I just replaced mine with a Fractal Design R3

The Coolermaster 370 is ok for very small builds with not too much of a wire mess... + it is quite noisy.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
One issue you are likely to encounter right away is the mobo itself. Might not even be a standard size, mounting holes might not be in the regular location and so on. Ran into that with my Dell. That lead me to a full upgrade.
HP pcs do not use standard Mobo form factor too. I tried with one at the office, and it is a completly messed up form factor.

Edit2: Also, HP motherboards might not be plenty of OCing features... so that might not be possible.
Old July 31, 2011, 11:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ouch. ok thanks for the help. I didn't know hp used non standard boards. It looked like a matx but it had 4 ram slots and all of the 775's I looked at that were Matx only had 2.
Old July 31, 2011, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Took me a while to remember, but my old Dell uses a BTX or a slightly altered BTX form factor. Its possible thats what HP uses for theirs as well.